Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
I forgot this:
Chal,
whatcha sailing and where? Just curious.
Max
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2010
Arrgh!

u4ea is on a distinguished road
Smack,

No longer in Europe, back in the States.

Too bad we didn't have video cams useful on boats back then. One of the guys I race with a lot in Hawaii always brings his vcam, and he's posted a bunch of good big wind, big sea, big speed on youtube. I'll try and track down a few links...
Old 10-18-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxboatspeed View Post
I forgot this:
Chal,
whatcha sailing and where? Just curious.
Max
We are based in Sydney, Australia. My boat is an Aussie design, a supersonic 27, an IOR influenced cruiser/racer from the late 70's. We are currently boat shopping for a new boat a the moment.....

I couldn't agree with you more when you say if the forecast says 30 knots, be ready for 60 knots.

I have had a previous experience where the forecast said 25 knots, and we got up to 40....It was made worse by the fact that I was also skippering a boat that was not mine.

In that situation, We were very much caught with our pants down. I particularly was complacent, my wife(an experienced racing sailor) luckily shook me to action as we watched the wind speed climb way above the foecast. It was a lesson lean't I won't soon forget.

In the situation on the past weekend though, I knew it was a passing front, it was blowing in the 30's for hours, but we waited deliberately until we knew it was at it worst and easing before departing, this signalled the back of the front. I would not have under any circumstances departed on or before the front had hit, or until I knew what it was up to.

I guess what I am saying is that there is alot of difference between 30 knots and easing and a 30 knot don't really know forecast....it is also important to say here to novie sailors that above 30 knots wind is unpredictable and well ferocious. You are basically just taking degrees of terror....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 10-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2010

Thanks chal

Chal03,

Thanks again. I think you are great at telling your stories (BFS?) and explaining stuff. I love that. I know that you know, and "get it." I think that many guys don't know.
So... I make comments that might (or not) be worth thinking about. To anyone and everyone. Especially, I'm thinking about reader guys that want advice.
Chal - thanks. For your cool stuff and backin me.
I guess I'll skip talking wx again.

So.. What's the boat? (sorry, you may have said). '80ish 1 ton?Aussie build/design? When, where, who? Are you cruising?
I'm 48N, 122W (WA, USA). You?

Safe sailing,
Max
Old 10-19-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Max, and your comments were right on the money I think...

Our boat is a Scott Kaufman design....
we are 33S 151E(Sydney, Australia)

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2010

A story

I'm thinkin I owe a story.
Here's one:
once upon a time (late 80s, fall), in a far away place (ME,USA), a very gusty day (18-25, gusts 30ish), in the harbor(harbour), a college team raced lasers (and more) in house. Ordinarily this regatta only includes team members.
So.. An outsider was let into the game. Kinda a short guy. Bad shape too!
Shorty thought he was screwed: can't beat these tall guys in this wind. Second thought (start sequence): shorty smiled cause he knew big wind is fun. He knew 3-4, of 15, could even deal. Gotta think outside their box. Port tack start, pin end (favored, shifty), ahead of all - a grin. Rounding the wx mark 3rd is ok - 4th ain't far behind. 1&2 are tall, good sailors. No one else in the game.
So....wind is up, gusty, some shift, running, 30ish, all out planing. 1st, 2nd pull their boards high. Shorty starts to pull his a bit as a big gust hits. 4th pulls his high too, and crashes hard 1st. Shorty drops his board (etc). 1&2 crash right in front of shorty. So..... 2 boats, 2 masts, 2 guys to avoid - while planing downwind fast, tryin not to crash. It was one of those times split second reaction is a thing. Running over these guys was the biggest concern. That concern lasted about 2 seconds.

Yah! Missed em, no one got hurt! Smiles again.
Also - 1st place, "I'm cool cause I get big wind better", "these guys must wanna know what I know" - were things shorty thought and was proud of.
The team (coach too) didn't want shorty to play anymore. Ok - the two top guys did want shorty playing. They all knew it was about learning from other guys. Even when you're not on the same page.
Safe sailin
Max
Old 10-24-2010
Swabbie

optikul81 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxboatspeed View Post
Here's one for ya:
I heard a call on the VHF when in the Strts of JDF. It went something like this:
"the white power vessel, bearing 078, range 3000 yards, this is Navy unit 23"
No reply
then he repeated the call, and demanded the this small boat alter course and get out of his way.
I got a good laugh that day.
Max
That is funny but also understandable when you're part of the piloting party on the submarine. Our officers are not used to being on the surface using VHF radio's and talking to non navy units. They get used to sending/receiving reports of this vessel bearing such and such and this many yards...

That brings up one of my pet peev's... when we are transitting through the Strts of JDF we have had some close calls because people see a submarine coming at them and panic! Kind of like a policemen rolling on up behind them.. Don't panic, just follow the rules of the road! We are required to obey them just like you regardless if we have WMD's or not. If you are confused just hail us and we'll respond...

EZ Day!

Chris

"Best Marine is a Submarine"
Old 10-24-2010

Hey swabbie Chris,

Since you bothered to pull up old stuff, I'm gonna reply. Maybe the laser sailing story was worth tellin? I think my story may have been about passing arangements?
Anyway, no disrespect intended. Thank you. Submariner?
I wish that I could express my respect and appreciation! You guys are the best. The job you guys do is.... Beyond words.

No, it wasn't a sub making the call.

I know the rules. I know about radio standards. I know 3000 yrds is 1.5 nm. I know it's rediculous to think a guy will respond to "boat bearing ---".
Sorry if ya felt dissed. That isn't my intention.
I know that most people dont have my experience making passing arrangements. I'll go ahead and include 90% of US navy officers with that. It's about safe navigation and the real world.
By the way, claiming that you've had a bunch of close calls because "they panic" is.... ah...
Thanks
max
Old 10-24-2010
Swabbie

optikul81 is on a distinguished road
Max! I didn't feel dissed at all! That wasn't the intention of my post!

I wasn't commenting on the laser sailing story....

Kinda hard to convey feelings through text.. but I was just trying to state that with everything that goes on inside the boat and outside.. it can get confusing and sometimes the officers ( or enlisted ) can make simple mistakes like that. Although there is usually someone there to back them up. If it wasn't a sub.. well then.. those skimmers are at it again!

Oh and when I say "close call" I mean they are within a certain distance to our boat that warrants more scrutiny than normal. I guess i'm not very articulate and need to choose my words better. "Close Calls" dont happen very often and it's small stuff like we had a pleasure craft that was a stand-on vessel just cut off their engines and go dead in the water right on our intended track.. now they were still a couple miles out so there was no risk of collision and we altered course to avoid them. Just little things like that....
Old 10-24-2010

Cool -
I try to communicate. VHF and here. I'm better with VHF. Here - I ponder, think about related stuff, forget what the question is, bring up stuff that comes to mind.
I get that you get it.
Thanks for taking the time to explain stuff. Yes!
I've talked to lots of "skimmers" (couple subs too). I know I'm talking to folks in training (maybe not on subs). Sometimes there is a long pause. I smile, knowing they're talking to the watch officer. I know they are learning how to do it.
I train guys too. I try not to laugh as they stumble, and say stupid snit on the radio. Then, I try to tell them my thoughts.

Max - out