Big Freakin' Sails - Page 160 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree272Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1591  
Old 11-16-2009
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,375
Thanks: 90
Thanked 92 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
How the hell did you do that? I just cracked it open for testing on Friday and haven't yet told anyone about it (apart from some people I asked to take a look at it during the design earlier this year). It took WAY longer to put together than I thought it would.

Anyway, I'll be advertising it here starting in a week or so. The whole idea for it came from talking to you mooks about big, adventure-filled sailing anyway. Should be fun.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1592  
Old 11-16-2009
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,375
Thanks: 90
Thanked 92 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now - to more important matters. I was out yesterday for a pretty mellow sail (8-10) after climbing the mast - which was an interesting time in itself. Sun was just starting to set and we were headed back to the marina.

This is about the time that the big stinkpots start heading in from Hippy Hollow (the buck naked "beach") after a day of drinking and nakeding. I'm on a port tack moving at about 4 knots as the wind was dying down. Both sails are flying.

A 40' Sea Ray is cutting a straight line up the channel at about 10 knots - as I'm moving across on my tack. About 200 yards out he hits is horn. Cool, I see you.

Now, if all things hold, we are on a collision course. I fall off a bit to try to clear his path sooner. He keeps coming. 80 yards - and he's still closing - not changing course at all. He hits his horn again - longer this time. Still on a collision course.

I pull my horn out an blast him one. No change in direction. So, it's chicken. Part of me wants to play - the other part of me thinks about Bubb's story.

I tack 180 and get out of his way. He never blinks an eye.

I don't know whether to hate him or admire him.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1593  
Old 11-16-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 5,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 14
bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Seen on a gravestone at Gloucester.

Here lies Thaddus Jay.
He died defending his right of way.
He was in the right
as he was sailing along
but he's just as dead
as if he was wrong.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1594  
Old 11-16-2009
St Anna's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern QLD, Bayside
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 12
St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Now - to more important matters. I was out yesterday for a pretty mellow sail (8-10) after climbing the mast - which was an interesting time in itself. Sun was just starting to set and we were headed back to the marina.

This is about the time that the big stinkpots start heading in from Hippy Hollow (the buck naked "beach") after a day of drinking and nakeding. I'm on a port tack moving at about 4 knots as the wind was dying down. Both sails are flying.

A 40' Sea Ray is cutting a straight line up the channel at about 10 knots - as I'm moving across on my tack. About 200 yards out he hits is horn. Cool, I see you.

Now, if all things hold, we are on a collision course. I fall off a bit to try to clear his path sooner. He keeps coming. 80 yards - and he's still closing - not changing course at all. He hits his horn again - longer this time. Still on a collision course.

I pull my horn out an blast him one. No change in direction. So, it's chicken. Part of me wants to play - the other part of me thinks about Bubb's story.

I tack 180 and get out of his way. He never blinks an eye.

I don't know whether to hate him or admire him.
You did the right thing - Keep out of his way - and remember him.
We get the stinkboats doing the same. Narrow and shallow channels and they sit at half plane (huge wash) in the middle of the channel, expecting all to move out of their way.

I stuck to my course once. I was negotiating a tidal race in the whitsundays- deep water but I had to be on the exact perfect line. A yacht was behind us and a huge 100' 3 story game boat type stinkboat came up behind, blew his horn. The yacht behind us jumped about and the race flicked it around. The stinkboat came up behind me and blew his horn. I was committed to the course and any deviation could put me near rocks. I stayed, he blew off again with 3 blasts. I had the handheld VHF and asked him his intentions and added (smartass me!)that if he wished to alter course astern, he may!

He replied that he just wished to let me know that he was there. I was fully aware of his presence. After we passed the scarier ssection, he passed us. His decky's on the stern gave me the thumbs up

I figure that a jerks is a jerk whether he has money or not. These people often get into trouble because of their attitude.

Any and every other time, I dont push the issue and get out of their way. COLREGS - avoid incidents!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 11-16-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1595  
Old 11-16-2009
not Sully or Dandelion
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
How the hell did you do that? I just cracked it open for testing on Friday and haven't yet told anyone about it (apart from some people I asked to take a look at it during the design earlier this year).
I new you had a web site a couple of months ago. You posted a picture of your boat (I believe it was the one with the flacid sail ). The photo was linked to your web site.

After you were canned from AS it got me thinking. I did a Google search for big freakin sails.

BTW I like the web site and the Flash work.

You were wronged over at AS.

Good luck with your adventure.



Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1596  
Old 11-16-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Old Greenwich, CT
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Boats not respecting right of way

Call me old fashioned, but I think we have an obligation to report boats that deliberately ignore the right of way rules. I can't imagine that the harbor patrol or coast guard wouldn't be interested in knowing about these incidents. By reporting them now, you may save someone's life down the road.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1597  
Old 11-16-2009
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,375
Thanks: 90
Thanked 92 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganPaul View Post
I new you had a web site a couple of months ago. You posted a picture of your boat (I believe it was the one with the flacid sail ). The photo was linked to your web site.

BTW I like the web site and the Flash work.

Good luck with your adventure.

Paul
Sneaky, sneaky. Thanks for the compliment. It's been fun putting it together.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1598  
Old 11-16-2009
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,375
Thanks: 90
Thanked 92 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsdad View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I think we have an obligation to report boats that deliberately ignore the right of way rules. I can't imagine that the harbor patrol or coast guard wouldn't be interested in knowing about these incidents. By reporting them now, you may save someone's life down the road.
In general I agree with you. But there are 3 big blue and white SR's on our lake that all look the same. And I was too lazy to look at reg numbers.

I'll just hunt him down at Hippy Hollow and pour sugar in his tank. Way more fun.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1599  
Old 11-19-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Old Greenwich, CT
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
twinsdad is on a distinguished road
It's hard to think of these things when the issue suddenly arises. It is a lot easier if we all think ahead of time what we should do when we deal with jerks like that. The more we start to report these people, the less likely it is that they will continue to do these things. No comment about the sugar.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1600  
Old 11-19-2009
St Anna's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern QLD, Bayside
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 12
St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
In general I agree with you. But there are 3 big blue and white SR's on our lake that all look the same. And I was too lazy to look at reg numbers.

I'll just hunt him down at Hippy Hollow and pour sugar in his tank. Way more fun.
Looking at your avatar, I suggest you sail naked. Smacker, this will always ensure the centre of channel is yours. In time you will learn to ignore the raucous laughter and derogatory comments.

Fluro coloured zinc cream will highlight your highlights whilst protecting against the sun. Keep us posted.

PLEASE _ NO PHOTOS
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
luffs, Battens and Leech ? painters Gear & Maintenance 17 11-15-2009 04:56 PM
Sloop or Ketch? maxheadspace Boat Review and Purchase Forum 46 07-27-2007 02:56 PM
Sails on a Boat That I'm Looking At FritzN Gear & Maintenance 9 02-22-2007 11:42 AM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Buying a Boat Articles 0 05-25-2000 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.