Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
No, cap, it definitely wasn't funny until afterward. Then it was seriously funny. I'm still breaking out in bursts of laughter today - drawing curious stares.

St - I see what you mean about turning the other way. Thanks for the heads up. We had just nosed in and he stepped off just forward of starboard midship. Since I was still on a port quarter angle coming in I thought I could push the bow into the port finger and essentially wedge to a quick stop. Of course, I was scrambling to kill the motor, grab flotation, take pictures, text all my friends, and freshen my martini. So it was all a blur.

As for the bloody nose. I've learned a valuable lesson. That clew packs a freakin' punch!
An assisted Darwin Award for your mate doesnt get a mention.

A new nickname for you "Scarface", Master Shredder (almost). Thats why people are always looking for crew, after having snotted, decapitated or shredded the previous batch. Thats really what sailing is about!!! Singlehanders just cant get crew (after having gained a rep for dismemberment of family or crew, or worse) so they are forced to go solo.

Sailing can be a dangerous game ( dependant on who is on the wheel/tiller]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 12-21-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

As for the bloody nose. I've learned a valuable lesson. That clew packs a freakin' punch!
Is that how your glasses got cracked? I always wondered...

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 12-21-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
I have on more than one occasion managed to bang my head on the boom while at the dock. Raising one's head while not looking first is not advised! Man, head injuries are big bleeders even when they're not serious.
Old 12-21-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Is that how your glasses got cracked? I always wondered...

Medsailor
Nah. That was from FightClub.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-22-2009

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
October 11, 2009. Manhasset Bay.

It was our first year as boat owners, and there was dissension in the ranks. My 7 year old son Jake had thoroughly enjoyed it, throwing himself at the boat (1971 S&S 34) and its nooks and crannies. My 4 year old son wanted nothing to do with sailing (Iím hoping this has worn off by spring) Ė but everything to do with sleeping aboard. My 2 year old daughter loved it and wanted to steer Ė always.

As a NYC suburban father commuting to work via train everyday, I always enjoy the two 20 second vistas on my commute as we cross high above Manhasset Bay on the train trestle and then, shortly after stopping at Great Neck, we cross Little Neck Bay, this time low down amongst the grass. Six weeks earlier, Iíd been wistfully staring out the window as we crossed Little Neck Bay only to see a small fiberglass dinghy high and dry in the estuary. It was far above the typical high tide line and had clearly been run ashore in a recent storm. Here is my reconnaissance photo from my blackberry.

It became part of my commute to wait and see if it was still there. Three weeks after it first appeared, I took Jake to Citi Field for his first ever baseball game, and as we passed through Little Neck Bay I pointed the dinghy out to him. A few weeks later, it was still there. I confessed to the Admiral my thoughts of salvage.

After a morning of pumpkin picking (an all-time favorite activity for me), it was time. I had told Jake a couple of days earlier that I wanted to make an attempt to salvage the dinghy. My wife thought (knew?) I was nuts, but in my heart this was always more about the adventure than the ending. It was a beautiful day and the forecast was for 12 Ė 15 knots of breeze out of the North. By the time we dropped off the mooring, it was almost 1:30. I had put up the main before setting out and, being foolish, had laid out the 143% genoa on the foredeck (yes, I have hanked on headsails) instead of the 95% blade. Almost immediately after dropping off, the wind picked up. It was blowing a good 15 at this point, with higher gusts, so I chose to motor sail out of Manhasset Bay under main only. It was like a mid-summer Sunday, there were so many boats out, and with just the two of us on board, I didnít want to deal with the traffic and the big genoa, at least not yet.

After rounding Hewlett Point, I decided to raise the genoa. Almost immediately, we cleared the lee of City Island and the wind picked up. It was blowing a good 18 with gusts over 20, and all I could think about was how difficult this could get if Jake started freaking out and anything went wrong. Instead of being scared, though, he kept asking if we were burying the rail(!), something I had mentioned a couple of months before in passing. Isnít it amazing the things they store in their brains when you think they arenít listening? Iím beginning to wonder what it takes to do this in my boat (we have a lot of tumblehome), as I had to disappoint him with a ďnoĒ throughout the trip. By the time we dropped anchor in Little Neck Bay (first time ever anchoring the boat) Jake had already had a trip to remember. It was time for the salvage operation.

We inflated and launched our little tender. Jake was excited as we headed out for the eel grass.

Picking our way along the shore, we found a little rivulet to run up towards the abandoned dinghy, eventually beaching? our inflatable on a mud bank. A 50 yard tromp through the mud and my secret suspicions were confirmed. She had a huge hole in her Ė beyond my limited capabilities.

Ah well, it had always been more of an excuse than anything else. We returned to the boat and weighed anchor. By now, I knew that our day of firsts was not over. It was obvious that the sun was going to be down long before I picked up the mooring. Even as the temperature dropped, Jake had a ball. He wrapped a blanket around himself and never once complained that his impetuous father had forgotten to bring any food along in case things took longer than expected. There was no moon that night, and it was overcast. Iím not sure Iíve ever seen such darkness that close to NYC, and I was glad to know that there are so few hazards coming into Manhasset Bay at night. I had known from the start that it was trip Jake would never forget, and it didn't disappoint.
Old 12-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Plumb - AWESOME BFS dude! Seriously, that is a great story!

I have to admit I was extremely bummed to see the hole. I was right there with you - tromping through the eel grass - ready to snag the ill-gotten booty. It looked so tempting from the train window, I would have done exactly the same thing.

Sounds like you and your kids had a great adventure. And that's what it's all about, man.

Welcome to SN.

Old 12-23-2009

KBuckley is on a distinguished road
Plumbean;

Great story. Captures the joy of sailing, little adventures, & being a Dad, all in one. Made my day.

Best of the season.
Old 12-23-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine up in Wisconsin was taking his Tartan 37 from the marina to winter haul out, but got this far and changed his mind.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 12-23-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2009
Last Man Standing

John, I can't get anything with the link.

Old 12-23-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Plumb, Thank you for taking me back to my childhood. I used to keep a 12 1/2 foot sloop moored in little neck bay right where you took the picture. I grew up in a house that overlooked the marsh (eel grass) that runs from Great Neck to Little Neck Bay. A real blast from the past. Thanks again.