Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree312Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chutzpah...

Hold Fast on Vimeo

I love these chumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap! Go the Gulfies!

Ever wonder what happens when you drop your keel-stepped stick?

Sounds like the Harvest Moon Regatta was an exciting race. And, unfortunately, expensive for Mystique.

Quote:
Rig came down at about 3:00 AM, ~65 – 66 miles, from Port Aransas turning mark, 0.9 miles south of rhumb line Jettisoned rig into the Gulf and motored 20 miles to the Matagorda Channel and parked the boat in Port O’Conner. No standing rigging failure (stays), mast buckled to windward just above the base of the rigid boom vang above deck. Because the mast was keel stepped, the deck damage was large. When mast failed it sank into the boat, the rigid vang essentially going through the deck, then mast falling off to the water, perpendicular to the starboard side of the boat to leeward. Reefed main and 95% blade jib up, doing about 7.5 knots over the bottom close reaching. No warning, just a “slow motion” splintering of fiberglass and mast sinking into the boat, then falling over the side. What was probably a matter of about 10—20 seconds seemed like a minute or more, all slow motion like. All safe, no one hurt."
RTB - do you know these guys?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-29-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Smack, the one word that best describes that is "ouch!"

Just wondering how much damage before the boat is declared a write-off.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 11-01-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
That is an ouch smack!

Had a good last race of the halloween series my club has, managed to end the season with a bullet and correct 1st in division. Three weeks ago a 5th of 9 that raced out of 11 registered. Now if there would have been one more, the fleet would have been split, with me getting 2 bullet/crrect firsts and a 2nd both actual and corrected. Third race was the only race a boat slower than me corrected over....

marty
Old 11-01-2010
Last Man Standing

FIRST PLACE??? That's...like...winning!

Very nice Bluto!!!

Old 11-02-2010
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
Smack, the one word that best describes that is "ouch!"

Just wondering how much damage before the boat is declared a write-off.
My guess would be about that much.

Old 11-04-2010

Kacper is on a distinguished road
My latest BFS...

My latest BFS almost ended my life and ended up in the hospital, here's how it happened.

1 Year ago I went sailing single handed, as I often do on a Catalina Capri 24' from the local club, out in English Bay, Vancouver, BC.

A friend was going to go with me, but he canceled last minute due to his wife getting ill. What's a sailor to do?

I hadn't sailed at that point for well over a year, and just recently became a father of a little baby girl, the shock that parenting had delivered to my life-style was so extreme, I had to get out of the house and I wanted to get out on the water, I wasn't about to not go just because my friend canceled.

It was the middle of October, cold, and blowing moderately, 10-20 knots from the NW, I decided to go for it, fully confident in my single handling abilities...

I was about to get a lesson of a life-time...

After ordering some yummy fish burgers to eat on the boat I motored into the bay and raised sail. Instantly they sails filled with great wind and we were tacking North back-and forth, with rail in the water. I was having a blast.

about 1.5 hours in the wind picked up and I was getting hungry, too lazy to reef at that moment, I decided to heave to and have my fish burgers. It's always so deceptive when you heave to as things get so calm... The boat righted herself and we were bobbing up and down on big Ocean Swells, along with occasional steep 4' waves. I delighted in my food and watched the sun slowly fall towards the west as I reflected on my amazing sailing abilities.

Suddenly... I began to get queasy - something that doesn't happen often to me, especially not in the bay. I figured it was because I hadn't sailed for so long. I decided to call it a day, not wanting to return my lunch to the Sea via up-chucking.

The winds were now blowing a steady 15-25N from the NW, and I turned down wind.

I began gybing to work my way around the many cargo tankers parked in the bay.

The trouble with the Capri is that the winches are very far forward away from the tiller, gybing and tacking the genoa is always a juggling act. I had worked out a system where I gyve the main first, then tie the tiller and jump forward quickly to un-fasten the sheet on one winch and fasten it up on the next.

Being a small boat, the boom is at head level...

(you can see where this is going)

I was getting more and more queasy. We were on a collision course with a peer on Jerico beach about half a mile out and it was time to gybe again and get on a port broad reach around the last cargo tanker.

I gybed the main, things looked good, I quickly prepped the other jib sheet around the winch so I could simply release the port one and immediately tighten the starboard jib sheet. all ready... time to jump forward for a split second and undo the port sheet... lets tie the tiller.

