SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Big Freakin' Sails

593K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Okay - this thread is for people that ACTUALLY LIKE Big Freakin' Sails (note for morons: the verb, not the noun). BFS simply means sailing that pushes limits - whatever those limits may be. And herein lies the rub...and the reason I need to explain a couple of things so people don't start foaming at the mouth right off the bat.

There has been a tremendous amount of hubbub over this "philosophy" in another thread - but that thread apparently "came with a lot of baggage" - to the point that the topic itself got lost in the fog of war. So, this is an attempt to start cleanly.

It must be understood that the love for the adventure and excitement of hard sailing is just as valid and robust in the newbie as it is in the big-sailing old salt. The gap between the two is experience and knowledge. And the goal here is not to fill that gap by quashing the spirit of adventure and excitement with a deluge of cynicism and technicality - but to help us all learn, if and when the time comes, how to better handle that moment when mother nature starts rising beyond our sailing abilities. Because if you keep sailing - it will happen, period. And as you'll see, it can get very frightening very quickly.

For an old salt, these limits will obviously be worlds beyond those of the typical newbie. That old salt will probably snicker at the point at which the newbie becomes terrified - understandably so. Yet, there will inevitably be an even more seasoned salt that will, in turn, snicker at the snickerer when he/she soils his/her own breeches in a blow. It's all subjective and un-ownable.

Therefore, the BFS factor of a newbie experiencing a hard heel and wayward helm for the very first time is just as exciting, important, and valuable (in BFS terms) as the old salt battling a 50 knot gale. It's just about the attitude with which the exploit is approached and remembered - and taken into account as they go back out for more. There are great stories and valuable lessons in both experiences - as well as great opportunities for good hearted slams on the brave posters (which is valuable as well). That's BFS.

So, to be clear this thread is JUST AS MUCH FOR THE SAILING NEWBIE (of which I am one) as it is for the old salt. It's a place to tell your story, listen to others', learn some lessons, and discuss the merits or detractions of Big Freakin' Sails.

The following inaugural BFS stories illustrate what this thread is all about. As I said, I'm a newbie - and you see my first BFS story below. You can then compare that with the other great BFS stories thereafter (sometimes edited to protect the innocent) which I think are great tales from great sailors; they cover the spectrum of "pushing the limits". Then, hopefully, you'll throw down some BFS of your own (either your own story, stories you admire, or stories that are just flat-out lies but with great BFS value - whatever).

Now, let's have some fun...shall we?

See less See more
#676 ·
Very cool pics bluto. Looks like a big day out there, dude. It always does my heart good to see so much canvass up in 30+.

I have to say my favorite boat is "Bob". Looks like a lousy fighter after a hard 5 rounds. Dirty sails, etc. Very cool. Or were those Somali pirates chasing you guys around?

Also "Carol Jean" - was she knocked down? Or just sliding into home like Giu got his boat to do in that killer photo of his?

Great stuff.

#677 ·
Not sure if Bob's sails are dirty, or if the jib looks like a North kevlar and possibly a carbon main. Then again whom knows. You did the the tear, or should that be the 2' or so of main sail missing on White Cloud? Also Dejodenda's Kyrie is in there.

I do not think Carol Jean was knocked down at that time. I did not hear about Mel getting knocked down. I do know his engine would not start, and had to sail out in front of the marina until a tow could get him in. Euphoria's outboard quit just about 100 yd if that before her slip, I towed her to with in 2-3' of rope being handed off to folks on a dock, and a wind pushed her and almost myself into the rock breakwater. Finally got the marina to bring a power boat over to pull Euphoria off the break water. That was the worst part of the day for me, almost but not quite!

My wife whom was on committee boat where those pics were taken from, did say a couple of the bigger boats either got knocked down, or were heeled over so far when close together at the finish that some rigging got caught. Lady Bug rounded up at a far corner and hit another boat. She came in with damage to the bow. Fun day needless to say..........

I am pretty sure this set was posted too, but maybe not on this thread. damage pics

#678 ·
Okay - after careful analysis of BFS (clicked through a couple of pages as I was taking my last swig of leftover warm beer this morning) - I have broken down the global BFS scoring data as follows (scale of 1-10):

Westies - 8.83
Easties - 8.12
Gulfies - 2.88
Supernorthies - 7.15
Supersouthies - 5.67
Eurpies - 4.19
Others - 0.46

So it appears at this point in time that the Westies are rockin' the house with BFS. There have been a few good showings from the other groups (shout outs to Dell of the "Easties" and Farmboy of the "Supernorthies") - but all in all, the 2008 BFS Cup is looking like a lock.

Who's the spokesman for the Westies so I'll know where to ship the cup in January?

#680 ·
Giu, no kidding. You're carrying the weight of the entire continent AND sub-continent on your shoulders dude. You're like Sarkozy or something!

I mean, your sails are big, no doubt, but your continent's bigger. You did get some serious early help from DuckDuckGoose in Ireland. But I think she got tired of all the whining and moaning around here and hit the road. And don't forget the point or two from that Turkish guy, BodrumFSail.

So, the Eurpies did pull down a respectable score, but alas, we don't grade on the Bell Curve here. Highest score takes the cup.

Anyway, don't fret, I totally feel your pain. Just look at us Gulfies. We're pathetic. I think it's only me, PB and CD. I gotta do something about that. I can't keep carrying these guys.

