Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
A newb's BFS....

I'd say chalk one up for the Lakies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
Here is a description of yesterday's sailing day.

Supposed to been light winds on Lake Lanier, Georgia.. 3-4 MPH

Turned out to be 10+, which is great and to where I was going ( Buford Dam ), that means I would be sailing downwind 90% of the way ( which I suck at ). But hey, today is a new day.. Plus I have never been to the dam before.

I moved my jib cars forward and unrolled my genoa. This created a huge pocket ( almost looked like a spin sail haha ).

I pushed my boom perpendiculur to the boat and back-fed a line to keep the boom from swaying all over the place. Which worked great.

Started out great with both sails quite full, until the boat started rocking left-right, left -right.. i felt like I was in a death roll, and instead of sh*tting my pants, I let de-powered my genoa and rolled it up 'alot'. That fixed the wobbles ( is that normal ???? ). I guess that is what it is called ( death roll ).

We are making awesome time.. I am a noobie to sailing and I was impressing myself and girlfriend.. just as the wind changed and the line that kept the boom from going 180 degrees across the boat, snapped and the boom came flying around ( yikes ). of course, our heads were down as always, but I saw the boom move, and I had time to say sh*t, and then it snapped. So in .5 seconds I pulled as much main sheet as I could to limit the boom swing, which worked well. Maybe next time I will use a stronger line ( and pay attention to the wind ).

The #1, #2, #3, #4 rule on my boat and I instill this to EVERYONE on my boat, is to keep your head down. I bug the living sh*t out of everyone on my boat, but hey.. it could save your life one day.

So we made it all the way to the dam, took some photos, and headed back from a great day of sailing.

Just my story...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Rolex Big Boat Series on San Francisco Bay!

Just got done with doing SEVEN races over the last four days on the CAL 40. We were participating in the Rolex-Saint Francis Yacht Club’s Big Boat Series, arguably the premier regatta on the left coast. Boats came from as far away as Honolulu (Ragtime was there!) and Canada. A team from Honolulu (Ragtime!) and Japan raced on a borrowed J105. Had winds anywhere from 10 kts TWS to over thirty and it wasn’t uncommon to have the winds change by 15 knots on a single race. We never had to do a peel away on the course but did a lot of jib changes during the spinnaker legs. Two races a day meant eating lunch quickly while delivering the boat to the next starting line. As mainsheet trimmer I hardly got a break at all and my hands are all but crippled up with rope burns and such (7:1 block and tackle, no winch as that slows you down). During one race, we were tacking down the City front and Vincitore, a R/P 52, driven by Chris Dickerson,cut between us and the Aquatic Park breakwater, a scant 30 feet away, yup, cleared both us and the concrete by maybe 18 inches on either side. Those rock stars got nerve and an excellent sense of time, rate and distance! Ourselves, we had a shot at second, but never could recover enough from a “bad” day on Friday. Still, the beer tastes just as sweet being drunk out of a third place Rolex trophy! The Regatta was being filmed for a Cable TV program so we had lots of camera boats and helicopters buzzing around us during the races. This shot is from one of the starts (you can see the smoke from the gun on the committee boat.) We’re the “72” boat in the middle of the frame (I'm second from the left in the cockpit.) The boats in the top of the frame are desperately trying to not to be over early by briefly turning down the line.

fficeffice" />>>

Last edited by GeorgeB; 09-14-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
WOW! INFREAKINGCREDIBLE GB!!!! I knew you were up to something big. Great job on the race dude. Let us know where we can catch the show.

The Westies score big...with PICS, A FREAKIN' TROPHY, AND A TV SHOW!

Old 09-15-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Look out, George, that powerboater is shooting at you!!
Old 09-15-2009

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
My company is celebrating their 25th anniversery and so we had a dinner cruise in NY Harbor that didn't end till about 11:00pm Sunday night. I live in CT and it took till about 2:00am to get home so I decided to take Monday off.

Monday was forcasted to be near 80 with less than 1' waves on LIS with winds WNW to about 15. As this might be one of the last 'good sailing days' before hauling the boat, I took a vacation day. I left Milford Harbor at about 10:30am headed towards Branford on a nice comfortable downwind run. Not another boat in sight (not counting the oystermen). Looking around as I passed NH Harbor channel, it seemed that the wind was picking up and the sound was starting to exhibit whitecaps. Figured I'd turn back about then.

