Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
For all those who said he'd never leave the dock - time to eat some barbecued crow.

Definitely an epic BFS CD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey Everyone! How are you? Anything exciting happen while I was away? I am sure everyone got along, no bannings, and no rule-breaking!

Well, I will try and recount a bit of our trip and some pics. A lot of it was very uneventful. Some of it was too eventful and your's truly made at least one bad decision (not the last, I assure you). So, here goes:

We dropped the boat in Pensacola. I will do a lot more writeups about this later, but let me tell you that Pensacola rates number one on my list of places to take your boat and outfit her. I have been to MANY ports, from San Diego, Houston/Kemah, obviously the Valiant Yard at Texoma, and all over southwest Florida, and I will tell you that these guys are top notch, extremely courteous, VERY NICE, and inexpensive. All those words do not typically go together, as anyone in boating knows. Again, I will do lots of pics and writeups on this later, but for those completing the circle and exiting Mobile, this is a great port to refit if you only want to push east a bit further.

The outfitting in Pensacola went fairly seemless. Nothing broke on the shipment. We chose Penbsacola because I figured that we might get stuck there for Christmas (which we did) and I wanted a nicer place to spend Christmas with the family than some other ports. And yes, for those interested, Santa Clause does make visits to boats! He took good care of the kiddos (and mom and dad's credit card). I seem to have some of those pics on my other camera, so we will have to hold off there.

After we had everything ready, Kris and the kids hoped in the truck and headed south to Fort Myers Beach with some good friends of ours that live on the beach. We came VERY close to taking them with us (especially Chase) as it looked like it would be a milk run across the gulf. In the end, we decided not to and simply dad and I went across. This turned out to be a very good decision as you will see shortly.

I tried to pick my weather window fairly well, and failed miserably. I headed out a tad bit too early. The weather called for a northern to come through after the high and clock the winds around to a favorable reach. Instead, the wind built and never clocked and the seas got nasty. By that time we were committed.

Here is a pic of us as we headed out. That is dad steering and Pensacola Bay in the background.

When we headed out the wind was blowing out of the east about 15-20k and the air temp was in the 50's I would guess. We elected to put up a full enclosure (except the back) and it turned out to be a life saver. I have become a huge fan of them overnight - although the seas partially tore some of it in the gale.

By that evening the wind was blowing sustained 25 and gusting to 30. By nightfall it was usstained 25-35, and we saw 50 knots - all out of the freaking east. The problem was that we were heading east too! We tacked and tacked countless miles. The seas grew nast and were breaking over our nose as we rushed down into the trough. We consistently took breakers on the dodger and about every fifteen minutes took one ON TOP of the bimini! I am sorry that the pics suck and they do not do the seas justice, but here goes with some lousy pictures:

Before Nightfall:

It was about this time we realized that the wind and weather had been very badly guessed by our friendly meteorologists, and wee were going to be in for a nice little gale offshore.

By nightfall:

The wind picking up and gusting way past 25, though I only shot 25 here.

These are pics right after the seas broke on our Bimini. The bimini held it, but everything leaked through. By that time we were soaking wet and getting beat up.

At the worst of it I ended up having a roller furling failure... but not the in-mast! The jib got backed as we tried to pull it in and I had to go forward and get her un-tangled from the roller furling. I honetly thought I was going to have to cut down the jib at one point as it was very hard to hold ontp the boat and get it unraveled while staying safe. Poor dad was sicker than a dog. trying to keep her running straight in a large rolling sea. But we did it and got her in and nothing broke.

Well, we survived the gale. We pulled into Panama City that next morning (we were not scheduled to make panama, but it is an awesome stop over guys for those who need to get a rest and it is an easy port to make even in a storm). Thumbs up to Panama City.

We got ourselves cleaned up and waited out the approaching front as it pushed in. Poor Mountain Mike (a member here and a super nice guy) got his hands full in that one.

Lots more to tell here, but let's just say that I will be making my way north to Panama City come Spring. It looks an awesome cruising cround and is pretty and relatively cheap. They cater to cruisers and it shows.

At Panama, on the back side of the low/Northern, we puched out. We may have pushed out a tad bit early, but I wanted to catch the back side and run with it and see how the boat would do offshore in that kind of seas and wind. She did awesome, awesome, awesome! Here, take a look at the speed:

That's right... 9.1 knots, but I saw 9.5 and we did a steady 8.5-8.8! We were surfing, Baby. And it was a nice, smooth easy run. It was colder than crap. I think it got below freezing both nights, but the trip was so nice and smooth that we alterered our course further south to make straight for Port Charlotte and avoided Tampa and the other cities all together.

Here are some much nicer and more memorable pics:

And some of my favorite pics of the trip:

This pic was offshore between appalachicola and Tampa, IIRC. It is Sunset (soon to go in our sunset pics thread). Nope... no green flash. I am beginning to believe that is a myth!!! Although dad did flush the toilet and we got some brown-green flashes... but I do not think that is the same.

First, beautiful sunrise... (the others were yucky and cloudy)...

I just thought this pic looked cool! The sun was lighting up the Jib brilliantly and I had to take a pic of it creatively. Xort would be proud!

