Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap, guero! That sounds like a big freakin' fiasco!

Good job on keeping her off the beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
My first sailboat was a Catalina 25 Wing Keel. That was about 6 months ago. M friend and I, both inexperienced, left the "puerto de abrigo" just before they raised the red flag. We knew a "norte" was coming, but we tought meteo was precise. So anyway we're flying on a reach following the cost when the weather goes bad, we decide to turn around. Surprise, the waves, about 7 foot with the current, were strongers then the engine (Johnson 9.9) at maximum throttle.

Batteries went dead, (old batteries), my friend distracted forgot a line that went into the watter and the prop decided to eat it. So engine dies. At this point, the jib goes in "heave mode" leave a small inverted pocket of air. We're dangerously close to the shore, so I scream to my friend "Throw the anchor!!". He throw the anchor but doesn't realise the line get stock, so now I'm at the back of the boat looking at the beach getting closer, I jump into the water to untangle the prop from the jib sheet, then I see a piece of metal floating at the back of the outboard, first thing I thought, holy **** we broke something... No , that was actually the anchor, the current was so strong that the anchor was floating behind the boat. Anyway, Managed to untangle the prop, get the engine started... At about 1.5 knots beating with both engine and jib, we managed to make it to the port entry, and engine dies... NO MORE FUEL.. We managed to find 2 liters of a portable fuel tank we had and managed to enter the puerto de abrigo just before the wind raised to crazy conditions. Not to mention that this particular Catalina-25 had a Roller Main Sail, so no reaf possible, if you reaf it by rolling, it just create a huge bubble of air healing you 30 degrees and slowing you down.

When we came back, the marine owners were still there, on a monday. And we were all "what the heck?" they said the were worried that we were still out in that big "norte" on the gulf with such a small boat and were not answering VHF clals.

Well, I learned a lot from this experience. Now i know what "newbie" means.

I know own an Aloha 34, a much more forgiving boat on the gulf and Carribean sea than the Catalina 25. But I will never forget my little boat.

We carefully take the boat out on some strong wind days on the gulf in order to learn and stay sharp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Anyway, here we were, last Sunday with Smack, and his 2 boys. It was her 1st time out on the water in ANYTHING let alone the Smacktanic. The winds were perfect, 15-20 with occasional higher gusts. We 1st met Smack with his 2 boys at a burger joint, great place for meet and greet.

After a fine meal we were introduced to the boat. A briefing for the new guys (very professional and I can appreciate that I may add) and we were off with his youngest at the helm.
After clearing the break water and getting out in open water, the perfect conditions were apparent. SD being the considerate guy he is and knowing my lack of experience was hesitant in raising the head sail, I just said to go for it, he did and we took off like a cat with turpentine on it's butt. Somewhere en route SD asked me if I ever followed this thread. I replied in the negative, I had no idea what BFS were. I then proceeded to get educated.

Anyway this went on for almost 4 hour and I loved it. Now she wants a boat. The sailing day was perfect. When we tied the boat back up we were treated to a "Dark and Stormy". I drove back to Ft Worth with a smile on my face and plans to become a boat owner. SD, thank to people like you and your two boys the world is a better place. By the way, if anyone is wondering what SD looks like here he is...
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 06-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Hey zz sorry I missed the race tried to give shout but guess I was a little to late or you crew filled up. Hope we catch up some time on the bay.
No problem, I kinda lost touch with sailnet for a while. Just got the boat back to St. Mary's river on Sunday morning. I'll be looking for crew to get her moved to solomon's island near screwpile if you're looking for a cruise. Turns out I was having trouble finding crew for DTB, and then had too many. And in the end, people backed out, and I had one no show, no call. He's off the crew list needless to say.

I do hope we can meet up at some point with good breeze and cheap beer.
Old 06-14-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'd recognize that face anywhere!
Glad to hear that SD was able to get you guys afloat and that a good time was had by all.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
No problem, I kinda lost touch with sailnet for a while. Just got the boat back to St. Mary's river on Sunday morning. I'll be looking for crew to get her moved to solomon's island near screwpile if you're looking for a cruise. Turns out I was having trouble finding crew for DTB, and then had too many. And in the end, people backed out, and I had one no show, no call. He's off the crew list needless to say.

I do hope we can meet up at some point with good breeze and cheap beer.
Hey ZZ - have you seen the new GR course near Solomons that was set up by KaptainKriz?

He's already run it and blew my leading time for the SC away by 11 minutes!

Here's the thread:

Global Big Freakin' Regatta. Possible?

or check it out here:

BFSGR

You oughtta do a run dude!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-14-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I'd recognize that face anywhere!
Glad to hear that SD was able to get you guys afloat and that a good time was had by all.
It was a really great day. Wish you could have been here too dude!

BTW - do you think the black box makes me look fat?

Old 06-15-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
...Black boxes are soooo the new Black
Sounds like a good day out. Good on ya Smack.

Dude, The Smack-Tanic has a bimini????
If you have a Bimini you don't...........

Old 06-15-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
...Black boxes are soooo the new Black
Sounds like a good day out. Good on ya Smack.

Dude, The Smack-Tanic has a bimini????
If you have a Bimini you don't...........
Heh-heh. Busted!

Yeah it has a bimini AND a frozen margarita machine AND "ground effect" for when I'm crankin' Fitty Cent on the B&O...

Old 06-20-2010
Last Man Standing

Haven't checked into this thread in a while. So who's out pulling down some big sails? Surely there's a newb or two out there crankin' it up a notch! How about a salt crankin' away in a stink?

Who's story is going to push the thread over the 100K mark? We're close!

Old 06-25-2010
Last Man Standing

I think this definitely qualifies as a BFS from a very cool Big Freakin' Lake sailor...eMKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
14kt winds with 15kt gusts, I kid you not, 6pm to 8pm, check the link...

NDBC - Station BUFN6

A perfect southwest wind to try the new main and the 10 year old, in nice shape 110 roller furling jib (no genoa, until today didn't know why he had a 110 made) What we found out was, the new main alone drives the boat very well with less weather helm than before. With both sails out we were just on the edge of being overpowered. Maybe 15% of the boats had both sails out today. So 10-15kts seems to be right, any more and we need either a reef or a couple rolls on the furler, something I completely forgot we could do until we were ready to put it away.

Anyway, in 14kt winds we were at hull speed with a new main and 110 jib, passing genoa or main only boats like they were standing still. We ran down a Newport 30, a Hunter 25.5, and a couple smaller boats with both sails up. The green Morgan 30 "Ranger" passed us easily, as did a Beneteau 31 "Innsfree" both boats we see regularly.

Revival sails closer to the wind than my O'day did, and does so with much less leeway, but still not as close as the better boats. She's pretty stiff but we were regularly heeled over to 25 degrees, most time at 15 or less. She does not track straight at all, lots of weather helm in gusts, I need to get the tuning right or have someone look at it for me.

Best day of sailing I've ever had though. I love the boat, just gotta work out the kinks and finish the deck