Big Freakin' Sails - Page 200 - SailNet Community
 407Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1991 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 234
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Yep. And it's not just powerboats. I had to tack to avoid a same tack, windward sailboat on Labor Day on Lewisville Lake.

The more polite boaters around here tend to give way even when stand-on. That's nice of them, but they don't realize the stand on boat has a responsibility to behave predictably. And the rude boaters just assume everyone else will give way. The local authorities pretty much ignore it unless a collision occurs.

s/v Dancing Days
Beneteau 31
Lewisville Lake, TX
bacampbe is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1992 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
dhays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: University Place, WA
Posts: 662
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Do yourself a favor and automatically assume every other boater's a total moron unless proven otherwise while you're on the water.
Good advice as I demonstrate the validity of this premise on a disappointingly regular basis.

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1993 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
GeorgeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alameda, San Francisco Bay
Posts: 1,843
Thanks: 1
Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Yeah, stinkpotters are the worst. Out here, the bigger they are, the more arrogant they get. This is a picture of the channel to my marina in Alameda with a pair of them thinking they “own” the whole channel (and I'm not talking about the "little" guys in the foreground either

>[/font]
GeorgeB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1994 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Capt Smack

SmackD,

I can't rip ya a new one. In fact, I think you're cool.
Your story has snit loads of BFS - to me. Thanks.
I read your story and it sparked interest. I thought your comment, about right of way, was .....something worth talking about.
It's killin me to tell you this:
I think you contribute huge value to this thing (blog, thread, ?). Your comment about getting into a situation (or whatever you want to call it) because other stuff was going on - is, uh, well, a thing. 1+ .
My point was this: the idea that sailboats always have a "right of way" over power vessels is.....well, it ain't that simple.
I appreciate your consideration, and knowledge, of the rules.
I guess I gotta reply and keep this going? I'm not sayin you did any wrong. I'm not trying to argue the exact situation. I am trying to let guys know (those that care) that there are a bunch of rules and it's not just "I have right of way 'cause I'm sailing."

I'm thinking your sayin rule 5 might be a thing (both boats)?
You didn't quote rule 17a,b. You did mention altering course (tacking), and then being concerned about a collision with the other guy?
Again, since you're into it, "right of way" has a specific meaning. The phrase is not used in any of the relevant rules. If you're gonna quote a bunch of stuff, please include the stuff that actually matters.
Basically (and informal)
I guess you get that "right of way" is not the same as "stand-on"?
Sailboaters are way smarter than stinkboaters. We all know that.

By the way, most of your babble is good. Some of it ("right of way" , what that means, where it applies) is, uhm, not that cool.
You mentioned rules that do not apply. Tell us all the rules that include "right of way" (rivers, downbound). The annex thing is ridiculous - read it.
Help me out here. I respect your knowledge, learning, sharing, teaching, etc.
Wanna start a rules forum? A start could be about the specific meaning of terms/phrases. Does anyone care?
Safe sailing,
Max
Maxboatspeed is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1995 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,578
Thanks: 153
Thanked 149 Times in 142 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxboatspeed View Post
SmackD,

I can't rip ya a new one. In fact, I think you're cool.
Your story has snit loads of BFS - to me. Thanks.
I read your story and it sparked interest. I thought your comment, about right of way, was .....something worth talking about.
It's killin me to tell you this:
I think you contribute huge value to this thing (blog, thread, ?). Your comment about getting into a situation (or whatever you want to call it) because other stuff was going on - is, uh, well, a thing. 1+ .
My point was this: the idea that sailboats always have a "right of way" over power vessels is.....well, it ain't that simple.
I appreciate your consideration, and knowledge, of the rules.
I guess I gotta reply and keep this going? I'm not sayin you did any wrong. I'm not trying to argue the exact situation. I am trying to let guys know (those that care) that there are a bunch of rules and it's not just "I have right of way 'cause I'm sailing."

I'm thinking your sayin rule 5 might be a thing (both boats)?
You didn't quote rule 17a,b. You did mention altering course (tacking), and then being concerned about a collision with the other guy?
Again, since you're into it, "right of way" has a specific meaning. The phrase is not used in any of the relevant rules. If you're gonna quote a bunch of stuff, please include the stuff that actually matters.
Basically (and informal)
I guess you get that "right of way" is not the same as "stand-on"?
Sailboaters are way smarter than stinkboaters. We all know that.