Anyways, that is at least part one of the trip. I will try and get some more stories and pics up a little later. Everyone take care. I will reply back to all of you as soon as I can!!

Brian and family!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see you and the thread are still going strong Smack. I've been doing a bunch of sailing on my buddy's C-27 but nothing I'd call BFS worthy. My C-25 splashes water today with a new bottom job, masthead light and roller furler. This weekend looks like some great sailing in North Texas, good wind and in the sixties all weekend long.

For the people who think you're promoting dangerous sailing and endangering people, they should GTFO of the thread because they're just a bunch of whiny harpies who clearly don't get the spirit of it.

This thread is always the one that leads me back to sailnet.

Plum and CD, I loved your stories.

Smack, I like your new merch site but I have a question, what is "Get flicked"?

BTW, my band is supposed to head down to Austin and play Rockfest during SXSW in March, maybe we can get out for a sail or rum or three?
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
Smack, I like your new merch site but I have a question, what is "Get flicked"?

BTW, my band is supposed to head down to Austin and play Rockfest during SXSW in March, maybe we can get out for a sail or rum or three?
PCP - congrats on the upcoming splash dude! And definitely let me know when you're here. The rum and sailing are on me.

As for the "get flicked" - it's one of two things:

1. Getting banned (which I know a lot about).
2. Being the greenhorn crewman in a blow and having the boat "flick" you over the rail like a booger - while the skipper rolls his/her eyes and throws the obligatory Lifesling.

I've got #1 completely covered. And I'm sincerely hoping to avoid #2 when I help JohnShasteen move his boat in the next couple of months. Even so, I'll be sporting that fine hoodie on that sail.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
PCP - congrats on the upcoming splash dude! And definitely let me know when you're here. The rum and sailing are on me.

As for the "get flicked" - it's one of two things:

1. Getting banned (which I know a lot about).
2. Being the greenhorn crewman in a blow and having the boat "flick" you over the rail like a booger - while the skipper rolls his/her eyes and throws the obligatory Lifesling.

I've got #1 completely covered. And I'm sincerely hoping to avoid #2 when I help JohnShasteen move is boat in the next couple of months. Even so, I'll be sporting that fine hoodie on that sail.

Cool, will do.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

As for the safety issue I do want to make one thing clear...

Pushing limits in sailing (the idea behind BFS) requires much more attention to safety - than not doing it. Just look at those who race, or those who sail through nasty conditions. If you're not careful...you're dead. I think everyone, including new sailors with at least double digit IQs, really understand this.

Complacency kills.

That said, like I've said a million times, "pushing limits" is very relative. My "limits" as a new sailor are not any other sailor on this board's "limits". The trick is being smart enough to recognize what your limits are and what you need to do to safely prepare for and push them. Because, as you can see by the stories herein, doing that successfully is pretty much the most fun thing you'll ever do in your life.

(This Public Service Announcement brought to you by the "Darwinian Society of Reckless Sailors".)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-21-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't know about you, but I am not too crazy about when someone copies an entire post of mine without my permission to promote his own agenda. Cruisingdad probably feels the same. This is pretty clearly what Smackdaddy keeps doing...like he did with CD's post about his post about his last trip.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

Dog, dude, if you want me to uncopy one of your posts just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige. Where is it? And what was my "agenda" with it?

CD's perfectly welcome to do the same.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I don't know about you, but I am not too crazy about when someone copies an entire post of mine without my permission to promote his own agenda. Cruisingdad probably feels the same. This is pretty clearly what Smackdaddy keeps doing...like he did with CD's post about his post about his last trip.

I thought CD's post was a great example of a BFS and if it hadn't been on this thread I would have missed it. Besides, it's a public forum right? Why would someone need permission to quote what you've posted on a public thread or do you guys have some crazy rules I'm not aware of?
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Smackdaddy could just as easily have posted a permalink and a brief summary, rather than hijacking the post in its entirety.

First, hijacking the post in its entirety, without permission of the writer is pretty much against the rules of the forum as I recall it, since it is a copyrighted work. In the Terms of service it says:

Quote:
Copyright violations are prohibited. Please link to any web content you are concerned about rather than pasting it on the site. Some copyright material may be posted on the site under 'fair use' doctrine but moderators will remove any questionable material they find and the copyright holder for the content of your posts may hold YOU responsible
Second, hijacking the post in its entirety instead of posting a permalink adds a lot of redundant data to the server, which in short time will lead to more resources being needed. As SmackDaddy probably doesn't work in the IT field, he probably doesn't have a clue about what this can mean.

Third, IMHO, his primary agenda is to drive traffic to his BFS site... which is a commercial site. It'd be different if he didn't have a link to his commercial site in his signature...but he does. I'd also point out that the Terms of Service say:

Quote:
You may not insert a signature in your post promoting a commercial enterprises/website unless you are a Sailnet Advertiser.
Smackdaddy, are you a sailnet advertiser??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-21-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nah, it's PUBLIC material. If it was on a private blog or something it would be a different story. Dog just doesn't like smack or his BFS thread very much.... However, most times, smack asks a poster's permission before using a post.

Uh huh, smack started this thread a long time before he started that little business of his. He actually started that business after getting suggestions to do so from others up here so chill out Dog..