Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

KNOT: That is one BIG FREAKIN' STICK! Very nice! What's it off of?

Gulfstar 65'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2010
On My Way Outta Here.....

Irony17 is on a distinguished road
So cheers to me...
Heres my BFS story as a newbie. So I decide to take my morgan 24 out, keep in mind i did say a NEWBIE. lol. I was so excited about all the wind coming in and decided that I wasn't going to sit around. Well I got out there with a piece of crap motor ended up in the tooley(Sp?) weeds . It all happened by putting the anchor out with out it tied down and with the sails still up and the wind coming in at about 10 knots. Sure 10 knots isn't that much but for a NEWBIE and having the sails up and the same time it was a well learned adventure.
Lets just say the day ended by me being towed out of the weeds and back to safe dockage.
Bad idea to go out with two newbies and a big fat crappy motor.
LOL and Im being told to just do it, lol go sailing heck learn from experience. Yup I'm a little scared lol.
Old 05-20-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I had a Morgan 24 up on Lake Erie. One holiday weekend plus a couple of days off, we took her over to Put N Bay. We had been over there many times, but this was the Christmas in July party. We get over there and the weather turns to crap as it usually does there in Ohio. We sit out the storms in the 4 – 5 footers in the bay and then decided that we had to get back to the mainland. We set out with the just main up in 20 -30 knot winds with 6 -8 footers in just 35’ of water. The breakers were rough, and we were fighting the whole way, but man what a hell of time. I just love surfing down the front of the wave holding on to the tiller with my knuckles glowing white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2010

Now that's what I'm talking about, one thing I know is I like heading straight for those waves and making my stomach turn to knots for that adrenaliln rush too
Old 05-20-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irony17 View Post
So cheers to me...
Heres my BFS story as a newbie. So I decide to take my morgan 24 out, keep in mind i did say a NEWBIE. lol. I was so excited about all the wind coming in and decided that I wasn't going to sit around. Well I got out there with a piece of crap motor ended up in the tooley(Sp?) weeds . It all happened by putting the anchor out with out it tied down and with the sails still up and the wind coming in at about 10 knots. Sure 10 knots isn't that much but for a NEWBIE and having the sails up and the same time it was a well learned adventure.
Lets just say the day ended by me being towed out of the weeds and back to safe dockage.
Bad idea to go out with two newbies and a big fat crappy motor.
LOL and Im being told to just do it, lol go sailing heck learn from experience. Yup I'm a little scared lol.

Are you in the San Joaquin Delta area?
Old 05-21-2010

Yes I am. I'm located in Iselton pretty close to Rio Vista (Right in the Delta)
Old 05-21-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
We spell them Tule and pronounce them tooley in the Delta.
Old 05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irony17 View Post
Yes I am. I'm located in Iselton pretty close to Rio Vista (Right in the Delta)

Cool, I spent years in the same area. At least you have plenty of wind.
Old 05-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
You wanna know what BFS is? Right here from Sharps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
To all you guys who have been sailing for years, watch yer back trail...I'm a'gainin' on ye!!! LOL!

Yea, right, in my dreams. However, this week I've had two sails in my Bucc. Both on a little lake here in the Ozarks. I am thrilled at how much I learned so quickly....but isn't that the way it often is, that you learn...maybe experience is a better word.... a lot of things that are really fairly obvious then the learning curve becomes a lot longer.

At any rate, both sails were on bluebird days with light and variable winds...learned that for me light, variable winds coming off these ridges and outta these draws can be a might confusin' even watching the true wind indicator and waves...it moves so often. Also, it seemed to me that I could feel the wind pick up on my face before it actually had an effect on the sails. Is that right or am I just imagining that?

Had the pleasure and rush of gusts that would last for from a few seconds to almost a minute...it is a small lake...and the sails popping full, boat heeling over and the rush of water past the hull then feeling the smile on our faces....then tacking back through my own wake.

We got a rigging problem figured out so nothing is difficult now. And the best part of the first sail was that my oldest son and his wife were home from Omaha and he went with me. It was his first time on a sail boat and my first in 30 Years. He got a big thrill out of it too. He's usually quite reticent but I knew he was enjoying it immensely when a gust popped up, the boat heeled over, took off and he yelled.....he never yells...."YEA DAD!!!!! WE'RE DOIN' IT NOW!!"

I want to thank everyone on this board. I've read so much of it trying to learn as much as I could. The generosity of all you who share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. It certainly made my first two sails a pleasure and as far as I'm concerned a success. Thank you.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-31-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
And another great BFS from ian...

Click the arrow by his name below to check out the actual thread. He got so hooked he just upgraded his ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Hey gang I thought I'd post a successfull weekend on here. I finally got my first boat in October and I cleaned it up, did some interior spiffing and replaced the outboard. I've been getting my sea legs for a few months staying close to the marina always. This weekend I took the boat all the way across Tampa Bay to Apollo Beach, navigated an inlet, docked the boat at the marina, ate a cheeseburger, drank a beer, and made it home right around nightfall. I took sailing lessons last year on a lake and before I got the boat I'd never even been on salt water because I'm from Minnesota. So here's to all the nice people on Sailnet and other places I roamed around who answered a lot of dumb questions.

I also made it to the bar on Friday with the boat so I posted a picture of that too. That was also a first.

I also "touched bottom" for the first time in the inlet to Apollo Beach.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-31-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.