Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now porc - THAT'S what it's ALL ABOUT!!! Very cool.

I blew my 110 with CharlieCobra on New Year's day. It was the most fun I've had sailing thus far. But I refused to marry him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Labatt, I especially love your urge to throw down a "Yeeehaaawwww!" when cranking along at 8.4 knots. That's awesome.

Old 08-28-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Sometimes there really are silver linings in these storms. In your case, it was stopping the Barry Manilow record!!!!
Old 08-29-2009
Last Man Standing

Barry Manilow: the true and original FightClub Sailor. Actually, I think Surfesq WAS BM (and I don't mean Bowel Movement).

Dude, have you never listened to the lyrics of "Mandy"? That's got sailing all over it! Kind of like the "Old Spice" of horrible pop music.

Let me share...

If this doesn't make you want to die at sea in a huge freakin' storm...nothing will.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-29-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Barry Manilow? Eeeew! Totally un-cool on so many levels. Please keep those memories to yourself!

Smacker,
I really enjoyed reading Chris' (er, Labatt's) entry in his blog of that storm that blew though NY City over a week ago. I ran to the computer to check the local radar and noticed that the nasty reds and yellows of the high cloud tops were mostly south of us, out on the ocean off the coast of No Jersey. Presumably SV Pelican was about 40 - 50 nm south of NY Harbor when the proverbial **** hit the fan.
I enjoyed watching all the 100+ year old Red Oak trees sway in the winds that came through with an amazing lightning show. I estimated the gusts to be in the 40 to 50 range. I was kinda glad to be on land as I have been through at least one quick lightning storm while going through the East River a few years ago; it was really great to have a change of underwear and shorts after that experience. Actually, I went below and finished the remaining half sandwich I had not finished earlier. What else can you do? Someone is throwing 1 million volt darts at you and if they actually hit you, well, you need more then just clean underwear as if you are lucky you may be able to swim to shore; so eat, drink (a little) and be merry as you may need your strength. If you get to shore then you can make up for being abstemious.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-29-2009

ekenna is on a distinguished road
I have 4 bfs so far. You said beginner stories were ok so the first one was back in 1985 or 86. I had a sunfish which I had taken lake sailing. I had been lake sailing that size boat since 11 and was feeling my oats and looking for something more adventurous. I had set my sights on crossing the mouth of the potomac river from Virginia to Maryland. My wife Helen and I and tried before but only gotten about half way across. We started with the wind in the right direction and were moving along well when my wife remarks how all these bigger sail boats are heading back in the way we had come. I had only noticed how the wind had stopped and everything got glassy smooth. The calm before the storm. Thats when I saw the menacing dark clouds behind us and tried to turn around. With no wind the only means of propelltion was to work the tiller back and forth which I was able to get us turned around. (carrying a paddle was a lesson I didn't learn until no winds and tides did the teaching on the northern chesapeake years later.) Helen wanted me to flag down one of the passing sailboat but I refused because of foolish pride. Thankfully she did. And thankfully the wife on that sailboat twisted the guy's arm into helping us otherwise we would have been stuck out a mile out so out with no way to get to shore. It took 2 or 3 tries before we could grab a hold of the line as he circled us but finally we were on our way in. The sailboat was going to the left so we dropped the line a couple hundred yards out from the public landing. there was now a slight breeze so I thought we would make it just fine then suddenly we got a gust of wind that ripped the sheet out of my hands and with the sail pointed straight out in front of us we zoomed across to the opposite side of the cove from the landing. I had absolutely no control. we promptly scrambled ashore and I dropped the sail tied the boat to a tree ran to the car to wait out the storm. My wife refused to try that trip again. Although I did finally finish that trip with a friend.

