Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I just want to point out that my BFS about making skippers pee uphill is totally true! I'd do it again, too.

My video post, not so much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Pain - in light of that post, I challenge you to re-write the lyrics of the "Gilligan's Island" theme to match that particular "BFS" video. And I expect Marianne to be a complete hussy this time around.
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
John - screw the PHE, that was awesome BFS, dude! Thanks. For me - a few takeaways:

1. When a tough French sailing dude uses baking terms to describe a sail (e.g. - souffle), be ready for BFS.
2. In conditions like that, with your level of experience, I would have soiled my foulies. I love your attitude.
3. I subscribe to your practice of peeing in the cockpits of other people's yachts. At our marina, they're on the lookout for a pesky armadillo that has "hit" almost every boat in the marina. Heh-heh. Fools!
4. Beaufort - that dude just likes to up the ante doesn't he?

Seriously, though, is the Beaufort Scale then the "F" (Force X) scale we've talked about - and inclusive of all conditions (wind/sea state/etc.)? And, if so, I assume your point is that it only really applies to open water (back to the sheltered sailing blessing)?

Again - great post.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-29-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Nice tale, John. Youth and inexperience made it a learning experience worth having, instead of a fearsome trial. Good point about the Lavac. My boat's sailing helm has little more than an 18-inch D x 26 inch W x 48 inch L footwell, but it has two three inch scuppers running aft and down for "watch relief".
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Smackie: Due to the presence of land and its funnelling effect along the longer axes of the Great Lakes, we freshwater sailors are quite used to the "closely packed wave trains" John mentions inshore, "falling" off the land. The waves here don't usually get above three or four metres (10-13 feet), or if they do, people don't deliberately sail in them. So in most cases it's the wave action, not the winds, that both make the crews sick and can damage the boats. What can be odd is when the winds are strong from either the SSE or the NNW in either Lakes Ontario or Erie, which is when there is very little fetch inshore, but loads of wind. The water looks like a nervous meringue pie with thousands of little peaks about half a metre high...but you can't SEE the wind on the water very well, and you can get the mast wet if you are overcanvassed for the same wind speeds John mentions.

I have talked with oceanic cruisers who've sailed in the Great Lakes and have admitted going out in just 25 knots with the characteristic small "square" waves have made them feel ill for the first time in years. By contrast, my first oceanic sailing was with Alex last year off Portugal and I didn't really notice what he judged was a three-metre ocean swell (with not a lot of waves on top of it at maybe 12 knots of wind) because it was so diffuse compared to what I usually experience in a much smaller inland sea.
Old 09-29-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
...Seriously, though, is the Beaufort Scale then the "F" (Force X) scale we've talked about - and inclusive of all conditions (wind/sea state/etc.)? And, if so, I assume your point is that it only really applies to open water (back to the sheltered sailing blessing)?

Again - great post.
Hey thanks. Yeah, the "Force X" is Beaufort-speak. In my story above, the French sailor was telling me that it was blowing somewhere between Force 7-9, I was just too ignorant to understand the message.

And yes, the scale applies to open water conditions. So it doesn't always match or sync-up too well with what we encounter in relatively protected waters. Usually, in protected waters, wave height lags well behind windspeed. They begin to match up better with the Beaufort Scale "Force" ratings as fetch increase -- as out on open waters.

Even in open waters, there is some fudge factor in the Beaufort Scale, so sailors will often give a range, like Force 7-9. In the initial stages of a heavy blow, it can take a while for the wave height to catch up to the windspeed. During that period, the waves tend to get tightly packed and very steep-faced. As the storm progresses, the waves usually get better organized, larger and spread out more.

Edit. P.S. What Valiente said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Nice tale, John. Youth and inexperience made it a learning experience worth having, instead of a fearsome trial. Good point about the Lavac. My boat's sailing helm has little more than an 18-inch D x 26 inch W x 48 inch L footwell, but it has two three inch scuppers running aft and down for "watch relief".
Val,

I like those Lavac toilets very much -- but in our prior discussions I neglected to mention this one down-side. On a regular toilet you can pump the handle and keep the bowl dry while going... That's where the scuppers come in, I guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-29-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
JRP,
That story belongs in the Sailnet Hall of Fame!
Old 09-29-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
John, that kinda sail sounds familiar as do those waves. Clear air Gales are strange beasts. Nice story, good lesson.

Pain, I did that to Jody when he came to sail. While he was in the head, we jumped a freighter wake at 7 knots. I didn't smell anything later nor did he complain.
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

Welcome Hog! I second that motion. I mean, his tale had foreign languages, exotic locales, rank bodily fluids, and everything! Kind of like Art Cinema with a serious edge.

BTW - have you been able to keep your rail in the water? Do the 30s have as much freeboard as the 27s? I'm getting discouraged here, dude. Help a brother out!