Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
I have a good one.

2006 Oregon Offshore in May on a Mumm 30. 5 of us set out on Thursday to do the race and then turn around and deliver back. It was a cold beat up the coast and I think all of us got seasick. We turned the corner at neah bay and flew a chute (going as much as 15 knots at times) into Victoria. As soon as we crossed the finish line we turned the boat around and headed over to Port Angeles to drop crew off, fuel up, get ice/food.

Then off we motored head to wind pounding threw the waves in the straights of the Juan dE Fuca. We consumed almost all of our fuel getting out of the straights, (light boats are better sailing in those conditions, but only if you have crew to put on the rail). By the time we got around Neah Bay, we only had a couple of gallons of fuel, and the wind had completely died. We continued chugging down the coast, thinking we might have to head into an mid point port for fuel but still praying for some wind.

I found a crab bouy, then another ...... I followed the crab line and ran across a 60 ft crab boat. We asked them if we could buy some diesel, they said sure. So I took the captains unopened bottle of whiskey, and taped a $20 on the outside. We threw a line over to them and on the other end tied the bottle of whiskey, and a fuel can.

The crab boat was so happy, they gave us fuel, and then offered a 30 lb cod fish. We had to decline because there is no refrigeration on a mumm 30.

An hour later 25 knot NW filled in and off we went at about 12 knots under spinnaker. It was one of the most awesome deliveries I have had going 80 miles in about 6 hours.

The pinnacle of this delivery was getting to the Columbia River bar at around 8pm. We then found we didn't have the charts on board, so I drive the boat from red bouy to red bouy on an outgoing tide in dark under mainsail. We shined a flashlight on each bouy and used dead reckoning to go bouy to bouy. The south side of the jetty is where one wants to be till you get inside then you switch over to the green bouys to avoid the shoals on the south side.

Skipper said he almost had a heart attack ...... but we where fine.
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mackconsult; 03-09-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Being alone in the cockpit during that blow was heaven. For a brief time, I was master of my vessel and master of the elements. (Don't worry, I know it's just an illusion)
That right there is what it's all about as far as I'm concerned. You're a new sailor and you got that rush. Now go back and look at Bubb's 9 knot sail and how excited he was about it. Without doubt, he's a salt - and he still gets that BFS rush.

That feeling never, ever gets old. That's sailing.

Definitely BFS dude. Congrats.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Great BFS mack! Whiskey, spins, Jacksons, cod, and heart attacks - what could be better!

Old 03-09-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
Give me some time ...... I have lots of good stories in my 34 years on the water .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Great BFS mack! Whiskey, spins, Jacksons, cod, and heart attacks - what could be better!
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar

Old 03-09-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Give me some time ...... I have lots of good stories in my 34 years on the water .
Sweet! That's what this thread is all about!

Old 03-10-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Smack, ever ship water into your cockpit on your C 27?
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 03-10-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
Smack, ever ship water into your cockpit on your C 27?
Not water really. Just pee when I get hit with 30 knots with too much sail up and I'm crying in the fetal position on the sole. Shipped that plenty of times.

Seriously, how the hell did you get over far enough for water to be coming in? Were the waves kicking up? The C27 has so much freakin' freeboard I am honestly impressed with your watery prowess.

Old 03-10-2010

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
BFS??? not quite but still fastest i've been!

Smack asked me to repost this so here it goes....

Hey all,

Some may recall that I have been rebuilding a Stiletto over the last 7 months. Well, after countless hours and more money than I even want to consider, she went into the drink 2 weekends ago.

This past weekend I took her out for her first sailing voyage.

The day started with 10-15 kt winds. Perfect weather. Just because she was just rerigged and fresh on the water I ran a heavily reefed Calvert main and a storm jib.... I wanted to bring the stress into the rig slowly and not just throw a full roach main and spinny in the air first day out.

Took a bit to figure her out...she is my first multihull! But once I did!!!
G*D D*MN!!!!

