Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post

Pain, I did that to Jody when he came to sail. While he was in the head, we jumped a freighter wake at 7 knots. I didn't smell anything later nor did he complain.
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't abuse your friends, who CAN you abuse?

Though if he didn't complain, that sounds suspicious. He may have cleaned up with something from your clothes locker as revenge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So that's what happened to his head Charlie? Nice work, dude! I've also noticed you don't get a lot of complaining from unconscious crew.
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Val,

I like those Lavac toilets very much -- but in our prior discussions I neglected to mention this one down-side. On a regular toilet you can pump the handle and keep the bowl dry while going... That's where the scuppers come in, I guess

You can pump a Lavac partly "dry" by leaving the lid up, but it will gradually fill again if the seawater feed is open. So my technique under way (unless it's "scupper weather" or the even worse "bucket conditions") is to pump it down a bit, have my whizz, and then pump it out lid up, then close the lid and give it a rinse down.

Of course, if the bowl is normally full, you could get splashed just opening it, but I suppose you could partially turn off the feed line (if you fully closed it, you'd probably collapse the hose), give it a couple of pumps to reduce the level, and then open it to pump further.

Frankly, much as I love my Lavac, I haven't conducted extensive field tests.
Old 09-29-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Frankly, much as I love my Lavac, I haven't conducted extensive field tests.
PM me if you need a real pro to test the system.
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Valiente, dude, definitely TMI. Surely there's another thread out there for you guys to explore this topic as deeply as you feel the need....hmmm, here, how about "Fun with Tinkle" started by PB a while back.

Now, please, back to sailing.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-29-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
smackdaddy, great thread. I'd rep you, but I don't know how. I posted this in the "learning to sail" section a while ago:

So Monday was a windy day on the Bay of Quinte. 20 knots, gusting to 25 maybe (no significant wave action). We went sailing with our sailing guru, the guy who guides us through our boating experience. Guru was at the helm, and we flew a 180 and full Main. Wow. He put on a clinic. I'm still trying to digest what I saw. So if you're relatively new to this sailing thing and you can find a great sailor to go out with, do it.

It was a great learning experience with an old salt at the helm, pushing the limits of my boat. We had the rail at the water the whole time, and everybody on board was loving it. The thread brought out some interesting points about teaching and sail choice. But I was kinda bummed by a few of the more negative responses. Nice to see there are others out there who like to push the limits.

Good luck on getting the rail in the water.
Shark24 #337
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

Farmboy - welcome! And thanks for the post - that sounds like the perfect BFS in my book. Now it's your turn at the helm, dude!

And please - don't ever rep me! I'm still trying to get back to "0". It's just embarrassing to have any "rep power" whatsoever around here. From what I can see it just means you're old and cranky.

You do bring up the crux of it all...how can ANY sailor out there flame good, hard sailing - EVER? That's been mystifying me since day one on this site. And I've bloodied my knuckles ever since chatting about the philosophy with those nay-sayers. BTW - point them out to me and I'll go give them a pop.

Consider BFS your home away from dipping a rail. Good to have you. Now go throw down something big.
Old 09-29-2008

I got schooled on Monday

Here's the link. I'll let you see for yourself. Most of the replies didn't bother me. I think a lot people missed the point. I think a lot of people made good points that I had never thought of. There was one that got under my skin, though. See what you think.
Shark24 #337
Old 09-29-2008

And no harm meant with the rep comment. I was just impressed with how your original post kept the preaching out of the thread. I've got a couple of more BFS that you'll like, so stay tuned. Outa time tonight.
Shark24 #337
Old 09-29-2008
Last Man Standing

Bring it on porkchop! And BTW - I read your thread and, believe it or not, they were pretty tame. There's just this huge fear of leading newbies down some path of "sailing wickedness". So they chant the "sail flat" mantra. Then, some of those guys just like to hang around the true newbie threads and pimp it - kind of like unemployed 20-year-olds still trying to hit on the high-schoolers. Either way, you just have to beat them into submission. Trust me - I know.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.