Fast forward a lot of years and a lot of time on the sunfish on the northern chesapeake to 2004 (?). After taking ASA sailing classes beginner through bareboat we charter our first boat a 32 foot catalina out of Rock Hall,MD. I have these great plans. I picked out what looked like a great anchorage on the eastern side of Kent island. In the morning weather had said slight chance of showers. Late in the day we passed through the bascle bridge at rt 50 and mears point marina. Helen had said maybe we should stay there tonight. No I had this great anchorage surrounded by land on 3 sides. So we continue to this anchorage. First it was shallower than I thought and I could not get up into the little creek as far as I wanted. Not having ever been there I did not know there were only grasses on that land on 3 side. Ok as wave protection but no wind protection. So finally anchored with 7 to 1 slope in about 6 foot of water, going by the book I took my 3 bearings wrote down the references and bearings. A half an hour later check them again and things were find. So we get dinner and settle down to pinuckle and brownies for dessert. Then we hear the thunder and see lightning. Its 8:30 and dark. So I go back on deck and what the book doesn't tell you is be sure to pick references you can see in the dark ie that have lights on them. So I take new bearings. I let a little more rode out. We go back to playing cards. Then the winds hit followed by the rain (horizontal at times). Everyone gets in life jackets. The boat starts swaying back and forth. I had forgotten to lock the rudder. The wind would push the boat one way until it hit the end of the play in the rode and the boat would pitch on its side as it turned in the opposite direction. We all (wife, 2 teenage children and I) screamed and scrambled for the high side of the boat the first time. Remember I mentioned cards and brownies that were on a table. Well they were now smushed all over the floor making it slippery. We have a slight pause before the next sideways lurch where I was about to get the table stored. We spent the next 20 minutes or so running from one side of the cabin to the other. I was getting good at anticipating when the boat would do the flip. It was at this time all kind of thought go through your head like we're going to die and should we abandon ship? It was only a 100 yards to land in 2 directions. Somehow in the middle of this I poke my head out and confirm we are not dragging. The anchor was holding. Finally the wind dies down. I let out more rode and lock down the wheel. Round two starts still swinging back and forth although the angle of pitch of the boat was a lot less. Its now 10:30 and we were all exhaused be none of us wanted to chance sleeping. Clean up of the brownie mess started then but did not finish until when we had the vacuum cleaner prior to handing the boat over. The mention of sailing and brownies in the same breath still leads to groans. The kids sleep all the way to St Michael the next day and the rest of the trip was fine. While at St Michael we ran into a group from a yacht club that were also out on the hook during the storm. One guy's chartered boat was struck by lightning while he was running the motor to keep the boat straight. He said the winds where clocked at 65 mph.

Flash forward to this 4th of July weekend. I bought a new to me hole in the water (San Juan 28) north of Atlantic City which Helen and I moved to Bohemia rvier on the Chesapeake. All the gorey details can be found in another thread. This was our first time on the ocean. The forecast was 10 to 15 with 2 foot waves. We needed to do Atlantic City to Cape May in 1 day. The BFS factor was the boat I boat was not anywhere near the condition of the noes we chartered and several problems arose. The wind was probable 15 gusting to 20, the waves by mid afternoon at least 3 feet. We had the 150 genoa on and its heeling pretty good. Every time I try to do something Helen has to be at the wheel. She was white knuckling it and having a hard time keeping it on course. I tried to bring in the furler to reduce the genoa and it refuses to roll up. putting on a life jacket I go up on the ptiching deck to try to roll it up by hand. I give up on that. I try to reef the main but I can not get the eyelet down the the tack. Throw in here the fact the boat does not have a proper bilge and every so often I need to go into the cabin with a manual bilge pump and pump out the water from the stuffing box. Meanwhile Helen is hanging onto the wheel as much to keep her self from falling as to steer. I decide to drop the 150 genoa so again I don the life jacket and head forward. I grabbed the jib halyard and inched forward so I could pull the genoa on to the deck as I release the halyard. I had just gotten the jib down when the port outer stay came loose. There I was on the heaving deck sprawled on top of the genoa so the wind wouldn't catch it and take it over board with the turnbuckle flailing around just over my head. I made a desparate grab and for a while had the shroud in one hand and tried to secure the genoa with the other. I finally managed to secure the shroud and moused both sides. The rest of the event filled day you can read on the other thread (search atlantic city under cruising)

Lastly 3 or 4th weekend in July Helen and I were trying fix some of the problems on the boat on our mooring. Sunday morning we did not listen to the forecast. I started to look at adding the 2nd battery and had pulled everything out of the port lazerrete. I decided I needed different cables so I went on the looking at the bilge pump placement. When I came up for air I noticed dark clouds and a wall of rain several miles away. They wind and waves were picking up. We put everything away closed hatches etc but decided to wait it out. We put on the radio. The usual marine forecast was interupted with a warning of severe thunderstorm in our area with winds up to 33 mph and another storm back home with 65 mph winds. The life jackets go on. Then another interuption with just 1 annoucement that a tornado was due to pass through the area within 15 minutes. Helen has trouble getting on and off the boat into the canoe we use to get to shore. thats why we were waiting it out. now in 30 mph winds I would have trouble getting in the canoe and I had doubts we could control it enough to get in. And of course the thought come. only this time they were verbalized. Do we abandon ship? Any tornado would be strong enough to throw cars around would be strong enough to pick 2 swimmers in life jackets out of the water. We hugged each other. I paced like a caged rat. The tornado never appears. At one point there was this rushing sound that Helen thinks was the "train" sound people say they hear but I think it was just high winds in the rigging. When the winds died down we left everything on the boat and paddled the half filled canoe to shore.
Old 08-29-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road

To close for comfort.

Just a pic from a Mac site I ripped off.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 08-29-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
now THAT is a freeeeeeking sail!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009
Last Man Standing

Great stories ek!! Tornados and flailing turnbuckles? That's what I'M talkin' about!!

The Easties are trashing everyone else as far as I'm concerned. The 2009 BFS Cup poll is going up next month, so time is a wastin'!

Eurpies? Supersouthies? Westies? Where are you guys?

Old 08-31-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
That's some serious pucker factor going on there.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.