Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. It's Texas, dude - there's always a possibility of severe weather!

30% chance of rain/t-storms, wind projected at 10-15. Nothing severe. But, this was the edge of one the tropical storms so you never know.

It was good practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It was definitely a tornado - although it was very brief and not well-formed just prior to coming over the lake. The giveaway was the dust/debris cloud coming up from the ground to meet the descending funnel. That pic was taken right as that was happening. I then realized we needed to do something quick.

Hey! What did I miss? Who was the jealous schmo hatin' on me?
Well mate, I've had waterspouts a number of times, but never a dinky-die tornado. Thats a lot of wind buddy.

As for the hate stuff - its a general dislike of all inconsiderate b*&^^%^ who drive things that make a lot of wash and who believe they own the channel, every channel. [No-one hates you big smacker]

Old 09-20-2010

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Smack, I think the answer really depends on the conditions and your kids. If the conditions are really awful, then I agree with the others (and you) to keep them below. If they are tolerable, it is a good lesson for them to learn what you do, and how you react, during adverse conditions. Besides, they are less likely to get seasick up above. Naturally, if they are going to be above they should have PFD's and harnesses on.
Old 09-20-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
OK Smacky, It's been a while and you know how I feel about this thread, we have talked about it in the past, but I will share you with you just the same.
No big deal, it's what we do, we sail and in sailing the BFS finds you.

Julie and I had a nice 10 day cruise to Door County Wisconsin last week. We had to wash out two days because of weather so we ended up sailing 430 miles in 8 days. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and we had a great time spending most of our time at anchor in remote areas.

Door County is the finger shaped peninsula that divides Lake Michigan from Green Bay. The area is littered with islands at every turn and shoals that are made up of rocks the size of small cars. The sailing in gentle conditions is a challenge. Large limestone bluffs hundreds of feet high are around every corner. At the base of these cliffs, water depths change quickly from over 150 feet to 30 feet to 10 feet in a manner of seconds, and believe me, you do not want to hit what lies just beneath the surface. The entire area is glacial deposits of rock.

At the very tip of the peninsula are more islands, some large, some small. Between the main land peninsula and the islands are several passages. One of the island passages was named by the early French explorers of the region; "Porte de Mort", or "Gate of Death" or "Door of Death." Better known today by most Lake Michigan sailors and modernized to "Death's Door Passage".

Chart 14909

After our time was spent in Door County it was our goal to exit out Death's Door. The day came and of course we had 20 + knot head winds. We tacked out the skinny shoal laden island strewn pass and as luck would have it, I good friend (sailchick) just happened to be taking a ferry out. Sailchick was able to get some photos of us tacking out in blustery conditions.

The BFS happened more when we finally got into open water, still in 20+ knots of SE wind, or destination lied 160 miles straight up wind and the seas had about 200 miles of fetch to build. We were in 6 - 8 foot sloppy Great Lakes/Lake Michigan chop for about 10 hours. I sought protection from the Michigan shoreline and an area of Islands called the Manitous off of the Leeland Peninsula some 60 miles away.

The best part of the trip? My wife Julie. She never complained, just did everything you could ask a first mate to do.
BFS? 10 hours in 6 - 8 foot sloppy Great Lakes chop.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-20-2010
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Let the kids on deck if they want to as long as they can keep out of the way - or help. Puke is easier to clean off decks than from the cabin. Just do life jackets and harnesses. Harnesses are manditory on our boat: after dark; in big blows; outside of the cockpit in anything rough. Photos look like a standard cold front squall line with a few goddies extra. Usually evaporates into a nice sunset. I watched a nice roll cloud attack the marina a few weeks ago. Nothing but nice after it passed. Sometimes on the water our vista is way greater than on land. Just be prepared.

Speaking of big sails, I just discovered the sail I thought was a standard kite turned out to be a monster asymetrical; about a 200 % Geny. (Mast 80, foot about 40). First time out of the bag after four years of restoration and learn as you go. We've been running a fun combo of two jibs, main, mizzen, mizzen staysail. It gives about 9.5 with 12 on the beam. I'm sure the kite will throw us over 10.
Old 09-20-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
TJ - that, my friend, is absolute beauty! Very, very nice.

And the especially cool thing is the pics of your boat from someone else! How many times does that happen? Sailchick rocks!

