Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Last weekend Mrs B and I had the opportunity to sail aboard “Por Favour”, the Hobie 33 that is entered in this year’s Pacific Cup. At only 4,300 pounds total displacement and flying the #2 we were definitely overpowered in our notorious (mid twenties) Bay winds and experienced the classic Smackdaddy BFS. Being so light, the boat labors to windward in heavy Bay chop and winds. We spent most of the time with a rail under, a good portion with the coach windows under and occasionally the cockpit coaming under! The boat is very sensitive to weight trim and going down low, to adjust the genoa, would cause the boat to roll down even further. MrsB swears that the boom touched once! She even went so far to say that she’ll never complain again when Freya goes rail down.

Downwind was another matter altogether. She will surf on anything. Catch a larger Bay wave (chop really) and it is surf city. On JAM only, she easily got to 11 kts. We could even chase down ferry wakes from the wrong side and surf those too. Their best speed so far since they bought the boat 18 months ago was 17.5 kts during the (in)famous 2010 Southern Straits race. They are hoping to break the sound barrier (20 kts) once they get down to the trades on the way to Kanehoe. Por Favour’s crew is coming down this weekend and I’m hoping to do a little kite flying then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010

maarty10 is on a distinguished road
big freaking sails

If you would just use the language as the English had intended it to be used you wouldn't have to explain to "morons" what you're talking about.
Also, I am pretty sure, judging by your stories, that you are going to sink your boat and hopefully not get anyone except yourself killed.
Old 06-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarty10 View Post
If you would just use the language as the English had intended it to be used you wouldn't have to explain to "morons" what you're talking about.
Also, I am pretty sure, judging by your stories, that you are going to sink your boat and hopefully not get anyone except yourself killed.
Heh-heh. That's funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Last weekend Mrs B and I had the opportunity to sail aboard ďPor FavourĒ, the Hobie 33 that is entered in this yearís Pacific Cup. At only 4,300 pounds total displacement and flying the #2 we were definitely overpowered in our notorious (mid twenties) Bay winds and experienced the classic Smackdaddy BFS. Being so light, the boat labors to windward in heavy Bay chop and winds. We spent most of the time with a rail under, a good portion with the coach windows under and occasionally the cockpit coaming under! The boat is very sensitive to weight trim and going down low, to adjust the genoa, would cause the boat to roll down even further. MrsB swears that the boom touched once! She even went so far to say that sheíll never complain again when Freya goes rail down.

Downwind was another matter altogether. She will surf on anything. Catch a larger Bay wave (chop really) and it is surf city. On JAM only, she easily got to 11 kts. We could even chase down ferry wakes from the wrong side and surf those too. Their best speed so far since they bought the boat 18 months ago was 17.5 kts during the (in)famous 2010 Southern Straits race. They are hoping to break the sound barrier (20 kts) once they get down to the trades on the way to Kanehoe. Por Favourís crew is coming down this weekend and Iím hoping to do a little kite flying then.
Holy crap dude! 17.5?!?!?! I've only gone that fast once - on a Corsair tri! That's impressive.

I looked up the boat online. What's the deal with the keel? Is it essentially a cb?

Looks fun.

Old 06-29-2010
Last Man Standing

Well, well...the BFS thread just popped 100K. Looks like there are lots of big sailors out there after all!

Here's to you dudes! Huzzah!

Old 06-30-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Meannie Maarty

Quote:
Maarty,
I'm thinkn his story was pretty understandable. I wonder about your story. I feel your message is kinda negative. I guess that's your point?

Going fast on a Hobie 33 sounds cool. It sounds to me like the guy had a nice ride. I can see the excitement he felt - as someone new to performance (33ULDB) boats. I don't think the guy said that he was racing it to Hawaii?
Anyway, the comment hits me as mean & nasty.
AND - here's some stuff

that picture is of a drop keel H33. No, it's not a CB. The keel moves for trailoring. The bulb keel is not intended to be adjusted at sea.

The Hobie33 is (or was) a ULDB built in the day. Built to surf, plane, reach, and run.
This boat is lite. They do ok upwind - if not overpowered, with rail meat. They will surf.
I'll save talking about boat stats.
Anyone planning to race a H33 to HA must know snit. I won't even try to say more.

Is this going doublehanded? Modified? (WT compartments). Who's racing it? How many?

Safe sailing and enjoy the ride.
Max
PS who's gotta bring her home?
Old 06-30-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Smakiddy -
nice with the forum.
I'll give you the praise that you deserve for this cool forum.
It's cool with me that 1/2 the posts are from you.
I do enjoy checking this thread.
Max
Old 06-30-2010
Last Man Standing

Thanks Maxbo. I think you nailed it above....it's just about the excitement and adventure of sailing. Period. When guys like GeorgeB, who has A LOT of serious experience sailing and racing, can still get crazy stoked from a big sail - THAT'S what it's all about.

As for maarty's comment - it's no skin off my back. I've been dealing with cranky, naysaying dudes now for 2 years. There are a few people out there that just don't get it. And that's cool. Staying at the dock has its upsides I guess. It just ain't for me.

That said, I'll just never understand why these guys feel the need to suck all the life out of sailing. Maybe they need a BFS Boozie.

As for half the posts being from me...most of those are me stealing the best sailing stories I come across from members here. Great sailing stories deserve to be enjoyed - and to never sink beneath the waves. You know, maarty, like my boat, the Smacktanic. Heh-heh.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-30-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Twas a dark and stormy night

T'was a dark and stormy night (OK it wasn't stormy, but it sure as h*** was dark) when we were sailing down the Washington coast about 8 miles out from Gray's Harbor, making about 8 to 8.5 knots with the Genoa and main fully deployed. The First Mate had the helm and the Skipper and crewman were below trying to catch some sleep. The seas were about 2 feet atop a 8 foot swell and all was going well when the First Mate yelled to the top of her lungs for the Skipper to come up to the cockpit NOW! He jumped up and made haste as requested only to have the First Mate point towards a huge power boat (crabber) bearing down on them at an estimated 12 to 15 knots about 100 yards off of the port bow. The boat had just lit off all of its foredeck lights and prior to that was invisible to the First Mate.

The Skipper grabbed the wheel, turned off the autopilot, and spun the wheel to port, back winding the Genoa and gybing the main in less than two seconds. Hearing all the hubbub, the crewman scrambled up on deck also. We all watched in dismay as the crabber passed within a few yards without noticing.

Glad to be alive, we put the boat back on course and continued on our way; none of us sleeping for the rest of the night. Later we all had a list of things we should have done including calling the Coast Guard on the VHF to report the near miss but at the time we just glad to have survived.

Epilog: The First Mate has sworn she will never go off coast at night again.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 06-30-2010

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
I kinda (OK really) thought it was a good story. Maybe cuz I are a "Merican" (I arrived he as fast as I could)
Keep up the great work SD.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.