Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Three ways to get a free sticker:

1. I usually throw one into every order just to say thanks.

2. If a BFS story is huge and I put it on the site (with permission of course), like CharlieCobra's and Val's, you get a sticker.

3. If you're a complete bonehead, intentionally sail your boat into the surf 13 times and lose it, I'll give you a sticker out of sympathy to put on your Datsun since you no longer have a boat. This just to remind you that BFS only counts if you and the boat get home safely - and to give you some loftier goals to aspire to than just being stupid.

So what you got dude?
Ok. Maybe I'm a complete bonehead 'cause:

1. I don't know what you're sellin, or I can order
2. I don't know what Val or Charliecobra said
3. I still have a boat.

I've been boatin a while and am happy to say I've learned from my mistakes ( I like to think!).
I still want a sticker.
More later
Max
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. No worries max. Here is the link to Val's and Charlie's featured throwdowns...which were initially posted in this thread. The whole BFS thing started right here on Sailnet. So it's pretty cool.

Featured Throwdowns

Also, remember the annual BFS Cup. You can read about those winners too...both of which were also posted in this thread. We'll start the 2010 voting in a few weeks.

So, it's all about the BFS. Great big sailing stories never get old - and deserve a little bling now and then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-01-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Max,

As far as updated in the straights, I do not expect them, EXCEPT, as mentioned during swiftsure for what I hope you and I know as obvious reality, 300 and some odd sailboats on a mission, who knows how many BIG boys coming in on a mission, with in a what I would call a very to reasonably confined area to travel in........

I was pretty sure my source, ie CG at a skippers meeting held here in Seattle to discuss permits etc along with a Boat US article in that rag, mentioned Pugetsound/along with up into BC had more boat traffic than the rest of the west coast or some such item.

marty
Old 10-01-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
LOL. It’s great to see that there is a lot of local pride out there for our ports. Which is odd when you think of it – the busier the port, the more ships you have to dodge and the less fun the sailing is. Well, I tried to do a little reseach but “busiest” is a hard term to define. For example, COSCO’s main North American Terminal is Oakland which also receives ships that have either docked in LA/Long Beach or Seattle/Tacoma on the same outbound leg. But interestingly, COSCO ships do not bypass Oakland and transit directly to/from LA/Seattle.

Wikipedia has a listing of the 150 largest ports in the US by tonnage so if we use that, we both lose! The third largest is Newark NJ! And the rounding out the top four are all on the gulf coast (man, there is a lot of tonnage in oil). Long Beach is the largest on the west coast followed by Los Angles Ca., Valdez, and Portland Oregon! Tacoma is next followed by Richmond Ca. (again, there is a lot of oil moved by water). If I rank the West Coast by regions and exclude Hawaii and Alaska, the LA are is largest at 132M tons followed by the Puget sound @ 81M tons. Then SF Bay @ 47M tons. In fourth place is Portland Or @ 36M tons (must be all the agricutural products from the Inland Empire. Followed by San Diego @ 3M tons.

Puget Sound is bigger than the Bay Area. Enjoy your ship traffic! Just so happens that I was sailing in the Santa Barbara channel this past weekend (10 PM to 9 AM) and we were tracking ships using AIS/MARPA on our computer and there was never less than five cargo ships/ tankers on the screen at any one time. We generally ignored the fishing boat/ oil platform service ship contacts as they generally were not operating in close proximity to us.
Old 10-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ports-schmorts.

Lake Travis is cooler...and far more challenging. I'm talkin' tornadoes you wimps!

Old 10-03-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
It's all good. I just mentioned stuff that came to mind (traffic - strait of jdf) I'm thinkin:
No disrespect intended.
I guess it seemed relevant to mention the Straits of Juan De Fuca is an area transitted by a bunch of stuff, on their way to/from a bunch of ports (many in BC).
It's not really about whose is bigger. It's about what you do with it. I support "safe sail" and using contraptions. A few precautions can avoid getting anyone knocked down (up), crabs chewin on ya, other unpleasant stuff.
Yep, "sail ed" might lead to more "safe sail" and reduce HIV (Having Impact with Vessels).
Safe sail
Max
Old 10-03-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Different way of saying HIV......happened yesterday. On RC boat, boat comes along starboard side, motoring, right into a start area, yell at them, the go oops, try to do a u'y of course towards the RC, right into the hull at slow speed, but SB would have lost. RC is a 350K lb converted fishing boat into a live aboard! 85' long, with more draft than the SB. Coulda shoulds DQ"d the idjiot for that........another did the same later, but did not hit anyone........