Now as for this "BFS finds you" crap...dude, you were taking on FREAKING DEATH'S DOOR PASSAGE IN 20+!!!! Hellloooooo. Had it been "Bunny Tub Channel" I'd give you a pass. But c'mon!

I knew you were a closet BFSer. You are the man.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLSON58 View Post
Let the kids on deck if they want to as long as they can keep out of the way - or help. Puke is easier to clean off decks than from the cabin. Just do life jackets and harnesses. Harnesses are manditory on our boat: after dark; in big blows; outside of the cockpit in anything rough. Photos look like a standard cold front squall line with a few goddies extra. Usually evaporates into a nice sunset. I watched a nice roll cloud attack the marina a few weeks ago. Nothing but nice after it passed. Sometimes on the water our vista is way greater than on land. Just be prepared.

Speaking of big sails, I just discovered the sail I thought was a standard kite turned out to be a monster asymetrical; about a 200 % Geny. (Mast 80, foot about 40). First time out of the bag after four years of restoration and learn as you go. We've been running a fun combo of two jibs, main, mizzen, mizzen staysail. It gives about 9.5 with 12 on the beam. I'm sure the kite will throw us over 10.
Thanks for the feedback Nic. They wanted to be on the deck - so it was me that was nervous, not them.

As for that BFSpinnaker - we want pics dude!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Hmmm - "right of way"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay

We sail all the way back to the marina inlet...and then things get testy....

We're tacking back and forth right at the mouth of the marina, trying to get past the break water without using the motor. We tack to starboard and I look over and see a 45' double-decker party barge coming at us about 200 yards away doing 15 knots or so. He's trying to cut between us and the marina (a space of no more than 200'). What THE hell?

I stand up in the cockpit and wave him off - using my hands to tell him we're headed into the marina. He doesn't change course. There's a dude on the lower deck, but I can't see anyone else on the boat. The dude runs up the stairs. They are now about 75 yards away - on a collision course. There is
literally nothing we can do at this point

Finally, I see someone at the upper deck take the wheel and bear off to port. I start politely screaming at him to read the freakin' Rules of the Road. Why? Because he's screaming at me as he goes by that it was my fault for "turning right in front of him".

I point out the fact that he's a raging bonehead and that vessels under sail
have the right of way. He returns fire saying that it's the "larger boat that has the right of way". He flips me the bird. I work very, very hard to restrain myself because my kids are listening now. But I'm seriously pissed...you know, kind of like CP-And-Tartan-Pissed.

We make it back to the slip without further incident and I have a nice tall rum beverage. I'm better now.

You sail through a tornado and get run down by a freakin' party barge?
Where's the justice in that?

Stinkpotters are freakin' Neanderthals. Here is the driver of that party barge..

Nuff said.
Smackdaddy,

sounds exciting. I don't know about Texas Tornados. PFDs - good. I'd think your kids know enough to keep safe. My thought is that they can decide where to be? Avoiding panic is important. It's clear you get that.
Thanks for sharing your stories.
The reason for my reply is this:

There is a common misconception that "sailboats have the right of way."
Yes, all boaters should read the "Rules of the Road" (Navigation rules).
No where in these rules is the phrase "right of way."
"Stand-on vessel" and "Give-way vessel" (rules 16,17) are terms used.
It's important to know the meaning.
Rule 2b comes to mind
Rule 9b probably did not apply, but might be what the dumbarse was talking about.

Rule 18a does not mean that sailboats have a "right of way."

I don't really know exactly what the deal was with this "party barge" and it's likely he is a bone head (after all, it's Texas). I do know that niether one of you had the "right of way."
it ain't that simple.

Yep - reading the "rules of the road" is a good idea.
Safe sailing
Max
Old 09-21-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post

The BFS happened more when we finally got into open water, still in 20+ knots of SE wind, or destination lied 160 miles straight up wind and the seas had about 200 miles of fetch to build. We were in 6 - 8 foot sloppy Great Lakes/Lake Michigan chop for about 10 hours. I sought protection from the Michigan shoreline and an area of Islands called the Manitous off of the Leeland Peninsula some 60 miles away.
May I ask what your rationale was for not reefing the main? Just curious.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-21-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
May I ask what your rationale was for not reefing the main? Just curious.
He's a FightClub sailor, dude!