In 15 kt winds I was averaging 12 kts!!! As the afternoon winds built we started to have some serious gusts build. The local weather bouy recorded 37 MPH! I didn't get a GPS speed reading but I estimate 18-20 kts under sail. I had rooster tails off my rudders! I passed a fishing flats boat under motor power... he tried to throttle up BUT I STILL OUT PACED him!!! Remember those rules of the road questions that would ask about a sailboat under sail passing a motorboat under power and who had the right of way?? Remember how the answer stated something like blah blah HOWEVER UNLIKELY blah blah the sailboat gives way. Well maybe not that unlikely!

So much for not stressing the boat I can't believe all the speed with such heavily reefed sail area. I can't imagine what I could have achieved with full sail area in play. BTW, I came in when I noticed the leeward shrouds were getting sloppy... she has a fresh rig and the cables are still stretching and setting. Had to re-tension her later.

Did notice a few negatives... She does NOT want to go through the wind. I had to jibe for ALL direction changes. The force of the water on the rudders at that speed was amazing. It took some serious elbow grease to make major course changes. Keeping her in the wind to drop sails was a major PITA. Without the usual monohull mass, the Stiletto turns off from the wind almost instantly once you leave the helm to work the sails. It takes almost NO SAIL AREA for this boat to start to seriously move so you end up with a Main halfway down and flopping around and a boat now moving a 7+ kts... I got to get some crew or an autopilot... It's a real handful.

Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy the tale. The darkside is indeed powerful!
Old 03-10-2010
Last Man Standing

You spent 7 months rebuilding that bad boy and pulled down 18 KNOTS or so - blowing away a stinkpot in the process???? WHILE REEFED????

DEFINITELY BFS!!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-10-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2010
Last Man Standing

Great BFS story from Doslocos in the "Knock Down" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doslocos View Post
I have heard it said that anyone with any time on the Ocean has experienced a knockdown. I am not quite sure that is true but I can relay my experiences. "Tonic" you might want to read what I relay here, and you so far have been quite fortunate. I was transiting from Roatan Honduras to The Flats at Cristobal in Panama. As the trades are a constant 15 knots coming from the East going West and you are trying to go the opposite, this transit is rather difficult. Columbus spent 3 months attempting the same trip and when finally rounging the tip of Honduras he named the cape there, Cabo a Gracious De Dios. Roughly translated, thank God cape. The way to make this transit is to wait for a winter storm front to pass by and then run as fast as you can East following the front. It is a cold, wet, miserable trip. What happens is the winds shift from North East to North West and thus you are almost on a broad reach. My trip went as well as could be expected until I rounded Cabo a Gracious De Dios. The wind then decided to also round around and now I was on a broad reach all the way south to Panama with shore on one side, Reef on the other side and waves on my Port quarter. I took two knock downs by waves taller than my mast. I lost several pieces of equipment including my tri light which was some 38' above the deck. As I limped into the flats the local net came up and the weather man apologized for not reporting a major storm in the Western Caribbean over the past two days. He advised not transiting but staying put. You can imagine my response. It had a reference to Sherlock in it. As for preparation, I never went off shore with my hatched not battened and the hatch boards in place. I had a lock on my companion way hatch so it would not open unintentionally. Everything inside was stowed except what I needed for the transit at hand. I had two GPS's. One deck mounted inside the boat and one hand held outside the boat. I always checked one against the other and in the case of a discrepancy I referred to paper chart. I also have some 30 years of navigation skills thus have developed that inborn sense of long exposure and skill. Repairs to my boat took approximately 1 week. I also always wore a life vest with harness which was attached by tether to hard points in the cockpit. The Life vest I chose was an inflatable (manual). I choose a manual inflatable as I always wondered if an automatic might go off by itself at just the wrong moment. I found others to be to bulky and in and of themselves dangerous. I single handed a 30' boat with 6 berths thus I carried 6 kapok life jackets which were always within reach. I also had a hard dodger which slowed the boat because of wind resistance but kept me from getting washed overboard several times. Could I have kept from being knocked down? Probably not. Was I prepared? Yes.