Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010

peptobysmol is on a distinguished road
For parts, its definitely worth it. For the trouble, no.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
"Man, that is really sad. Is it worth it and for how much would you guys say?"

A boat like this could easily have a negative value meaning that you could buy a Triton in near perfect shape for what it would cost to bring this boat back to a similar condition. Of course, if you are a really tallented boat worker with access to wholesale pricing, and you like working on boats so your time is seen as recreational rather than having value, then you might be able to put the ole girl back together.

Of course, then again, if you are going to invest all that money, time and labor into a boat, it should be a really great boat, one worth saving, and a Triton was a mediocre boat in its day and its day was a very long time ago so you might want to put your efforts into a better design.

And of course, you can often build a new boat for close to what it takes in time and money to restore a wreck and you could end with a great boat.

Jeff
Understood. What about parting it out? Spars, engine, any instruments, etc?

I guess that was my question. I'm pretty much in agreement that the boat hull is likely not worth saving.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Disposing of the rest of it could be a) difficult to arrange and b) costly too....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-06-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Disposing of the rest of it could be a) difficult to arrange and b) costly too....
I think of crazy and impractical things sometimes but, I wonder how long it would take to chainsaw this thing up into manageable chunks.

I'm not actually serious.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2010

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
My BFS was years ago on Lake Erie...same day as the edmund Fitzgerald went down on Lake Superior. We set out from the Erie Basin Marina near Buffalo on a Hobie 16. Three guys with wet suits and a SW wind blowing steady at 40 mph all the way straight from Cleveland to Buffalo un-blocked by land.
The boat flew, like a bat out of hell. Waves were so tall that we would lose sight of the entire city bewteen the swells. We stayed out for over an hour until the local Coast Guard came out from their near by hidy-hole in a 26 foot "patrol boat" and ordered us in.
We headed back to the ramp and while we were taking down the sails, the gale hit and our jib launched, flew all the way across the parking lot, the adjacent highway and wound up in some trees across the road. It was shreaded by the time we got it down.
This was even better than the time we took her out just after the harbour has skimmed over with ice...about 1/8 inch thick. The boat sounded like the Blue Angels coming in for a low pass as the ice shattered for yards around us as the hulls skimmed over and cut through the thin ice. Not as fast but almost as memorable a BFS.
Old 04-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap Fly! You were out on a Hobie when the "witch of November came early"? I bet that was a little sketchy.

And the ice sailing..definitely a BFS!

Great stories dude.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-09-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Cutting an FRP boat up with a chain saw or cutoff saw, Give me an hour or two! Assuming everything else is out or off that is metal or equal, Then half an hour with the bobcat, remains would be in the back of my dumptruck.

That would be a BFS or some such thing in and of itself. I seem to recall a video of an old J30 taking all of about 2 min at a refuse place to be demolished by a trackhoe or equal..........

With the right tools, no issues!

marty
Old 04-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay you chuckleheads, the season is FINALLY upon us (well at least for the Easties and SuperNorthies). So, let's hear some good old BFS stories from this season!

Who's going to get the 2010 Cup?

Whether it's a race around the "Cosmic Cans" of the Global Regatta, or just a killer sail in the stink...BRING 'EM ON!

Old 04-24-2010
Last Man Standing

Let's just say it was SMOKIN'! Great day on the Lake Travis GR course today - after flyin' a spin on a Melges 24 and hitting 17 knots on a Corsair 31. Full write up in the BFSGR thread.

15 steady, gusts to 25. Just about perfect.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-24-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
SOunds like my day on the sound, but 18-25 with gusts to 30! Our clubs race as canceled, but we went out anyway. The race out of Seattle Yachtclub to smith island and the 2 shorter courses did go. Quite the hoot seeing drgonfly zooming by me in the mid teens going upwind, which by the way is a 40' hobie cat for all practical purposes, a -170 or some such phrf rating. We hit 9" on a down wind back with a reef and 110, 6-7 reaching!

marty