Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Those “little” ships are in excess of 900 feet long and draw close to 40 feet. The little grey one in the background is the “Lurline”, a Matson ROLO used on the Honolulu run. At 700’, she is big for Honolulu, but small for Oakland. The Port is getting ready for the 1,000 – 1,200 footers which are the largest container ships in the world. The passenger ships tie up at the older docks in San Francisco so I have no real size comparison. How big are the Love Boats anyway? Fortunately, the cargo ships are essentially coasting into the estuary as they need to be at full stop so they can be turned to windward at the turning basin. When they are going through San Francisco Bay proper, they are going in excess of 12-15 kts to maintain steerage in the stronger winds in the central Bay. These are the guys you have to watch for as the come up quickly and make for numerous crossing situations. Our port is fairly active and we can get up to a half dozen large commercial ships passing under the Golden Gate on any given day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
George,

We get on Friday to sunday 3 cruise ships leaving seattle in 30 min increments from about 5-6pm. The other day typically 2 in 30 min or less. Along with one or two other larger ships every hr or so daily, then you have not sure how many ferry's crossing puget sound daily.......

I am recalling at a meeting dealing with permits, the CG mentioned, PS has ore boat traffic than the next 3-5 area's combined on the west coast! Including SF bay, columbia river, LA etc.

Not sure how big the cruise ships are here, 350-400 or so feet. They dwarf most of the other ships I see coming thru here, including the carriers going north to Everett, and the moth balled navy ships in Bremerton.

Marty
Old 09-23-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Lol! I believe every USCG Group think’s their area is the biggest/busiest/most dangerous etc. Our Group 11 Commander had said that we were the fourth busiest port complex in North America. He also said that Group San Francisco had the highest number of rescues in the US. My half dozen ships a day are only the large tankers and cargo ships. I’m not counting all the ferries, coastal tankers freighters and bulk carriers. To put things into perspective, a Nimitz class aircraft carrier is a little over 1,000 feet long. A high endurance cutter (we have four, how many do you have Seattle? Two?) is just under four hundred feet. Our “small” container ships carry around 3,000 containers which they can off load and reload in 48 hours. To service the port, freight trains run pretty continuously nignt and day. If you ever drove Hwy 880, you know how much truck traffic we get.

Bulk carriers from Asia will travel up the Sacramento and San Juaquin rivers all the way to Stockton to pick up agricultural cargos. One time we were motoring straight into a 20kt headwind and nasty chop in an area known as “Middle Ground” The channel in this part is narrow – the north side is the Middle Ground shoal where you see birds wading at low tide. To the left is the (now old) Concord Naval Weapons Depot and those never friendly machine gun toting armed RIB driving marines. Well, as we were reenacting our favorite scenes from “Victory at Sea” – steep chop breaking over the bow, clearing the dodger and drenching us in the cockpit. All of our attention was focused forward as we worked to stay inside the channel. I sensed a black shadow creep up behind us and something in my brain told me to look back. And when I did (or should I say “looked up”?) There was the bow of a Korean Bulk Carrier looming above with two Korean sailors at the bow looking down at us. No warning horn, nothing. We quickly got over as far to the south side of the channel as we could without drawing the ire of marines and the bulk carrier slid on by. We did get a nonchalant wave from a crew on the bridge wing, like, almost running over a yachtie was no big deal in Korea. After that, close approaches in the estuary haven’t bothered me so much.
Old 09-23-2010

Maybe these cruise ships are longer than I thunk! We have two carriers at least, not sure of the models, would assume nimitz class.......These cruise ships are every bit as large or longer than the one in Everett I used to go by where I moored for a bit.......

then in hindsight, I thought puget sound was the busiest, altho we may be the largest sq miles.......

May have to look this all up!

I know for swiftsure, once an hour there are three or four CG area reports of where the BIG ships are coming thru the straght, so the racers do not get surprised by the BIG boys, and can stay away from them.

Marty
Old 09-29-2010

3 days

still time to get your plane ticket smacky......

winds are forecast as ferocious! yep yessiree, major storm coming in......:laugh er

South variable to 10 knots!
Old 09-30-2010

Icarus05 is on a distinguished road
Bad Bfs

I think this guy has the spirit (if not a bit extreme) of BFS but I think the execution was definately lost on him.

Video: Sailor crashes boat for 13th time - Telegraph
Old 09-30-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude, that is freaking hilarious! I especially love this line...

