Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Charlie—

Just cause it is posted on an open internet forum, doesn't mean that the work isn't the property of the person who wrote it or that the material is in the public domain. It is still copyrighted text and photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nah, it's PUBLIC material. If it was on a private blog or something it would be a different story. Dog just doesn't like smack or his BFS thread very much.... However, most times, smack asks a poster's permission before using a post.

Uh huh, smack started this thread a long time before he started that little business of his. He actually started that business after getting suggestions to do so from others up here so chill out Dog..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Charlie—

Just cause it is posted on an open internet forum, doesn't mean that the work isn't the property of the person who wrote it or that the material is in the public domain. It is still copyrighted text and photos.

IDK, it's not copy written material from another site, it's a post on another thread in the same forum. I guess if there was a problem CD, who I notice is an ADMIN and a MOD, would handle up.

So why don't you like smack?
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
To each his own

I have really enjoyed this long running thread for several reasons. Mainly it consolidates "prime nuggets" from many different places into one which I can follow like a novel or blog when I want some late night reading to see how others are doing.

Secondly, I appreciate (and I would bet the administrators of the sailnet servers do as well) the fact that while duplication does increase storage requirements, it actually reduces IO bandwidth in terms of setting up and tearing down multiple sessions (from the servers perspective). Considering disk storage is really cheap when compared to IO bandwidth, having multiple stories per requested page is actually an operating cost reduction.

And finally, there are the legal internet copyright issues that vary from country to country. No point in even trying to peel that onion. It will only make you cry.

Peace,
Maze
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Siiiiiggggghhhhhh. First, welcome back Dog. It's good to see you posting again. Really. I hope your holidays were rockin' and that you got some sweet sailing in.

Now that that's outta the way, why do you insist on stirring up trouble, dude? You're doing an admirable job of barking...but, as usual, it's just up the wrong tree.

Let's look at these torrid allegations one by one...

Quote:
Smackdaddy could just as easily have posted a permalink and a brief summary, rather than hijacking the post in its entirety.
Hellllooooo, dude, I'm right here. You can actually talk to me if you'd like.

I asked you earlier what post of yours that you're talking about me "hijacking". You've still not really answered that one. So?

As for adding CD's killer post to the BFS thread...as I said earlier, if he has a problem with it and asks me to remove it...I'm happy to oblige.

Now - as for permalinking or summarizing...no thanks. Too much hassle. It's way easier to just quote the best posts and bring 'em in. Also, I wouldn't want to run the risk of misquoting someone or garbling their prose. Know what I mean?

Quote:
First, hijacking the post in its entirety, without permission of the writer is pretty much against the rules of the forum as I recall it, since it is a copyrighted work. In the Terms of service it says:

Copyright violations are prohibited. Please link to any web content you are concerned about rather than pasting it on the site. Some copyright material may be posted on the site under 'fair use' doctrine but moderators will remove any questionable material they find and the copyright holder for the content of your posts may hold YOU responsible
I've noticed you like to use terms like "pretty much", "as I recall" and "probably" a lot. Not exactly rock solid legal jargon when throwing around copyright law - but that's neither nor there.

Do you not use the quote feature on SN? Do you ask the original poster's permission when you do? Did you just steal or plagiarize CharlieCobra's previous post when you quoted it? Hmmm.

Have you ever quoted something from one SN thread to the other without asking permission? Were you outraged at yourself when you did it?

Don't I recall you pulling in stuff from other forums (screenshots and the like) and posting it here? Was that crossing your line?

C'mon.

With your reading of the above rule any of these things - very typical with IN-FORUM content - would be verboten. So I think you're grasping on this one.

I'm pretty sure what the rule is talking about is copyrighted content from outside SN being pulled in without permission. And, in any case, the rule states that the mods will delete anything they find questionable. So far things seem to be okay...except with you.

But let's continue...

Quote:
Second, hijacking the post in its entirety instead of posting a permalink adds a lot of redundant data to the server, which in short time will lead to more resources being needed. As SmackDaddy probably doesn't work in the IT field, he probably doesn't have a clue about what this can mean.
Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh. Wow. Where to start? Okay, first, my hunch is that, based on previous chatter I've seen from rather disgruntled folks about my internet forum "techniques", your main problem is the "Old Salt's..." thread.

Assuming this is right - why did I start it? You should go take a look in that thread to see why. Or look in recent posts in FC for an explanation. In short, it was to save newbs from having to dig through hundreds of old threads to find great information from great sailors. From this one central location (the Old Salt's thread) they can then jump directly into the threads from which the best posts came and continue the discussion based on their needs.

It seems that someone around here...can't remember who...routinely told them to dig to hell and back to find stuff themselves so they wouldn't ask such stupid questions (bandwidth). Then they told them, quite firmly, never to float an old thread - but to start new ones instead (storage).

Now, take a deep breath and think for a moment Dog. According to your redundant data paradigm above, which of these approaches is far more brilliant? Exactly. And the Old Salt technique is not only carbon neutral, it actually HELPS newbies to SN find info they're looking for without having to ask the salts the same old questions!

I amaze myself...even without an IT clue!

I'm actually curious as to the real reasons you think doing something like this is a bad thing.

Quote:
Third, IMHO, his primary agenda is to drive traffic to his BFS site... which is a commercial site. It'd be different if he didn't have a link to his commercial site in his signature...but he does. I'd also point out that the Terms of Service say:

"You may not insert a signature in your post promoting a commercial enterprises/website unless you are a Sailnet Advertiser."

Smackdaddy, are you a sailnet advertiser??
Look at the ad in the middle of various pages. Yes I am. As Charlie said, the online store grew out of this very thread. Not the other way around.

However, being a SN advertiser doesn't give me any leeway to be a jerk. It actually gives me far less. And I understand that.

So, if you'll stop with the weirdness, I'll stop with the sarcasm. I'm happy to talk it out WITH YOU if you'd like. But you'll need to talk TO me, not make proclamations ABOUT me. Deal?

Oh yeah - and finally, I have ALWAYS asked for and received written permission to use any outside content on the BFS site. (BTW - when are you gonna BFS dude?)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-21-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Dog's just in a bad mood today. He has already corrected me in a different thread for suggesting that someone could safely pass a piece of ribbon through a centerboard cable for marking purposes without suffering dire consequences.
As if I don't know what corrosion is.
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yeah - but for some crazy reason, you just have to kind of love the guy. You know what I mean?

I think he just needs a good noogie.

Old 01-21-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Doggies love to be scratched on the rump. But I'm not going there.
Old 01-21-2010

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
Weather

Hey Smackdaddy why don't you come down to Pensacola and go for a sail. My CAL is in the backyard waiting for me to finish the new bottom job. But the H16 is in the front yard ready to go. We might find some BFS the winds get up there regularly this time of the year.

Mc

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

MC - I would LOVE to fly a hull on a Hobie. I've never sailed on one but they look freakin' awesome. I've thought about eventually buying one for my 2 sons so they'll have something to get crazy on as they get older.

You better watch it - because I've actually taken up a few invitations around here. And be advised, I drank all their liquor and left the toiled seat up! I'm no picnic.

Old 01-21-2010

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
Come on down! The artic freeze has moved back to the north. Forcast this week is partly thunderstorm (good for BFS) with Highs around 68. I'll put my grandson on toilet seat patrol. Can't take a chance on the women getting mad about that one and there is allways more high octane to be found at the store

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19