Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
I am doing the Oregon Offshore on Rage this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-rage1-750x1024.jpg  
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mackconsult; 03-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Thank goodness this was not me .
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Mack! What the hell happened with that thing?????

Your upcoming ride, Rage, looks very nice, dude. What is the course for the OOS?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-05-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
That laser and his supposed helmsman were racing over in Europe last week. I guess a pretty good 30 knot gust came threw and some one was there at the right time and place to catch that shot.

Oregon Offshore (100 mile race) starts out at bouy 2 just out side the Columbia River entrance. Usually its a beat up the coast, then go around Straits of the Juan De Fuaca bouy for a spinnaker run down into Victoria. Last year was my record run on Riva a J-46 at 29 hrs.

riva

That attached plot is from 2006 when I did this race on a Mumm 30, red was rhumbline, the other line was our course. It was cold and wet, like most typical offshore races here in the PNW. This will be my 16th offshore I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Mack! What the hell happened with that thing?????

Your upcoming ride, Rage, looks very nice, dude. What is the course for the OOS?
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-offshore_2006.jpg  
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar

Old 03-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I have absolutely no connection to the makers of this life raft. i just ran across the story about these 4 dudes who rode out 190 knot winds and 35' seas in the thing.

Pretty freakin' impressive if you ask me. Check it...

Four Men Survive Hurricane Allen in a Givens Buoy Raft

Old 03-07-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have absolutely no connection to the makers of this life raft. i just ran across the story about these 4 dudes who rode out 190 knot winds and 35' seas in the thing.

Pretty freakin' impressive if you ask me. Check it...

Four Men Survive Hurricane Allen in a Givens Buoy Raft

Impressive yes, but then again you NEVER hear the stories of those rafts that fail in some way....

BTW, I think we should caption the laser picture.

"Honey, do you think we should put a reef in?"
"Hey, lets put up the spinnaker."
"Hey captain, what are the signs of an impending jybe?"

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-07-2010
Last Man Standing

How about this...

Old 03-07-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'd call that a spinout. I've done that on the V-21 but I didn't catch near as much air...

Old 03-08-2010
Last Man Standing

Hey - I just noticed the BFS thread has more views than the "Jokes of the day..." thread in Off Topic. Now I know this whole big sailing thing is legit.

If we could just catch that pesky "Song Chain" thread through more wild-eyed sailing stories!

C'mon fellas! Shovel that snow off yer decks and go sailing!

Old 03-08-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys. So Sunday the 28th we were racing in about 20 knot wind. Damaged my traveler and actually shipped water over my coaming into the cockpit. Took 3rd place overall and the traveler is fixed. (Although I think I bent it too.)

Saturday on my friend's C-27 we actually did it again, shipped water over the coaming into the cockpit, got the jib sheet winches wet. Took 2nd place in our class.

Guess we might have had a bit too much sail up??? Nah!
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Last edited by PCP777; 03-09-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Can't type worth a crap.
Old 03-09-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Although I don't consider it BFS, Smack asked me to tell my story so here it is:

After getting 3 winter day sails under my belt, I decided it was time to show the wife where all the the money went. So on a Saturday in early March, I satisfied the pre-sail checklist, and for the first time ever, had a brief argument with the outboard, and then we departed with 4 souls onboard.

15-20 minutes later, we put the bow into a 10 kt wind and I raised the sails. All text-book so far. After 10 minutes of sailing, the wind simply died. I shook out the reef in disappointment.

I floundered around for a bit in the weak breeze watching the water settle into bumpy glass. I noticed 3 sailboats behind me also flailing around, getting nowhere. After a bit, they fired their engines and glided past me. I muttered something about "f-ing cheaters".

A weak breeze from the NE came in fits and starts pushing us a little further into the Chesapeake, and south for a time.

Just as I'd decided to give up and motor home, the wind changed direction to NW, and built over 5 minutes to 15kts or so. Whatever it was, it was stiff.

We zipped north, flying through flat water that hadn't had a chance to build waves yet to the river entrance bouy. The crew was cold, so I sent them below to warm up with the heater, and I decided that this would be a great time to learn to single hand. Judging by all the chatter and cackling I heard from below, they seemed to be warming up and relaxing nicely

I rounded the bouy and headed due west, steering the "sweet spot" that kept my jib tell-tales flying level. A moment later a gust heeled the boat over a bit, nothing crazy but I called below for everyone to hold on as I corrected with the tiller.

A while later, we arrived at the Whitemarsh Creek entrance which was dead into the wind. The channel is a little skinny to tack so we dropped the sails and motored the last leg back. The sun was below the horizon so I burned the nav lights. We made a perfect, stern-first docking just as everything went black.

Being alone in the cockpit during that blow was heaven. For a brief time, I was master of my vessel and master of the elements. (Don't worry, I know it's just an illusion)

As an aside, the next day my wife told me that she was facing the leeward port, watching the water flow by when that gust hit. She said that all of a sudden, "the sky disappeared, and the water was very close to the window!" Kind of a "Hello!" moment for her. I informed her that the solution is to look out the windward port, where all she'll see is the sky.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.