Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow - look what i just found! A video of a Macgregor 26 pulling down a serious BFS!

The greatest part is that it was filmed in April by Macgregor himself from his M72. Big wind, big seas, and a very interesting commentary...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
No BFS, just a photo. Weather is pretty snotty today in San Francisco. Thought I brighten up the day with a photo from my PacCup race in ’08. Yours truly surfing along in the low teens in a Nordic 44. California is just a little over a thousand miles beyond the horizon.

Old 03-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - you are livin' the life! That's freakin' beautiful.

Old 03-12-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Long week slaving away in the silicon mines. I get a call at noon today from the Doublehanded Lightship race committee telling me that the USCG will require a 406 MHz EPRIB for tomorrow’s race. My crewmate is making the mad scramble to his storage locker to find the one we used in the PacCup. Made a quick search on the internet. New ones mucho expensive! Quick call to Mrs. B. She’s not happy, would rather the money be put towards a 42. Oh brother! I need a vacation! Wait, maybe I can put myself back into that happy place.

Ahhh, there’s that happy place. Same race, different day and different board. San Francisco to Kaneohe is 2,200 NM of driving nirvana!
Old 03-12-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
MY BFS experience in the Opalko

Picasa Web Albums - donn.christianson - Opalko and Sa...

The Opalko was a "free" boat. I got it from my friend John in exchange for pressure washing his house and clearing his back yard of blackberry vines. When we went to get the San Juan 21 at the storage yard, it had three feet of water in it. *In* it. Fortunately, the inside of the boat is all glass and all the cushions and sails were in his nice dry garage. It took us an hour to empty the boat and get it ready to tow.

I spent two months cleaning it up, painting it, installing a bulkhead compass, a battery for the lights, etc. The sails were old but in good condition. I had a main, a jib and a 150%.

Though the San Juan 21 is basically a class racer, I outfitted her for cruising and day sailing fun. In order to single hand her I added weight to the boat. While the centerboard is 400lbs, with just me aboard, I could not keep her stable in heavier winds. So I built two wooden boxes that fit next to the centerboard trunk and placed 200lbs of barbell weights (four 50lb disks) in them. This firmed the boat right up. I could now easily single hand her in almost any wind without having to point to depower or reef too early.

My BFS story?

Aside from many a windy day with the rail near the water on close reaches and actually getting the 21 foot thing to surf and sometimes plane on broad reaches with large sail out, my hardest trip was the end of a four day sail around Lake Washington and the Puget Sound. The September weekend was forecast as overcast and windy.

I launched at Bellevue Marina and headed west, putting the sails up as soon as I could and headed for Lake Union. After making my way close to the cut and dropping sail, I motored through the cut, making my way to single hand it through the small locks and then to Shilshole. I spent the day sailing across the sound and back in 15-20kt winds, with the big dingy flying along. I think the waves were four to five feet at times. With the added ballast the tenderness was gone. She was steady but still fast on the water.

Spending the night in Shilshole, I returned the next day, crashing along south to Elliott Bay and past the city of Seattle. The winds were from the south west again and closer just over 20 kts. I reefed a little and let her surf back north on a broad reach, almost jumping waves. It was a blast.

At times I was quite glad that I had a PFD, harness and safety line attached to the cockpit. The boat was really flying along.

I made my way back through the locks (the big one this time) and spent the night in Lake Union under dark and stormy skies.

Weather reports called for periods of heavy rain and continued winds gusting above 20-25. The sailing was basically done for the trip as I motored along the cut back to Lake Washington. I couldn't help myself though and had to at least hoist the reefed main when I hit the lake. I wanted to sail back from the mouth of the cut to Bellevue. I didn't want to end my trip on the Johnson outboard.

So, the winds continued to blow and, in a reach, I once again jumped waves and contended with gusty conditions. The sky was black as hell and the spray was coming completely over the boat. I had the cabin hatches completely closed and I was definitely tied in with the safety line.

Then I got something the weather reports didn't call for and doesn't happen often. The low booming started in the distance and became louder and more oppressive as I was exactly dead center in the lake.

The first lightning bolts started falling, hitting Mercer Island in front of me and Mt. Baker behind me. There was *no* interval between the flash and the boom. The lighting storm was right there, right above me, along with the wind and the waves, which were worse in the lake because they were bouncing off Mercer Island. I think, to this day, I was in six footers, sometimes a little larger.

Screw sailing...It was getting too dangerous. I dropped the main and fired up the Johnson, which thankfully was larger than the boat needed and would give me a couple more knots of speed with the semi-planing hull. It pushed me pretty fast as I skirted under the lightning storms. There was nowhere to go except onward.

As I made it into the harbor with my floating lighting rod I tied up at the dock and got away from the boat. As I rested inside my truck, I watched lightning bolt after lightning bolt hit the lake, all across my previous path of sail. It continued for the next thirty minutes.

And that was the end of my BFS four day weekend on the Opalko.

I sold that boat a year later to buy some *land*. Idiot.

Now I'm selling my home to boy a boat again.

Last edited by blackjenner; 03-14-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Lightning in a little boat ain't no kinda fun. Been there, done that, with marble sized hail to go with it. That stuff stings....

Old 03-18-2010
Last Man Standing

Found this link through another site. Very nutty sailing on a tri in 50-70knots. Looks pretty stable actually...

Videos Posted by Oman Sail: Majan Rides the Hurricane (Reloaded) [HQ] | Facebook

Old 03-20-2010
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
I'm 18 year old so I still live with my parents,
My dad own a Cal 34 and I own a nordica 16

My BFS (nordica 16)

It was a nice Sunny day.
There was a small craft warning. Almost nobody was going out because it was blowing to hard.I was preparing my boat (reefing the main, starting the 2 HP motor...)when "Charlie" came out his sailboat and ask me if I was really going out alone, and that he was going to go but he change his mind because it was a little too windy for him.

He help me to leave the dock and I motored out the small channel of the marina. I raised the main sail wich was reefed, and when I tried to raise the jib,the wind caught it and twist it. (I only have a wirer luff on my nordica's jib) In the same time the wind caught the main sail, (the main sheet was tight) next thing I know the rail is in the water so I picked up the jib from the water and started sailing around with main only. It was a blast! The only thing is that I couldn't tack because the nordica is a full keel and I didn't had the jib to push to bow trough the wind so I could only jib. I had no problem going back in.

My father and I BFS ( Cal 34)

One day, one of my father's friend call and ask if we were up for a nice sail.
There was a smal craft warning and it was quite chopy.

Off we whent on our Cal 34.
we had a reef and a small jib(almost storm jib). The wave were maybe 5-6 feet high and there was a lot of spray. It was so nice going up and down these waves... Sometime we had the rail in the water and we had to play with the sheet cause my mother was getting nervous.(she's a none swimer)

I had to go on the front deck to secure the anchor, While I was there a wave hit the side of the boat and sent so much spray my dad couln't se me anymore...I was soked N wet... But I loved it!! It was a really nice sail!!

Last edited by PeterSailer; 03-20-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-22-2010
Last Man Standing

Hey Peter - welcome dude! And VERY NICE BFS!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2010
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey Peter - welcome dude! And VERY NICE BFS!!!!!!
Thanks

I don't know wy I waited so long before I joined Sail Net