I have a 26' Seafarer and, while I've been out in it in 'stupid' bad weather, this was the first time I ever saw water splashing over the bow. The seas quickly built up to 4-5' rollers coming pretty close together and I'd estimate the wind at about 20knots with higher gusts had now shifted to directly out of the west. I was able to hold a tack from my turning point almost into Charles Island. What a ride! It took me 2 plus hours to get to the NH harbor channel where I turned around and one hour to get back to Charles Island.

The GPS was telling me I was doing near hull speed SOG, had the FM playing LOUD, eyes as big a saucers, playing the wheel up and over those waves all the way back! Most of the ride back was at 30 degrees of heel with the occasional dip of the lee toerail. I hit one set of rollers that put spray and water up and over the foredeck, running down both sides of the deck where it ran off.

Good thing the Admiral wasn't with me! I'll freely admit that I usually prefer the 'lazy' day sails where I can jump below to tend to what-ever if needed (none of that Monday!) but Monday had to have been the BEST sail of this season. I might even have knocked off some of the barnacles that seem to be infesting this part of the Sound this year.

Anyway, that's my BFS . . .

jk
s/v Puppy Feet 2
Old 09-15-2009
Last Man Standing

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about jk! There's something intensely exhilarating about a major barnacle knocking. No doubt.

Nice BFS dude.

Old 09-17-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Yesterday was complete metal on the water. 25 gusting to 30+ knts, big waves, nasty weather. What a BLAST! We were racing Swale, an S2 7.9 on Lake Ray Hubbard for the normal Wednesday night beer can race. Many of our normal competitors didn't even go out so the racing fleet was about half as big as it normally is. I guess they were scared... We got out of the marina and as soon as we did we knew we were in for some craziness, the 100% jib filled and dipped our toe rail. We were totally over powered at times but we decided not to reef the main which proved to be a good decision though it made for some "sporty" sailing....

We had the spin ready to go but wisely decided, seconds before the start, to run wing on wing instead on the opening down wind leg. You can see in this picture what happened to Hotsy Totsy, a J-29 in the back ground....

We ended up tacking away from the fleet on the windward leg which was a good thing. The waves were bashing us and between the spray coming over the bow and the rain we were all soaked. The entire time we were heeling at 30+ degrees but still made great time.

We missed first place by nine seconds to a Viper 840 called Rented Mule. (They actually ran the first leg with spin successfully without broaching.)

Some straight up balls out racing! A BFS for sure!

Here's the crew soaked and happy last night, on our way home.

Your author and BFS aficionado

1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 09-17-2009
Last Man Standing

OH MAN!!! That is SICK!! And pics to go with it!

The Lakies just scored BIG TIME!! Eat yer freakin' hearts out Easties!

I love the J29 laying down in the background. Ouch! What is that boat in the first pic? That's a beauty.

Great job bring one home for the Lakies PCP. You are THE MAN!!

Old 09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
OH MAN!!! That is SICK!! And pics to go with it!

The Lakies just scored BIG TIME!! Eat yer freakin' hearts out Easties!

I love the J29 laying down in the background. Ouch! What is that boat in the first pic? That's a beauty.

Great job bring one home for the Lakies PCP. You are THE MAN!!

Thanks bro, I'm not sure what she is, but she actually hung with us for most of the down wind leg, fast and a classic design. When the race results are posted, I'm sure I can figure it out. I haven't seen her race before so I'll let you know.

What's funny about the night pic with the crew, look at the lights in the background. That would be the Hilton Hotel, or the horizon. Now look how laid back we are, Tecate in hand. I guess at that point, 30 plus degrees of heel is just old hat.

BFS FTW!
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Last edited by PCP777; 09-17-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: After thought on a pic....
Old 09-18-2009

More pics from committee from this same race. I had thought that the boat that broached was a J29, turns out it was an Evelyn 32. Even though these pics aren't too clear, they do show the level of high pucker that was going down. Oh, the other good news is we did indeed take first place on A fleet.

Swale in front of the Evelyn 32 battling for first place. We took them by 51 seconds.

The Viper and the J29 (The J29 did lose a head sail in this race)

1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX