Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey T! Welcome dude! Is yours CC as well? I can't remember the picture.

Got BFS (I mean your own)?
Thanks. No

and Yes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I new thoes words would haunt me as soon as I uttered them..

I told my youngest to shoot that thing and when I glanced back she had the dumb thing pointed at me..Kind of took me by surprise..total waste of film in my opinion.

Nice Alex...but Im really a winter....You have to have girls to understand..
Old 09-27-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I've got three, the youngest is 20. Tell me about it.
Old 09-27-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Here is the other video that Simon and I did, I don't think it got posted in that thread linked above. No BFS here, just a below average day on the Bay, but we had fun!

Stand by, gotta get the right link.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 09-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That looks like a nice sail. Simon's boat definitely sails flatter than mine. 6.5 knots on Oh Joy almost puts the rail in the water.
Old 09-27-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
6.5 knots on Oh Joy almost puts the rail in the water.
My boat heels because of the wind not because of the speed...

Ahh 6.5 knots of wind you mean??
Old 09-27-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I think he means if there is enough wind to get him going 6.5 knots, the rail will be in the water. In that video there aren't any white caps, so I think the wind was around 10-12 knots and we were getting up to 7 knots speed. But I think Charlie has the rail in the water when he is sitting at the dock.

Vaya con Dios
Old 09-27-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Lovely T.

Okay - heading out tomorrow for another rail dunk attempt. 35 degrees didn't do it - so I'm just going to have to pin her down and snap the photo - then get all my guests back on board. It'll be a good GOB drill. Hey - anyone out there actually kept a rail in the water on a Catalina? I have to qualify that as wakes and waves don't count.

Speaking of pinning her down - I read the story about the 4 female racers who got spanked then rescued off the Cali coast. 25-31, spinnaker up, no tethers, no pfds. I obviously won't hammer on the ladies (except for the pfds - I mean c'mon) as I'd probably be trying the same. And I have to give props to the one they left behind - gritty chick that one. But - the most interesting thing to me is the issue about tethers a couple of posts down from the story. It makes me wonder, if a tether is going to drown you at 5+ knots, what's the point? Do you just use a short tether when you're out in the spit? What's the deal?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-27-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Smack..

every time you're on your own or with anyone inexperienced, you should use the tether, and PFD.

It should be tied in such a way that under no circunstance if you fall over you should fall in the water. If your boat is going at over 4 knots you will die...no one can resist the water pressure. it's betetr you bang your body all over, but stay over the water.

I attach mine either to the traveller while in the cockpit, or to the boom above.

If I have to go forward, I use dedicated lines.

Old 09-28-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - heading out tomorrow for another rail dunk attempt. 35 degrees didn't do it - so I'm just going to have to pin her down and snap the photo - then get all my guests back on board. It'll be a good GOB drill. Hey - anyone out there actually kept a rail in the water on a Catalina? I have to qualify that as wakes and waves don't count.
smacky- It's hard to say, since most of the Catalina's around here are basically floating condos that are rarely seen not tied to a dock. If you want to increase your odds of safely getting your rail wet, I would recommend 2 things. 1) stay in the slip. 2) Attach you spare halyard to the finger pier on the far side of your slip.
With the sails up, put a couple turns of that halyard on a winch and crank it until you reach the desired angle of heel. Get out your camera and fire away! (Remember to look like you're having to really hold on tight.)