Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I don't think so. He didn't come up with that idea until long after he started this thread and became an irritant to some here and elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Are there any graphics dudes on board who can slice out some cool BFS stickers? I'd sport one with pride.
No - that's not it Tom. This post above, on page 67 was the spark. The idea for BFS stuff came out of this thread - the thread wasn't started to pimp gear. That's completely wrong. There was nothing underhanded here...ever.

Run a whois search on the site and you'll see what I mean. Look at the date of the above post and compare it with the registration date of the site:

Domain Name: BFSSHOP.COM
Created on: 12-Nov-08
Expires on: 12-Nov-10
Last Updated on: 13-Nov-08

This is what I mean when I say..."You started it."

It was all in fun - based on what was a bunch of us Sailnet members enjoying great sailing stories. I just ran with sww's question and made it happen. What's wrong with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-23-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
"So, it seems to me you're doing it exactly right."

oh yea, thats a resounding approval from the resident expert, the guy thats been all over a 19,000 acre lake on a 27 ft boat for less than 3 years.

YOU have no frickin' clue if they are doing it exactly right or not.
Thats exactly what I mean. You shoot off your mouth, and have NO frame of reference.
shut up before you get somebody killed.

Cool... dude.
I hear the 6th st. Arts festival has an opening for a t-shirt vendor.
CP, lighten up and go sailing!!!! Life's too short.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 11-23-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
Smack----- i enjoy reading the posts on this thread. some of them remind me of weather i have been in. it all helps with your sailing experience that you acquire over the years.
Old 11-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Thanks cap. If it wasn't for great sailing tales, the world would be a sad place.

Now....about that weather you've been in.....

Old 11-23-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
we left southwest harbor ,maine at night on november 3rd. i believe it was 1988, into deteriorating weather to deliver a 50ft shannon ketch to the virgins by way of bermuda. the second day out it was blowing a steady 40 gusting to 57kn. wind was NE against the gulf stream so the waves were steep. the night was so black you had a hard time seeing the waves. i was at the wheel about 2AM when a graybeard pooped us & filled the cockpit. i held my feet up till it drained so my sea boots were not full. we had the full main up & were making 10 kn down the waves & 8 kn up. we passed a fishing vessel heading into it . it looked like he was really getting pounded. this went on for several days. when we approached bermuda the wind was light so we put a long line over the stern & went swimming in 6,000ft of water. some people say they would never do that, but i tell them you can drown in 6ft of water.
Old 11-23-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Let the stupid jerk run into someone else - or aground. I raced with a crew of 12 core people for 18 years and we never contacted another boat. Its just not worth the headache for a flag or two hours in the protest room and a call to your agent. Stay smart and out of trouble. We won a lot of races that way and enjoyed a lot of barbeques after - with the skipper able to join us.

Also, remember the rule of tonnage. Just stay away from danger, especially if its bigger than you, made of steel and owned by some non-present entity.
Old 11-23-2009

capnvega is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Thaddus Jay quote Mr. Bubb, I'd forgotten exactly how it went.........Now for my first BFS: 1973 and it was the 1st sailboat I'd been on, a large Venture Catamaran in a windy lake in AZ. We were flying around a point with me on the high side and as we cleared the point we caught a gust that launched me 15' into the air where I hit the sail and was smacked back onto the trampoline and bounced overboard. I told the "Captain" that I wasn't going back out until he installed seatbelts..........In 1985 after having stink-pots up to 38' for 12 years I moved to the SF Bay Area and bought a 22' Tanzer. Not wanting to show my lack of skill to anyone I would motor down the Napa River to where it widened and pulled the sail out of the bag marked "Working Jib". I'd try to sail in every kind of condition with that head-sail, and man can it blow up that river! I didn't think I was ever going to get the hang of that sailing stuff.....I couldn't even handle the "Working Jib" in that weather. Well after about a year I could sail in about anything the Bay had shown me and I decided to try the Dreaded Big Genoa. So I dug out the bag marked "Genoa" and {you guessed it......there was the working jib!)

Last edited by capnvega; 11-23-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2009
Last Man Standing

Heh-heh - so vega that working jib was indeed one big freakin' sail! I bet you had your rail buried most of the time on that Tanser. Good times.

billc - holy crap. I've been on the boat only once in 50 knot winds...and that was at the slip! Seriously freaky. So what's it like hearing that hiss of the graybeard sneaking up behind you? Anyway, I agree, 6 or 6000 what's the difference?

nicholson - good advice.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-24-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Let me get this straight- you are looking/hoping for a "scare factor" while offshore so that you can "qualify" for a BFS? I know this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but I have to question your priorities. I'm not an expert, and I don't have much offshore time logged, but I try to do everything I can to avoid "scare factors", they come along regularly enough as it is. Just my two cents.
For the record, I NEVER add or look for a scare factor or adrenaline rush. I leave that for surfing or a rollercoaster ride etc. Not whilst sailing my family in our home across an infamous stretch of water. So you definetely got my intentions wrong. I obviously am not making myself clear, so I apologise for that.

I asked the question, because I have been asked on more than one occasion to add a post in the BFS thread. I was only putting down my plans/thoughts and was asking if Smacker felt it qualified as a BFS - or to qualify, does it need a scare factor.

I may not get everything ready in time before, so it may have to wait a year.

I apologise for what must have been misleading and thus caused a few defensive posts. I'll stay in the background now. I guess this form of communication is very poor.