Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Always a bit disconcerting when crossing the reef at Half Moon Bay and you look to the north and see a surfer at Mavericks riding the same wave youíre coming in on. Cowabunga dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That whole bar crossing thing is insane. It gives me indigestion just thinking about it.

I get all nervous when my ob dies in the fairway. Sounds like I might need to HTHU!

Smacky,
Its part of cruising. SOmething you can learn - reading the surf as a board rider goes a long way towards this. There are courses on the Gold Coast for people to learn how to cross the seaway, which you saw in a less than ideal way. The crossings can be glass calm. Go over at dead high tide = fat swells, plenty of water. Dont think about it as the tide ebbs (as cat sailor did) or wind against tide. When in doubt - dont cross. He could wait until dead high tide or dead low, (there is enough water to cross at low water). Alternatively, he could sail on to Mooloolaba (where I had some fun getting into a few weeks ago)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Always a bit disconcerting when crossing the reef at Half Moon Bay and you look to the north and see a surfer at Mavericks riding the same wave youíre coming in on. Cowabunga dude!
Hey George, I hear you ride a 34' malibu (with a catalina sticker on it)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Dude 1: Smoke this.... yeah.. I'm gonna go stand at the mast.

Dude 2: Think we should take the Bimini down?

Dude 1: Nah, you might get a sunburn.
Dude 2: Should we wait until Dude 3 is off the crapper?

Dude 1: Whose week is it to clean the head?

Dude 2: Mine.

Dude 1: Then nah.
Old 09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Dude 2: Should we wait until Dude 3 is off the crapper?

Dude 1: Whose week is it to clean the head?

Dude 2: Mine.

Dude 1: Then nah.
I think this is the most intelligent thing you have said. [insert pre-requisite smiley ]

Old 09-15-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Thanks Smack

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
And this just looks freakin' fun!!!

Thanks Smackdaddy for the vids. The Hobie guys are cool.
The Cruisers are great examples of guys making bad decisions and getting away with it.
Lucky. Not smart.
Safe sailing.
Max
Old 09-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay, so I'm reading the book: "Adrift" by Steven Callahan, who spent 76 days lost at sea in a six-man life raft with very, very little in the way of provisions.

I'm at the point in the book where he's 23 days in. And I come across this...

Quote:
In fact, I sometimes wonder if one of the major reasons for ocean racing and voyaging is to push one's self and one's boat just past the edge, watch things fail, and then somehow come up with a solution. In many ways, having a jury rig succeed is often more gratifying than making a pleasant and uneventful passage or even winning a race. Rising to the challenge is a common thread that runs through a vast wardrobe of sea stories.
This from a guy who spends 2-1/2 months in a tiny rubber raft with nothing but a solar still and a spear gun...the latter of which just broke leading to the above passage.

Interesting perspective.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-16-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxboatspeed View Post
Thanks Smackdaddy for the vids. The Hobie guys are cool.
The Cruisers are great examples of guys making bad decisions and getting away with it.
Lucky. Not smart.
Safe sailing.
Max
No worries Max. Yeah, definitely decisions I'd hope not to make.

But, I do find that video of the mono at Point Panic very interesting when considering heavy weather tactics. That's, what, a 12'-15' HEAVILY breaking wave. Taking it bow on, they look to be in fairly good shape.

What would happen if that were to hit them astern? Just more stuff to ponder on the whole drogue vs. para-anchor debate.

Regardless, that's one tough boat.

Old 09-17-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Smackdidly,

Ya, the mono is doin fine. I don't know the "bar" or what his deal was. Probably those 2 breakers were the worst of his outbound crossing.
I wanted to make the point that bar crossings (some places) have... Uh.. considerations. It looked to me like maybe the guy got where he wasn't comfortable? It looks like a snitty time to be outbound?
The multi guy crossed knowing it was snitty and disregarded warnings - to keep his schedule? He made it, and may even be as badarse as he thinks he is. I don't know.
Both cool vids. Thanks

Check out Steve Calahan's designs, after you read the book. Interesting guy.
I can't come up with any BFS lately. Sorry. Ok, maybe I'm not sorry.
Max
Old 09-19-2010
Last Man Standing

Okay - it's been a while since I've rated..but today, I think I rated.