Quote:
Officials have pleaded with him to give up sailing, with local coastguards calling him 'Captain Calamity'.
Anyway, you're right, "seafaring antics" don't count as BFS. But I'd still throw him a sticker. Dude has some stones.

BTW - did you notice he sails a multi? Uh-huh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-30-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, that is freaking hilarious! I especially love this line...

Anyway, you're right, "seafaring antics" don't count as BFS. But I'd still throw him a sticker. Dude has some stones.

BTW - did you notice he sails a multi? Uh-huh.
Smackster,

I wanna sticker! What does it take? I love this thread and guess you're the "creator" of BFS?
I've shared some stuff.
Obviously, many BSF stories can only be written by guys that have done stuff they, ah, hmmm, well.... might think it's better to keep quiet?
I'll share more. I won't tell all.
I wanna sticker.
Thanks for the BFS thing
Max
Old 10-01-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Maybe these cruise ships are longer than I thunk! We have two carriers at least, not sure of the models, would assume nimitz class.......These cruise ships are every bit as large or longer than the one in Everett I used to go by where I moored for a bit.......

then in hindsight, I thought puget sound was the busiest, altho we may be the largest sq miles.......

May have to look this all up!

I know for swiftsure, once an hour there are three or four CG area reports of where the BIG ships are coming thru the straght, so the racers do not get surprised by the BIG boys, and can stay away from them.

Marty
Look it up? Why?
The Straits of Juan De Fuca ( where the famous "Swiftsure" race is) is the route ships run for these ports (and more): Van, BC (Most ship traffic, most tonnage, busiest port on the west coast of NA?), Seattle and Tacoma ( combined, 3rd largest West Coast US), Everett, Bangor Sub base, Bremerton naval sy, other US and BC ports.
Add all the Alaska trade (tug/barge, small fish boats, large fish boats, coastal frieghters), coastal trade (tug/barge, etc).
I can't (and don't care) to quote data. There are a bunch of big guys transitting the Strts of JDF. Although it's a large area, Pilots (know what that means) don't board until well inside the Straits (Port Angeles, Race Rks)

The VTS for the Strts of JDF is a joint deal - US/Can. Mostly, and simplistically, the area is part of "Seattle Traffic" VTS - ch 5A ( north of Bush Pt, 14 So. of.)

The guys (VTS, "Seattle Traffic") that made safety announcements hourly during the "swiftsure" were... Uh, well, don't take as negative - going out of their way, making announcements on many frequencies (16,5A, 13?, possibly the designated RC freq?) because they recognized that the situation called for.. extra precaution, added traffic updates, AND that a bunch of ships (controlled by guys that ain't from around here) combined with a bunch sailboats, racing at night once a yr. in the area (run by guys that are unknown in their world).
So...
Don't expect hourly updates - except during the race.
Many areas have major ship traffic. If you think you might be near shipping/commercial lanes - know what that's all about. Never believe that ships at sea, large commercial guys in traffic lanes, or elsewhere are able to avoid you.
In general - commercial guys know very little about sailboats (and don't care). Tacking close to any powerboat can be very confusing to them. Believe me -
guys with big tonnage licenses know nothing about sailing up wind ( or sailing at all).

Here's one for ya:
I heard a call on the VHF when in the Strts of JDF. It went something like this:
"the white power vessel, bearing 078, range 3000 yards, this is Navy unit 23"
No reply
then he repeated the call, and demanded the this small boat alter course and get out of his way.
I got a good laugh that day.
Max
Old 10-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxboatspeed View Post
Smackster,

I wanna sticker! What does it take? I love this thread and guess you're the "creator" of BFS?
I've shared some stuff.
Obviously, many BSF stories can only be written by guys that have done stuff they, ah, hmmm, well.... might think it's better to keep quiet?
I'll share more. I won't tell all.
I wanna sticker.
Thanks for the BFS thing
Max
Three ways to get a free sticker:

1. I usually throw one into every order just to say thanks.

2. If a BFS story is huge and I put it on the site (with permission of course), like CharlieCobra's and Val's, you get a sticker.

3. If you're a complete bonehead, intentionally sail your boat into the surf 13 times and lose it, I'll give you a sticker out of sympathy to put on your Datsun since you no longer have a boat. This just to remind you that BFS only counts if you and the boat get home safely - and to give you some loftier goals to aspire to than just being stupid.

So what you got dude?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40