It is possbible the area is what the CG brings up as to why puget sound is the largest something or other........not that it matters.

Marty
Old 10-04-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Puget Sound is bigger than the Bay Area. Enjoy your ship traffic! Just so happens that I was sailing in the Santa Barbara channel this past weekend (10 PM to 9 AM) and we were tracking ships using AIS/MARPA on our computer and there was never less than five cargo ships/ tankers on the screen at any one time. We generally ignored the fishing boat/ oil platform service ship contacts as they generally were not operating in close proximity to us.
Having sailed in both SF Bay and the Sound, it seems that there's more traffic in the Sound. A lot of ferry crossings, tug and barge traffic for WA, BC, and Alaska, Bremerton and Everett naval yards/bases, Seattle CG, Esquimalt naval base, Argosy Lines cruise boats and ferries, the Victoria clipper, summer cruise ships (3-4 a day), the Port of Olympia, Port of Tacoma, Pt. Roberts, Vancouver, Victoria, fishing fleets in Seattle and Steveston BC, BC Ferries at multiple crossings, yada yada yada.... and those damn sea planes everywhere. We're long for sure, but narrow too! But no doubt, both are crowded venues!
Old 10-11-2010
Last Man Standing

Hey, check it out!

A little bird told me that Giu had himself an actual BFS! And since I love good sailing stories where-ever they come from, here you go!

Old Shoes for Ocean crossings?? Yeah right!! Not me....

Nice going dude!

Old 10-11-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hey Smackman,
How goes it?

Do you think Giu would say I sail ' an old shoe'? If so, then I believe I could be qualified enough to have a decent discussion with him about heavy weather sailing. I agree with pretty much of his conclusions, but not all. I think the other boats in his group quit because of their crew's attitude, not the boat limitations.

I agree 100% that you have to be fast and slow is dangerous. This means you have to work the sails to keep your hull speed up. This statement means getting out in it and reefing/ popping reefs, changing sails, adding inner jibs etc etc. Many 'old shoes' are just slow, under powered, ketches or small motor. However, many 'bendy toys' have a piddly engine as well and cannot keep up against wind.

However, a hull shape designed solely to pack more charter people in, may go to windwards, albeit with a significant heel, but both a fast or slow downwind run can be really dangerous unless you have an experienced person on the helm.

Dramamine's side effects are well known. Sailing near a cape will cause swells to 'bounce back', changing the sea pattern. This may induce nausea.

For credibility, here is a copy of our closest Cape's weather.45-50kn SE'ers For the record, yes, I have been out in that location and weather and yes we sail, not motor. The 'water' was 3-5m on a 3-5m swell. So 6-10m of water and up to 57kn true. The swells were far enough apart. I would not wish to be in a multihull and I would not want to be caught out in that in anything but my current boat! Earlier this year, there were calls for assistance because of 'crew failure' in similar conditions. Both were from yachts similar to modern, large bummed, bolt on keeled, bendy toy types. Apart from a Roberts ketch, we were the only other 'idiots' out in that weather. The Roberts motored, horribly. We were not having a G&T time of it, but we were confident in our boat and our ability to keep on to where we were headed.

10/03:28pm17.9SSE45551017.7-3.8-------
10/03:00pm18.0SSE43511018.3-3.6-------
10/02:30pm17.6SSE47551017.9-3.6-------
10/02:22pm17.8SSE47571018.1-3.6-------
10/02:00pm17.4SSE48571017.9

The bottom line, is that is is essential to get where your'e headed, it is immensly satisfying to get there first, so Giu - Salute'

Last edited by St Anna; 10-11-2010 at 02:54 PM.