Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
Probably close to that when your flying a hull, depending on the weight of the crew. We always do better with avoiding pitchpole when I am on the helm. That puts more weight toward the back of the boat. When my 10 year old grandson and I are out and he is on the tiller I have to be careful about not moving to far forward on choppy days.

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19

Last edited by Mc51; 01-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2010

Can somebody tell me how to insert a picture into a post. I have a good bow on view of my son flying a hull that I tried to insert but it didn't show

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19
Old 01-23-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Here you go McFitty:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailne...-pictures.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-23-2010

JB Flying

Okay, second attempt. Bow on pic of my son flying a hull.

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19
Old 01-23-2010

It was a firewall issue. I got that corrected but the pic is small. If you want to see a larger view got to my member gallery

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19
Old 01-25-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I'm thinking: pitchpoling means you ran into a wave whose height is greater enough than the length of your boat that it can toss it tail-over-tincups.

How does a Hobie 16 get into a sea state that severe? Or are there conditions that will toss a Hobie less than that?

Thanks!
Smack, that picture is HILARIOUS.

The sea state was anything but severe, wind was 15 to 20 knts on the lake. We were cooking along close to the wind, the starboard pontoon started flying and the port pontoon went underwater and dug in and that was all she wrote. I was thrown forward and landed on the main sail. The toe nail damage occurred during our failed attempt at righting the boat. My toe got stuck in the little gap on between the deck and the hull. SNAP!

This weekend we had some great sailing, not exactly BFS material but good times. Friday night we had a nice fresh steady breeze, were running along at a 30 to 40 degree heel under the stars. My C 25 is fast now with the new bottom job and now I'm running a 135 with a new roller furler so it was nice to be able to get out and test the new rig and sail.

Sunday we had a steady sustained breeze right at 17 to 20 knts out of the north. Had a nice sail down wind to the dam on the lake but getting home got exciting. To get home we pulled down the main and beat home through a 2 foot chop. Hull was crashing through the waves and we were getting a little bit wet. My three year old slept through the whole thing, flanked by pillows in the quarter berth. We had to pull the cabin hatch back so that he didn't get wet with the bow spray. Fortunately for us the wind shifted to the west and were able to get back by the marina in 3 tacks. The sun came back out and the wind dropped for just enough time for me to raise the main and then it came back at 23 to 25 knts steady. My wife was like "Why do you have to push it all the time? I was just wanting to chill and have some cheese crackers and wine and you're putting the toe rail in the water!" We dropped the main again and headed home.

I've got to tell you, the convenience factor of roller furling certainly compensates for the performance hit. It's so nice to be able to reduce sail quickly when things get jiggy especially when you're out there just with your wife and three year old and even nicer to be able to drop and cover the main, roll up the head sail and be done by the time we hit the dock.

So yeah, we stayed on the boat from Friday through Sunday and had some great sailing this weekend. Hope some of you guys did as well.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Last edited by PCP777; 01-25-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add some pics yo.
Old 01-25-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey - nothing wrong with cheese and crackers sometimes. Nice sail dude.

Old 01-25-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey - nothing wrong with cheese and crackers sometimes. Nice sail dude.
My God, its Wallace and Grommet.

Old 01-25-2010
Last Man Standing

Ooo...wensleydale...

Old 01-28-2010
Last Man Standing

Man - it's great to find these 8 year old threads with really cool stuff in them! I think RobG is still around...and I for one would definitely like to be "bored" by your heavy air stories!

Like I said poreviously in this thread - I've seen 50 knots only once on my boat - and I was in the slip. Freakin' scary.

Where were you when you were hit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I have been sailing for 2 years, this being the first full season with my C&C.

I don''t know who is more thick, me or NOAA but I am just now learning to add 10 knots of wind and 2 feet of sea to their forcast.

I won''t bore you with heavy air stories that only I think are comical, but I will say that my boat has on at least 4 occasions this year stood up well to winds over 40 knots and seas of up to 9 feet. Also, my boat has been sailing WAY longer than I have so I think it is safe to assume it has seen heavy air before.

I have seen on one breezy afternoon under double reef and no head sail, my wind speed indicator reach 50 (yes fifty) knots. And yes I have 3 witnesses. The only flexing was my butt clenching as myself and 3 other sailors decided to get in an early sail before a storm was due to hit. Yes, that is a stupid thing to do but I never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the xmass tree.

4 guys standing around the boatyard bullshiting because NOAA says don''t go out today can be a bad combination.

Did I say I wasn''t going to bore you?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.