Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I wish I could have been there!
Smack, my words didn't and couldn't do it Justice. ( yes, that was a Attorney pun) I wish you were with us also. You would have written it up much better than I and you would still be laughing. It was that funny!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
This BFS story is just too classic. Okay, maybe ill-advised, poorly executed, and freakin' dangerous...but moxie-soaked nonetheless. And he got some good advice and commiseration in his thread. So it's all good.

TravisT - you got moxie, dude. I wish you had a pic of yourself holding your flailing outboard by the throttle. Hilarious.

Score one classic for the Lakies (Sway, your team's finally on the board):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
So i finally got my own boat and took her out today for the first time... enjoy the story.

alright so we get the boat out there all is good... get her in the water fine. push off the dock, motor out a little ways and raise the main and the jib. All is going good were pretty much just trial and error figuring the wind out. So we do this for like 3-4 hours find a nice little cove with a beach for next time and decide to head back in about 4 oclock. We've kinda just been runnin with the wind (away from the marina and boat ramp) and decide to be lazy and take the sails down and just motor her back in. We get the motor started but about 5 min later it dies for some reason. So we decide not to be lazy raise the jib back up and sail her in. Well we're not the best sailors yet. Next thing we know where slowly buy surely heading into the dam. Try the motor again still not turning over. So about 10 min later and a pretty decent impact my boat is getting thrashed againts a rock dam. There's not a boat in site to come help us and we have zero ideas. waters coming over the portside, lines are everywhere, stuffs breaking it was bad. We end up just getting out of the boat and chilling on the rocks as i watch my new toy get thrashed against the rocks. It'd be abotu an hour walk back to the marina so that's our last option. I got back on the boat to grab a shirt or something and try the motor again. It fired up! So as my brother and my freind are pushing me off i somehow get about 100 yards away from the dam under motor. What do you know the wooden part that connects the motor to the boat snaps and i grab the engine to save it from sinking to the bottom of the lake. so now i'm screwed... again. My brother and my friend are still on the damn. I'm in the middle of the lake. i drop anchor and ditch the boat and swim to my brother and friend. just as were about to hike it back to the marina we see our rescue boat on the horizon. i swim back out to my boat and hook up the towline to get towed in. The rudder had some damage while getting thrashed agianst the rocks so i'm litterally holding the rudder in the water (which is reaaally really hard) while were getting towed back to the marina. As i'm getting towed away i see a cop picking up my brother and friend. 30 min tow ride later were at the marina. we get the trailer ready. We had quite the time getting her back on the trailer because my truck hitch sits pretty high and i haven't gotten a drop down hitch yet so the back end of the trailer kept getting caught. About an hour later (and some help from some mroe expirienced boaters) we got her all hooked up and finally got her home. We finally got home around 9:00. We started heading in at 4:00. Haha. Some how we got outa this thing with no tickets which is a mircale casue she's not registered yet and all we had were 3 lifejackets.Overall it was a great day adn i still had a lot of fun.

Things that broke/need fixed:
Rudder
Motor Mount
2 Iphones
1 Blackberry
my pride haha
Old 07-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Insane!

From the best television show on the planet..."Deadliest Catch". Here's a crazy wave sequence. Bear in mind that this is a 155' fishing vessel - and a 40' wave.

Think about being in your sailboat (drogue or chute...who gives a damn) and trying' not to soil your foulies while staring this thing in the face...

Respect to these guys. No doubt.
Old 07-10-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Did you see the footage from the previous week(s) where the Wizard was nailed by a wave that took out half the crew? Broken ribs, busted up faces. It was nuts. The skipper was nervous about going back out after dropping off his injured at the hospital. I don't blame him.
Old 07-10-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Think about being in your sailboat (drogue or chute...who gives a damn) and trying' not to soil your foulies while staring this thing in the face...
In a breaking sea there is no place to run or hide! And I don't care what Uncle Albert has to say.

Never Forgotten

Old 07-10-2009
Last Man Standing

Pain - yeah I forgot about that one. Same boat knockin' back two 40's on the same trip. I'll see if I can find a cap of that first one.

Bubb - yeah, Seabrake, JSD, ParaAnchor, whatever...like it matters at that point. I swear it gives me butterflies just thinking about it.
Old 07-13-2009
Last Man Standing

A BFS stolen from Tommays and MrWuffles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
It was a rock and roll day with what was suppose to have been 15 knots out of the perfect direction BUT upped the game to to 18 to 22+ all day in just the WRONG direction

We had a nice spinnaker start and were really rolling and staying with the big guys when it picked up to 22 and went to far forward and started knocking the whole fleet down So we headed down and doused the chute and kept on trucking with the main and jib and covered 18 miles in a bit over 2 hours

We had on insane minute when a Santa Cruz 52 from spin 3 felt the need to get knocked down about 40 feet from us while passing at about 15 knots

Then we had to get home the OTHER 18 miles which took 3.5 hours with a wave breaking over the boat about every 11 seconds

mr and myself are doing the 190 mile Around long island race on July 22 on Zzzoom so he has a better idea about misery on the rail now
You guys seriously rock!

So the Easties are eatin' it up in '09. Where are you Westies?
Old 07-13-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
So when you start your sailing season on July 12th, any sail is a BFS. In that regard, Long Island Sound with 15 kt winds was beautiful yesterday. Taking my light boat, with just the genoa out was great fun. Even the wife approved! No awards, but it put a smile on my face. So go out and enjoy even the mild ones (as opposed to the wild ones).
Old 07-13-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
A BFS stolen from Tommays and MrWuffles...

You guys seriously rock!

So the Easties are eatin' it up in '09. Where are you Westies?
Refitting our boats.....
Old 07-15-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Just another day in paradise

Double handed with Mrs. B last weekend on SF Bay. 30 kts sustained winds in the slot with gusts over that. Flew the blade and full main. Would have reefed, but was having too much fun. Besides, the new tapedrive main really likes strong breezes. Big flood tide so the chop was down, making for fast conditions. Nothing to surf but we were able to sail at hull speed. Couldn’t talk her into flying the kite however. Perhaps next weekend. I’ll write again when something noteworthy happens.