#681 ·
The problem daddy, is CD only uses his boat at the dock barbecuing! So you're handicapped right there. So what can I say.

I was thinking CC as he is out the most, but ABJ did get two knockdowns at FWB. On the other hand, I got a 3rd in that race, no knockdowns, but the rail was in the water on the upwind leg more than I would have liked........

Anyway, would be at work today, but installing a roof top patio in 20-30 MPH winds, rain going sideways......better day to sail than install 18x18 concrete pavings stones on pedastools.

Oh well, always bookwork to do when one owns the business on days like this!

marty

#682 ·
Yeah, I like the idea of CC too. He's solid. And the cup will be something for him to admire while he's taking breaks from gluing "Oh Joy" back together. Also he DOES have the most whacked photo thus far with that fender fly. 'Nuff said.

Your humility is admirable Bluto, but personally I'd have to put you in over ABJ. The point is to ideally push it TO the limit (rail buried) - not past (spreader buried). And anyway, he got a spanking for the whole tether thing. Maybe next year.

As soon as I get the cup in, I'll post the photo.

Keep it up you crazy Westies! And just remember that the scores can change at any moment!

PS - CD work with me here, dude! We've only got one more month to best these chumps! Go sailing for crying out loud!

#683 ·
Another SN'r out on the FWB day was David, ie dejodenda. He was sailing with just him and 14 yr old daughter, did pretty well too as I recall.

Someone else was out up north daysailing for the 2nd or 1st time out in just launched boat.......

anyway, at lest it was not a friggen huricane, learned a few things, next year will get the SJ setup to work, that would have helped bunch over the 110 and double reef, or take down the main next time. have sailed that way with twin sons in similar conditions, along with just a single reefed main.

anyway, back to attempting to balance biz checkbook!

Marty

#684 ·
Someone else was out up north daysailing for the 2nd or 1st time out in just launched boat.......
That was Stillraining. I'm quite familiar with the waters and conditions he was sailing in and his description was dead on.

#686 ·
Ray,

Thanks for the reminder as to whom........

Not sure about that trophy dad, looks to........."ordinary!" you know, if we are going to have a trophy for a BFS sail, it needs to be extraordinary!

Not that my vote counts.............so take it for what you have now just paid for, ie NOTHING! HEE HEE

marty

#687 ·
C'mon dude, just imagine slamming back a Dark and Stormy outta this thing. It's simple, clean, and mean.

However, I'm definitely open to other ideas. As long as Sailaway doesn't fru-fru it up too much.

And anyway - this one was already taken:

#688 ·
you mean we can not steal that one!?!?!?!?! dang it.

Ok, so how abouts an equal similar look! Not that I will win it or anything, but need something out of the ordinary for this award. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled checkbook balancing act! Can't do an ignore, as this is NOT and ignore thread..............

#690 · (Edited)
Here I sit looking at white horse and striations of foam on the lake out front with it blowing 30+ and me with my boat on the hard. It SUCKS! It'd be FAST out there today for sure.... While that photo was cool, the trip with Fredia on our May cruise and that beam reach across the strait in a clear air Gale was much wilder. Sorry, no pics. The camera was inside and Fredia was too scared to go get it, that and she was getting Mal de Mar when all the way in the cabin. It was nuts! Surfing along the faces of waves on the beam with the Staysail and full Main up in 40 knots of breeze against a 3 knot ebb. We saw 11.8 along one nasty wave and made the trip from San Juan Island to Port Townsend in four hours. Over my shoulder to Starboard and it's all green with froth (on the high side), back to Port and it's a gaping hole. No breaks from the helm cause Fredia couldn't handle it and was too afraid to come off the ladder and out there with me. Damndest sail I ever had and it beat the delivery sail by a mile for adrenaline shots per minute. I kept expecting Oh Joy to trip over her keel at those speeds but she just sliced on through. It was the only time I hollered at Davey Jones since I started sailing.

Yep, bloein' out there:

Weather Conditions for:
Smith Island, WA (SISW1)
Elev: 50 ft; Latitude: 48.32000; Longitude: -122.84000

Current time: Thu, 20 Nov 13:43 pm (PST)
Most Recent Observation: Thu, 20 Nov 1:00 pm (PST)
Time Temp. Wind Wind Sea Level
Direction Speed Pressure
(PST) (f) (mph) (mb)
20 Nov 1:00 pm 49 SSE 31G36 1011.4
20 Nov 12:00 pm 49 S 32G38 1011.5
20 Nov 11:00 am 49 SSE 45G52 1009.5
20 Nov 10:00 am 51 SSE 46G52 1008.0
20 Nov 9:00 am 51 SSE 26G29 1007.9
20 Nov 8:00 am 51 ESE 24G26 1006.1
20 Nov 7:00 am 53 SE 24G26 1007.4
20 Nov 6:00 am 52 SE 23 1008.4
20 Nov 5:00 am 51 ESE 15G17 1009.6

#695 ·
Hell, if anyone deserves the cup, it's Fredia, my wife, who despite being afraid of big water, held it together on that sail and still had the courage to go forward in that stuff to yank down the Staysail once we got to PT, in the dark! That and she sailed home with me two days later and did radio duty while we joined an SAR for a missing 18 y/o Female diver. Fredia doesn't do radio... Unfortunately, the diver was never found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.