By the way, most of your babble is good. Some of it ("right of way" , what that means, where it applies) is, uhm, not that cool.
You mentioned rules that do not apply. Tell us all the rules that include "right of way" (rivers, downbound). The annex thing is ridiculous - read it.
Help me out here. I respect your knowledge, learning, sharing, teaching, etc.
Wanna start a rules forum? A start could be about the specific meaning of terms/phrases. Does anyone care?
Safe sailing,
Max
Heh-heh. No worries dude. As long as most of my babble is good...I'm golden.

As for rule 5, yeah, I'm busted. That was the point of my post above. 17a/b, however, are a stretch. Technically, these could possibly be claimed by Bonehead, however, we were sailing in a narrow channel, and therefore unable to hold course due to hazards - so he'd NEANDERFAIL that one too.

Go over to the Seamanship forum here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship/

And start a new thread on Rules. I think it would be a great discussion. I did a quick search and there are quite a few threads about specific questions - but nothing I could quickly find with a top-level reparte.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1996 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,578
Thanks: 153
Thanked 149 Times in 142 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Yeah, stinkpotters are the worst. Out here, the bigger they are, the more arrogant they get. This is a picture of the channel to my marina in Alameda with a pair of them thinking they “own” the whole channel (and I'm not talking about the "little" guys in the foreground either

>[/font]
That's just plain scary! I'll stop whining about "big boats".


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1997 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
GeorgeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alameda, San Francisco Bay
Posts: 1,843
Thanks: 1
Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
And they’ll only get worse. The port has already widened and dredged (to 50’ feet) the estuary in anticipation of the “super” container ships as soon as the recession ends. The prop suction & wash from these ships are tremendous and you have to mind your helm carefully so you don’t get drawn into them. The trick is to be able to get around them while they are turning around. As this picture shows, there isn’t a whole lot of clearance once they get perpendicular to the channel.

GeorgeB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1998 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
St Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern QLD, Bayside
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
And they’ll only get worse. The port has already widened and dredged (to 50’ feet) the estuary in anticipation of the “super” container ships as soon as the recession ends. The prop suction & wash from these ships are tremendous and you have to mind your helm carefully so you don’t get drawn into them. The trick is to be able to get around them while they are turning around. As this picture shows, there isn’t a whole lot of clearance once they get perpendicular to the channel.

What a place to try and sail - talk about a wind shadow. I really have an intense respectful dislike for those steel islands. Dont be like Scrooge Mc Smackdaddy and have enough fuel for teh return trip.

5 short blasts on the air horn should make them move [ to the rail and laugh at you!]


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
St Anna is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #1999 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
blt2ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Those ships look small George, you otter see some of the cruise ships coming and going thru puget sound! I seem to recall the largest ship on the see is one of the newest cruise ships! These things are monsters compared to the 2-3 carriers the make PS home! Or for that matter, even the container ships that come to Seattle or farther south to Tacoma!

Was not following the other thread, but, yes these big guys can move quickly, silently too! I remember one of them turning in front of me to enter Elliot Bay towards seattle, man that puppy was quick! As are the Cruise ships when you see them south of me in seattle coming out of the bay, 15-30 min max, they are here! 5' swells and all!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
blt2ski is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #2000 of 3091 Old 09-23-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 525
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
 
The largest cruise ship in the world is the Oasis of the Seas, but she is not the largest vessel (there are container or bulk carriers that are larger). I sailed past her when I was taking a sailing class in St Thomas. The cruise ship terminal was right next to the marina, and she was just leaving the dock as we pulled into our slip. That thing is HUGE!!! I got some fantastic pictures, but sadly my camera took an unscheduled swim while I was stowing the boathook after docking

1979 Gulfstar 37 Laissez Faire
rmeador is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
luffs, Battens and Leech ? painters Gear & Maintenance 17 11-15-2009 04:56 PM
Sloop or Ketch? maxheadspace Boat Review and Purchase Forum 46 07-27-2007 02:56 PM
Sails on a Boat That I'm Looking At FritzN Gear & Maintenance 9 02-22-2007 11:42 AM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Buying a Boat Articles 0 05-25-2000 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome