Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
If h'cane Bill heads our way you can break out your spinnaker or remove all your canvas as you choose.
Okay Denby, when you do that, TAKE SOME PICS!!! You'll ensure that the Easties grease The Cup, no problem!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2009

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone anticipate the current H. Bill to provide some good BFS stories this weekend?
Old 08-21-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Caleb,

My boat will be on the hard by then, I lose my mooring on November 1.

Unless I can swing some vaca time and take a trip.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-21-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes726 View Post
Does anyone anticipate the current H. Bill to provide some good BFS stories this weekend?
Heh-heh. Yeah dio, you go on out there and throwdown dude! Man I couldn't imagine being stuck in that bad boy.

Has anyone heard from that guy that was leaving Bermuda last weekend? Jeez I hope he missed that stuff.

HEY DENBY...WHERE'S THAT BFSNORKELING STORY DUDE????

Old 08-21-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Caleb,

My boat will be on the hard by then, I lose my mooring on November 1.
Unless I can swing some vaca time and take a trip.
Dennis,
Getting your boat out of the water on LIS by Nov. 1 is a reasonable precaution against fall storms which are inevitable. During that trip last year 11/15-16 we spent the night tied up to a dock in Port Jeff for free as the marina was already shuttered. The only other boats we saw on the water during that trip were Coasties and tugs doing their normal business.
Enjoy it while the season lasts.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-21-2009
Last Man Standing

Hey Caleb...what's up bro?? Have you had the Tartan out recently?

BTW - I still have very fond memories of our drive to Bene's boat. Great conversation. I had a lot of fun with you guys. You have to come to Austin sometime, dude.

Old 08-24-2009
Last Man Standing

Some fun BFS'n from CapnSantiago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSantiago View Post
I've read/heard of knock downs but never experienced one...unless:

I was sailing Lake Texoma on my Islander 30 this weekend (as usual) which had some quirky winds from the east/southeast. Heading north hugging the east shore where the channel is I was on a starboard fore-beam reach with winds about 15 (less than 20 as there were no whitecaps) a gust almost dipped the rail but not quite and I instictively headed up to take advantage of the blow with full main and genoa flying. The wind strengthened and dipped the rail to the enthusiasm of my First Mate Barbara (we had only buried the rail once before on this boat...unlike the regular routine on the J24 we used to sail). The boat then dipped further and white water on the rail turned to green water on the rail to white water over the coaming and into the cockpit dowsing my aft portside stern mounted speaker. Vanishing Point got a little squirrely feeling momentarily as though she was trying to spin on her side to starboard as everything starboard side in the cabin crashed accross the cabin sole. This lasted all of 5 seconds or less as I corrected to port and she stood back up and sailed on as if nothing had happened on a steady beam. As Barb and I continued to feel our quickened pulses and laugh in amazement listening to the garbled water soaked speaker we noted the bottom 12" of foresail was also wet and had obviously dipped.

So, does this qualify as a knockdown? I've heard a knockdown is when the mast hits the water (though I'm not sure if this is meant literally) and I know the spreaders didn't touch. Also, was the side spin feeling the start of what I've heard as a broach? I want to put this one in the log book, especially if it qualifies as a knockdown (not something you're suppose to strive for I suppose...but worthy of documentation).
That rates. And I'd say that faster pulses and laughter is a sign of having a freakin' blast!

Old 08-25-2009
Last Man Standing

Okay Omatako...I want to hear more about these!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
We had two knock-downs on our trip from the US to New Zealand in 2007, both in the same storm.

The first we were lying a-hull at 3:00am and were hit beam-on by a broken wave. The force was enough to knock cabinetry off the walls down below. My wife went into freefall across our cabin and landed in the join between the deck and the hull so we figure that we went to at least a horizontal mast.

The second was in the following dawn when we were motoring out of the storm and we drove up the side of a wave at an angle and the top of the wave broke against the side of the boat when we were about half way up.

In this event the mast went well below horizontal because we were in the cockpit and the mast was in the trough of the wave with the wind anemometer underwater. I watched that happen and it was confirmed by the wind indicator being stuck on 74 knots when the boat stood up (don't know why) and it only worked for another few days before packing it in altogether.

So I guess a knock-down for me is a roll-over that get's arrested at the last moment and the boat stands up again. I don't know why we didn't role the second time but I know that I was ready to take a really deep breath.

When I was young and foolish and raced boats, we had many spinnaker broaches and to me they don't qualify as a knock-down. I guess everyone has a different view and none are actually wrong - it's what it means to you that counts.

Old 08-25-2009
Last Man Standing

Here's a link to the source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by by Hal Roth
But what gives this book a kicker was John's chance meeting with a yacht named Tzu Hang, a 46-foot wooden ketch owned by two keen sailors named Miles and Beryl Smeeton. John and the Smeetons saw one another in various harbors, occasionally sailed in company, and became fast friends as they worked their way across the Pacific. The Smeetons decided to sail from Melbourne, Australia to the Falkland Islands via Cape Horn. They wanted a third person as crew to make the watches easier.

"Will you hold up your trip and come along with us for a few months?" asked the Smeetons. "Of course," said John. It was a fateful decision.

So halfway through his trip around the world, John stored his yacht ashore, moved aboard Tzu Hang, and used his skills to help prepare the big ketch for the Cape Horn adventure. At the end of 1956 the threesome set off on the 6,700-mile run to the Falkland Islands. However, about 1,000 miles west of the western entrance to the Strait of Magellan they had an experience that was to change their lives.

While Beryl Smeeton was steering, a colossal wave waterfalled onto the yacht and capsized and pitchpoled the vessel. Not only did Tzu Hang lose her masts, bowsprit, and rudder, but the huge wave stripped the decks clean and even tore off the stout wooden doghouse. This left a great hole in the deck through which water poured below. Beryl was injured, over the side, and thirty yards away. The yacht was flooded. It looked like the end of the affair. Beryl managed to swim back to Tzu Hang. The men pulled her on board.

"I know where the buckets are," she said, and set everyone to work.

John tacked sails and bits of wood torn from below over the opening in the deck. Meanwhile the Smeetons bailed from below. In the days that followed, John used his boatbuilding skills and constructed new masts from the inside woodwork that he took down. The threesome cut smaller sails from the spare sails. They built a steering oar, gradually converted the wreck into a seagoing proposition, and somehow managed to sail to Coronel, Chile with the jury rig. It was an incredible achievement, and one that you read with tears in your eyes. They had literally come back from the dead. It's a story that all explorers and sailors and adventurers know-or should know.

"There was a wonderful feeling of comradeship between the three of us," writes John. "We all realized that without the other two we would never have survived and though we all wanted to get into Coronel, I think we also realized that we would never be this close again."

These modest words belie the greatest adventure of his life.
Thanks to Val for the heads-up.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-25-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2009
Last Man Standing

Holy crap!! I just got hit with a t storm packing wind of 50 KNOTS while on my boat!!! I'm sending from my iPhone. Will post more later. I've got some cleaning up to do.