Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Smack, while Iím not sure that the H33 is officially classed as an ULDB, it certainly came from the ďfast is funĒ crowd in 1980ís. It is trailered and meant to be dry sailed. The keel is of the dagger board variety and is winched up or down after the boat is launched giving it a draft of 5 Ĺ feet. It has a little (10 HP?) outboard that is removed from itís well and the hole filled in with a plug. This boat was bought specifically with the Pac Cup in mind. It was previously raced on the east coast and has a couple of Bermuda races under itís belt. They will race the Pac Cup with four crew divided into two watches and will hot bunk in two pipe berths. No standing headroom, no sink or flush plumbing. Built for speed, and knowing the crew, will be sailed like it was stolen. The USCG required a float plan and they estimated that their ETA at Kaneohe a half hour earlier than our second place finish in the í08 Pac Cup. There is another H33 doing the race but they will be in the double hand division. Por Favourís main competition will be a pair of Synergy 1000ís and a J120.

During the 2010 Southern Straits, they touched spreaders to water once and John said that the water didnít get close to the companionway. While sailing rail under in the Bay was pretty exciting (and a bit unnerving for Mrs B.) It is way slow and with the short keel, a tremendous amount of leeway. As I said earlier, the boat was designed to go down wind very fast and it labors a bit on the windward legs. When racing seriously, they shift through the gears and are usually the first to reef (it is a frac boat). They sailed to the Southern Straits start line under second reef. They are rigged with a third reef and after that, they have a storm trysail and a storm jib on a inner forestay. I think they are bringing four spinnakers, two headsails and one main besides the storm sails. Because of the short handed crew, they have rigged the boat for double pole gybing which should allow them to race through the squalls without waking the off watch.

Am I supposed to use BBC English now? Do I need to start putting in an extra ďuĒ in my spellings? Well, colour me red! As you might have guessed, English is my second language but I donít find too many people who speak my native Ebonic. Shall we meet half way and communicate in Esperanto in the future?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
A really great sail yesterday afternoon. We were racing the GR course - so I don't have pics, but it was great fun.

The winds were 15-20 with sustained gusts to 25 for about an hour. Lots of white caps, spray over the highside, really great sailing.

We had a lot of canvass up (full sail and 150) so it was a sporty ride, especially with the gusts. We're trying to dial in sail area and trim for the C27 in bigger winds...balancing for speed.

Anyone have any feedback for the C27 specifically? What's the sweet spot in terms of sail configuration for 20 knots?

The genny developed a vertical tear about a foot from the leach just over half-way up (it's an old sail) - but it's repairable.

Good times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-14-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a nice sail Smack with decent wind.
Your 'sweet spot' question is a good one. Have you ever looked at a polar diagram (yes, that is what they are called) for the C27? I'm sure you can find them somewhere on the web as there were so many C27's built. The polar diagrams will basically tell you what your max. expected boat speed will be based on sail plan, and wind strength. Here is one for the C30: http://www.altendorff.co.uk/wp-conte...na30-Polar.png just a bit too small to read.
A lot may depend on the type of keel on your C27 too. IIRC they come in a few flavors like 'shoal draft', full draft and perhaps even wing keel.
The kind of wind you described (15-20 w/gusts to 25) is about borderline time for putting in a reef in the main and/or furling in the jib a little on my Tartan 27' (full keel). The owners manual for my T27 suggests putting in a reef in the main at about 18 knots of wind. IIRC you have hank on jibs so you should experiment with trying a smaller jib and/or reefing the main while watching your GPS for your SOG.
As the angle of heel increases most boats begin to actually lose forward speed and slip to leeward whereas a boat that is sailing flatter may be going faster and straighter. A few boats are designed to have more waterline length as they heel and actually go a bit faster when heeled way over but neither of our boats are built with that design feature.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool - thanks Caleb. I've seen people talking about polars - so it will be good to actually learn a thing or two. My C27 is standard rig with a standard fin keel. So it's all very standard. It's just my sailing that is sub-standard.

Also, agreed on the reef at 25. She definitely needs one at that point. I'll also keep working the head sails like you say to find the right mix.

Damn this is fun!

Old 07-15-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I just got back in from my newest BFS. Baby steps...

I had delayed going out Tuesday due to thunderstorm warnings (going out of the jettis, not out sailing) ... no storms actually came through. Yesterday I was hearing the same garbage of the WX and so, with only a little bit of coaxing, decided to head out past the jettis and risk my first encounter with a storm. Of course ... there was no substantial storm, yet again.

What I did find was consistent 20kt winds and seas 3-4ft with an occassional 6ft breaking wave. At first I was actually steering the boat ... trying steer over the big boys as they came ... then I just locked the steering wheel and let her track a close reach. What an experience ... pounding along into the wind and waves in the dark of night.

I had this bright idea to anchor so that I could get some rest and maybe a bite to eat (I was single handing). I sailed in towards shore and let out 100ft anchor rode in 20ft of water. How ... unpleasant. Every wave was a breaking wave, the door below the sink wouldn't stay shut, the boat was pitching up and down and side to side ... I think I actually managed to sleep for about an hour.

I got up at 4:00a this morning and sailed a broad reach back to the inlet. It was great to see the sunrise but I would've prefered auto-pilot on that point of sail...
Old 07-15-2010
Last Man Standing

Sweet scraph! I've not yet sailed in any significant wind at night - though I can't wait to. Man that sounds fun.

What was your sail configuration?

Old 07-15-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I have a full sloop rig. I was flying a 135 and my standard cruising main. The main was on it's second reef point since I set out anticipating storms. It was over reefed but I kept it in. I had set it up in the harbour and left it in since I wouldn't safely reef again in 3-4' singlehanding. The 135 was out all the way. I didn't get much power from the reefed main in the 20kts but I still had enough sail area for sail balance.

When I locked the steering wheel slightly to leeward and pulled in the main just a touch I was able to maintain 30-35 degrees for hours without touching the wheel once ... and that was pounding into seas about 30 degrees more off the windward bow. I had the jib furled somewhat before but found the boat tracked a straighter line through the seas with the added heel of full jib. When heeled it pointed more hull and less freeboard towards the seas so there was more rise and fall and much less rocking.
Old 07-15-2010

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Smile The BFS to come

Sometimes we just have to dream. I was supposed to have delivery of my new boat in mid-May - perfect for the Northeast season. Well... delays and such, I can now finally expect to get my boat in early August. Finally. My BFS will be sailing it either from Philadelphia or Barnegat Bay to Long Island Sound. May the sailing season begin!
Old 07-15-2010
Last Man Standing

twins - hang in there dude. One BFS coming up. What are you getting?

scraph - that sounds like a magic sail dude. Very nice.

Old 07-16-2010

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Thanks Smack. Getting a Seawind 1000XL - a 35 foot catamaran. Planning to do a lot of local cruising with the family.