Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for the kind words, Smack!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
As promised....an appropriate "aura" if I do say so myself!

Now you Easties get the hell out there and SAIL!!!! We only have 6 months 'til the next BFS Cup!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I found a picture of Smack on the Internet that doesn't block out his face.

Old 06-23-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I know I going to regret this! OK, do tell, What is a brownie sandwich.

Never Forgotten

Old 06-23-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The 'brownie sandwich' is just another juvenile joke. It really was a dessert dish.
No brawls, no getting 86'd from the restaurant.
Everything was quite civil even if a bit inebriated.
I am glad to hear that Mike was able to take Mr. Smacky out on his Beneteau on the Hudson. He is a bit different in person then just on the web - he is in marketing after all.
I'm pretty sure i broke a finger nail at least.
Man overboard!

Everybody has one:

Old 06-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That explains so much....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I am glad to hear that Mike was able to take Mr. Smacky out on his Beneteau on the Hudson. He is a bit different in person then just on the web - he is in marketing after all.
I'm pretty sure i broke a finger nail at least.
Man overboard!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-05-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
OkaY - so...holiday weekend...nutty weather...what did we get? Anyone pull one down?????

Me? Nice sail on Friday morning. 10-15 knots. Nice and mellow. Burned the HELL out of my back while showing off my "ab". Not at all bad - but not BFS.

Looks like donhaller had a sweet sail and enjoyed some cotton mouth. Great job bro!

Who else? Surely we had at least ONE SiNcity denizen throw out the JSD. Anyone....anyone??? Bueller??
Old 07-05-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Smack, today on Long Island sound, the winds were 20-25, we sailed out of the harbor without engine and then back in with only a couple of engine moments. The route is shaped something like a question mark, so we enjoyed those little boosts. Really a great sail. We got a chance to reef the jib, and used the traveller to reduce heeling.

For those on the November BF-Delivery, we did have the chips and salsa out, and the salsometer was reading a lot of heel.

We took turns at the helm and had an absolute blast. I have a picture in the camera. Guess you'll have to wait until winter. Too much to do right now.
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 07-06-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2009

On the 4th we ( my son Michael 12 years old, my attorney buddy Allen and myself) decided we would sail down to the New York Harbor to see the Macy fireworks. The last time I had gone down to the harbor for the fireworks was 8 years ago when my daughter Courtney was 15 and I swore I would never go back again. Due to the boat traffic and the Idiots driving them. But My son really wanted to see them in person, so being the over indulgent father that I am, we made plans to leave the dock at 4pm.

My son and I arrive at the marina a little after 3 pm. Before we get to our boat, one the boat club members stops on the dock and says, "you are not going out today are you?" I told him we were planing to go see the fireworks. He says, "Mike it is blowing and rough out there, I would not go out." It was blowing a bit, 15 to 20 knots, but not like the club member was trying to make it out.

Allen shows up shortly thereafter and we head out down the Hudson under a full jib and reefed main making 6 1/2+ kts toward the city. Our trip would be just over 62 km down and back.

We get to the harbor a little after 8pm and the harbor is very crowded. The USCG had the river blocked off about the 59th street boat basin.

The fireworks started at 9:20 pm and were spectacular. For those of you that have never seen them I would highly recommend that you do.

The fireworks were over at 10 pm and we started back North. By now the wind had died down so we were motoring at 6 kts. Being passed by every motor boat on the river heading North. I am talking hundreds if not thousands of boats. Boats with out navigation lights weaving in and out of other boats doing 20 to 30 knots. The Harbor was getting very rough with the wakes of all the boats.

There we were getting tossed about by all the wakes hitting us. Wakes hitting us from all sides and the stern. These wakes were building to 4 to 5 feet. This is why I had not been back for 8 years.

Allen my buddy, says to me that he is glad we are not on his boat because "we would be getting wet."

(This is the BFS part)

5 min's later, 2 large power boats are coming up us from behind. One on port and the other on starboard. They are moving along about 15 kts and throwing huge wakes. They pass us 10 yards to each side. I am behind the wheel and I yell to everyone to hang on. Their wakes meet behind our stern and are moving forward in a perfect V about 6 feet high. I feel the stern of our boat lift. I am not sure when it going to stop rising. Then all of the sudden the boat falls off to starboard. We hit the bottom of that trough with a thud and about at 30 to 45 degree angle. The next thing I saw was another 5 foot wake rolling in and coming over the lifeline and hitting Allen square from the neck down, as he was sitting on the starboard cockpit seat.

Now I am a compassionate man. But this was just to much! Knowing that the river temp is only 60 degrees or so. I could not help myself, I am laughing hysterically! He is cussing at the power boats and I am laughing harder! I had not laughed like that in almost 2 years.

While I am laughing at Allen, I notice that my soda was still sitting in it's koozie on the seat next to Allen. I say to Allen "what are you bitching about, I didn't even spill my soda." I then pick up my soda to add insult to injury and take a big gulp. I get nothing but a mouth full of Hudson river water and spit it out and spray it all over Allen.

Now Allen is madder than H, I am laughing even harder and my son is laughing at both of us. We were still laughing about it when we got back to the marina at 2:30 in the morning.

It was a 4th of July we will never forget.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 07-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2009
Last Man Standing

And with this, the Easties have just taken the lead for the "2009 BFS Cup". Great story Bubb. I wish I could have been there!