I mean, what would you call........SAILING THROUGH A FREAKIN' TORNADO!?!?!?

Heh-heh. It was pretty insane...but really fun...in a sick kind of way. Our OB has been really squirelly since we took it in for service a couple of weeks ago. That, plus the fact that we were pretty low on gas had me a little nervous as we left the marina in a light rain. But, I figured...what's the worst that can happen? We just sail back into the slip, right?

So we're out in extremely lame winds...drifting around...watching this dude in a Pearson 27 practicing a spin set (horribly I might add). He's sailing sideways - and I'm impressed that a Pearson can do that. Suddenly the wind starts piping up, just after he socks his kite and starts motoring. We start cranking northward at 6 knots or so under a full main and 150. There's a race going on in the gulley and we stay upwind of the committee boat enjoying the speed.

Suddenly, a friend says, "Holy crap, look at that!" I turn around and see this:

No way. That's just a tail dropping. Then a cloud starts coming from the ground to meet that tail. Texas Tornado, baby. 3 miles and closing.

Then, lots more start to form along that line...

That wall of pain is heading straight for us.

We immediately get everyone into PFDs, drop all sail, start the motor and head for a channel that will give us some shelter from the blast. There's very little time.

Within 2 minutes, it's on us...

We move back and forth behind this cliff as the main lake channel blows up with crazy white caps and big winds. The OB starts dying, and I have to milk the choke to keep it running. If it dies now, we are completely screwed. I check the gas and we're low. Crap.

I tell my friend to be ready to go forward and drop the anchor if we lose the motor. It's now directly over us. The wind is howling...

Of course, I'm as cool as a cucumber in my sweet BFS gimme...(heh-heh).

Here, let me give you a closer look...OH YEAH BABY!!!!

And my kids are cowering in the v-berth...

It howls on past...looking absolutely Biblical...

About this point we head back out onto the lake and start back to the marina since we're dangerously low on gas. We have to keep the motor cranked to fight through the wind and waves. We're actually getting spray over the bow (I love when that happens).

We clear Windy Point and throw up a reefed main and kill the motor to conserve the last few ounces of gas. The wind is still blowing stink but it's starting to die down a bit.

We sail all the way back to the marina inlet...and then things get testy....

We're tacking back and forth right at the mouth of the marina, trying to get past the break water without using the motor. We tack to starboard and I look over and see a 45' double-decker party barge coming at us about 200 yards away doing 15 knots or so. He's trying to cut between us and the marina (a space of no more than 200'). What THE hell?

I stand up in the cockpit and wave him off - using my hands to tell him we're headed into the marina. He doesn't change course. There's a dude on the lower deck, but I can't see anyone else on the boat. The dude runs up the stairs. They are now about 75 yards away - on a collision course. There is literally nothing we can do at this point.

Finally, I see someone at the upper deck take the wheel and bear off to port. I start politely screaming at him to read the freakin' Rules of the Road. Why? Because he's screaming at me as he goes by that it was my fault for "turning right in front of him".

I point out the fact that he's a raging bonehead and that vessels under sail have the right of way. He returns fire saying that it's the "larger boat that has the right of way". He flips me the bird. I work very, very hard to restrain myself because my kids are listening now. But I'm seriously pissed...you know, kind of like CP-And-Tartan-Pissed.

We make it back to the slip without further incident and I have a nice tall rum beverage. I'm better now.

You sail through a tornado and get run down by a freakin' party barge? Where's the justice in that?

Stinkpotters are freakin' Neanderthals. Here is the driver of that party barge...

Nuff said.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-19-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.