Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude, I'm already there. But "SPF 50 on the naughty bits" is my motto. Why zinc them and deprive the world of true beauty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Really,
and the stinkboat still invaded your personal space? Now thats scary!

Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Like a moth to the flame baby.

Of course, a chick was driving.

Old 11-19-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
You mean Mrs Smacker was at the helm....So you are all talk....I better type quietly unless one of the admirals hears me having fun.

Old 11-22-2009
Last Man Standing

Okay CP. Hope you feel better soon.

As for reporting the boat - it's like twins says above, I was busy (though I do agree with his point). I joke about it now because even though the guy was being a jerk, I didn't feel like there was any real danger if I didn't allow things to escalate.

Hmmm....there's a thought.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-22-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Cardiac,

I think that is a bit harsh. Each of us has our own experience, and hopefully we all learn from one another. Smack already agreed that the right course of action would be to call the authorities - and I would guess he would do it next time. Just one more example of each of us learning something. I do think we can all be civilized with one another, and if you want to block someone because you don't like what they have to say - just do it privately. For me, I enjoy corresponding with people who have more experience and those with less. Sort of like what I experience out on the water. Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-22-2009
Last Man Standing

Thanks twins. HTG to you too dude.

Old 11-23-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Smack,

My sailing instructor many years ago on Sydney Harbour taught me an important right of way rule, "assume everyone else on the water is a complete ass and you will never have a colliison".

Now I'm not going to get into the right and wrong of not reporting other than to say that on Sydney harbour If I called the 'authorities' everytime I witnessed a breach of maritime law I would have the guys on permanent speed dial.

Old 11-23-2009
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
Tips needed as a Young Woman Sailing!

Adrenalin Sports Tours

for what its worth,
this young lady is to be commended for her effort.
In addition, no one here said anything untoward.

Now however, the “rest of the story”

This lady and the rest of her crew had to be rescued by the coast guard.
Conventional wisdom is take classes, learn, experience things, crew, gain some wet feet time.

Naw, it ain’t gunna make it, its all about the rip, the thrill, the cutting edge, taking chances, dancing with the devil, shouting at danger. Adrenalin, Right dude? Fight Club, right? You ain't a sailor if... right? BFS, ain’t that so? Knarly dude, high fives, eh? Ice up a cold one, good day, nobody died.

Bullshite.
Whats left is this… injuries, scars – physical and emotional, a lost boat and putting other people in danger (don’t give me that claptrap about it being the coast guards job…. I say darwins rules here, Why is it a god given right to be saved from yourself?) and broken dreams.

Maybe they should get a bfs shirt or sumpin.
nobody died.
That is as you say CP, unfortunately a really sad ending to a young dreamer's grand adventure.

Now I actually don't give a hoot about this thread or Smack's BFS shirts, what I want to know is what did these guys do wrong???? I want my own adventure but without the coast-guard chopper. What do I need to do differently to have a successful, safe BFS??

Old 11-23-2009
Picnic Sailor

Fair enough. That too me would yeah seem fairly dumb.

Now I think I have that bit covered.
I have wanted to circumnavigate since 22. I am now 30 and wish only to cruise to Asia and back. I would never think of leaving in Aussie Cyclone season. I have seen what 90 knots does to boats and it is nothing good.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.