Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I believe that is what was called 'crowding on all canvas'. That looks more like a 'cloud' of sails racing across an ocean.
And yes, melted buter.
Real sailors, old school, but true.
There are nearly 9 or 10 sails flying at the same time.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
BFS on Sunday - Chesapeake Bay!

North of Bay Bridge heading from Bodkin Creek to Magothy river.

Here is the wind data from Thomas Point Light house for the time this photo was taken. The last column is in m/s ... roughly speaking 11 m/s = 24 mph. It was dead out of the South.

So, not a HUGE BFS... but a fun one to be singlehanding in. I was feeling a little tired from a bad headcold so that's why I reefed the jib down as well as the main. I was worried that I'd have to tack back and I set my sails before I was out on the bay. Yes. I am a 'Nancy'...

Date Time hdg m/s
2010 08 22 11 40 184 10.8
2010 08 22 11 30 179 10.8
2010 08 22 11 20 179 10.3
2010 08 22 11 10 178 10.3
2010 08 22 11 00 178 10.8
2010 08 22 10 50 176 11.8
2010 08 22 10 40 175 11.3
2010 08 22 10 30 176 11.3
2010 08 22 10 20 175 10.8
2010 08 22 10 10 174 10.8
2010 08 22 10 00 174 10.8
2010 08 22 09 50 173 11.3
2010 08 22 09 40 172 10.8
2010 08 22 09 30 168 10.8
2010 08 22 09 20 169 9.8

...and a pic:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
Old 08-23-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - that is freakin' BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!! Fine job Mr. Too.

Pardon me a moment...I'm getting a little weepy.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-23-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Yes, Mr. Nancy, the Bay does get a little boisterous with that much wind on it. I'd also have reefed a bit as you did. You can call me Nancy whenever you like as bouncy makes me antsy. The weather looks a little verklempt too.

Nice pic though.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-23-2010

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
This is less a BFS, than one of those "stuff happens" stories. I would be interested in constructive advice on things I might have done differently (and I'm man enough to even take any snide remarks that someone feels compelled to give). I was sailing our 35 ft catamaran from Branford, CT to Old Greenwich, CT. My crew was my wife and 9 year old twin daughters. For the record, I am the only one with sailing experience.

We left Sunday morning with about 10kt winds off the port stern quarter. I decided to motor as we wanted to get back (this was the end of a 5 day trip). Over time, the winds picked up so I raised the main and the small jib. I knew that there was a forecast of thundershowers so I deliberately kept the sail plan on the smaller side. Apparent winds kept rising, eventually getting to the 15-18kts area. I have to say the cat really purrs in those conditions as we were cruising at 7-8.5kts - and my wife and kids were playing games on the settee table (which is same level as cockpit).

Anyway, as we approached Noroton (just before Stamford for those of you from other parts), I heard something, looked back and saw that the stern of the dinghy was off the davit and bouncing in the water. To make matters worse, the dinghy had flipped and was dragging in the water. My first reaction was to drop the mainsail (thank god for lazy jacks), then roll in the jib, and turn the engines on. Because of the high winds I was very lucky that we were far enough from any hazards that we could focus on the dinghy. The bad news was the water was too deep (80 ft or so) to contemplate anchoring.

I lowered the bow davit (starboard side) so as not to have too much pressure and break it and then detached the stern line (which I use to keep the boat from bouncing around while on the davit). My wife and I got on the starboard swim platform. We tried to flip it back over but couldn't, so we pulled the dinghy as far up the swim platform as we could and secured it with a couple of lines.

From there, we motored at medium speed back to our mooring (about 2 hrs) so as not to aggravate the dinghy situation. I might of motored slower, but the clouds were becoming ominous and the Coast Guard was issuing advisories on channel 16 about pockets of very rough squalls. Upon getting to the mooring, I went in the water and unclipped the port davit line (which was attached- but a shackle had broken off so it was off the davit arm). I got back on the boat and reconfigured the starboard davit line so we could pull the dinghy up and flip her back over. I then secured it back on the boat. Unfortunately, my wife gave me as much help as she could but she had a bad knee and bruised a rib while trying to help with the davit lines.

Anyway, other than my wife's bruised rib, no injuries so all is OK. I'm not so sure about the dinghy engine. It was dragged through salt water for a couple of hours, lost its top, and has been exposed to the rain since then. I am assuming it is a goner, is that correct? I would be real interested to hear how others would have handled the situation and what you think I should have done differently. I made a judgement call that we did not need to call for help, do you folks think that was appropriate or a mistake? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old 08-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I tried to get out yesterday for the Sail with Courtney - but there was absolutely no wind. Sailflow promised some sweet stuff today and it was spot on. Steady 15 with many gusts to 25. I took a newbie and his wife out for their second sail ever - and we had a freakin' blast. I also had a first today - which was putting in a single reef while under sail (I've always started the motor when it started getting stinky to play it safe). It was easy! Very cool.

The best part of the day though was flying the "SWC" flag - and the pretty amazing surprises that came with it. See for yourself...

How about that rainbow. Thanks for the BFS Courtney.

Old 09-01-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsdad View Post
I'm not so sure about the dinghy engine. It was dragged through salt water for a couple of hours, lost its top, and has been exposed to the rain since then. I am assuming it is a goner, is that correct? I would be real interested to hear how others would have handled the situation and what you think I should have done differently. I made a judgement call that we did not need to call for help, do you folks think that was appropriate or a mistake? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
Twins - I can't see any big "mistakes" in your story. I think you were right not to call for help on this one. You got everything and everyone back in one piece - a wet piece - but one piece nonetheless. How did the dinghy part with the davit? Something break?

I don't know about the motor. Did you get feedback on that? I'd be interested to know if it was salvageable.

Old 09-01-2010
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Sweet Post Smackles! Nice shots of the SWC BFS.

I love
Old 09-01-2010
Last Man Standing

Thanks dude. Man that rainbow was VERY cool - as were the beams as the sun was going down. Pretty magical.

Old 09-01-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Smack, all i can say is thank you!

Michael and Carrie and I sailed across lake Mich and back with Tim. Courtney just for the fun of it, threw some snot at us also.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 09-01-2010 at 08:03 PM.