Naw, lets not tie the tiller, I can just jump forward for half a second... (feeling queasy trying to avoid looking down too much)

CRACK!

There was only a split second for me to realize what was happening before I heard the sound of the boom hitting me square on the face at the typical whiplash "accidental gybe" speed, and in that split second a relaxing sail turned into a fight for my life.

My skull went flying back and twisting to the left along with the rest of my body being thrown a good 2 feet of my legs.

A few seconds later I came to. An incredibly sharp and mind-numbing pain through my entire head. Blood dripping everywhere.

I am hanging over the port beam, half my body draping over the boat, arms included. I feel my consciousness slip away from me as I watch my hat in the water get further and further away from me, blood dripping down into the water.

Those few seconds seemed to last forever, in a type of surreal slow motion. My head was hit so hard I had no idea what was going on, all I felt was the incredible pain which had taken over my entire being, everything was a haze and my vision seemed to be really fuzzy. Oh the pain!

I hung there motion-less, unable to move or think... when suddenly, with what felt like all the strength I had left in me I conjured a thought...

"Focus! You have to focus now or you'll die!"

Adrenaline came into my body and I managed to grab hold of a winch with my right hand and somehow clumsily slip back into the ****-pit.

I was now in a state of shock, with adrenaline coursing through my blood. Fighting to remain my consciousness, which seemed to be slipping from me every second as the fuzzy tunnel around my vision got narrowed and narrowed.

I remember sitting there, all I could do was stare blankly at a spot in front of me, unable to make sense of anything, unable to grab a hold of anything tangible in my brain, not a thought, not a perspective, definitely not the ability to look around and trying to make sense of what was happening.

I think the pain saved me. Minutes later a big secondary wave of sharp pain shot through my nose and into the back of my skull. It was more painful than before, yet somehow, sobering.

I let out a loud grunt of pain that sounded something like "aRGhhth!!!"

And another thought, which somehow aligned the entire fubar brain-state I was in into something manageable...

"Focus!"

I said the words over and over again, but through my messed up bloody face what came out of my mouth sounded more like "pokoollsth

I looked down and the cockpit floor was covered in blood.

My hands went up to my face to check for damage... PAIN! AARGGH! Hands covered in blood! A fresh stream of blood came trickling out of my nose. I came to the conclusion that all the blood must have been from my nose. I noticed some tissue laying around from the food earlier and put it up to my nose and looked up to try to stop the bleeding.

Since I looked up, for the first time in maybe 15 minutes I got to look at the boat, sails were flying everywhere, sheets were whip-lashing back and forth, there was an awful lot of noise. Normally this would make sense, but I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Then I looked to land... and saw that we were on a dead-on collision course with the dock on Jerico beach (since the boat jibed back to the original course) Danger! have to do something...

It's hard to describe a post-concussion brain state. I could now clearly(more or less) see everything that was going on in-front of me. But I was unable to comprehend any of it.

I knew I had to do something, but I didn't know how to do it.

The genoa had somehow wrapped itself around the forestay 3 times and all the sheets were stuck on stanchions and tangled up.

I stared and stared and stared at the fore-stay trying to make sense of it. No joy, my mind was just blank.

The simple task of figuring out what to do was like trying to solve a rubiks cube. I looked at the tiller and something in me knew I had to push it, but in what direction I had no idea.

Now dangerously close to the dock, the boat hurtling at it at 7 knots.

It took me forever to figure out which direction to move the tiller in, I started visualizing the tiller and the rudder, and finally got the boat pointed
away from danger.

After I gybed it took another good 30 minutes of me sitting there and staring into the abyss of consciousness until I was able to slowing crawl on hands and feet to the forestay to untangle the genoa.

The process was extremely painful as my skull throbbed, but the thought "focus, focus, focus" kept on repeating in my head.

I made it back to the dock, someone was there to help me tie the boat up (no way in hell I could tie a knot at that point)

In the end... it was a very broken nose and a very minor but powerful enough head injury.

It's incredible how in just 1 second of shear stupidity and lack of carefulness can not only end your day, but potentially your life. I was very lucky to not have fallen over-board when the boom hit me. Had I went over, there's no doubt(having described clearly what happened to my state of mind) that I'd be dead within minutes in the ice-cold October water here in BC.

Just one foot more and my little girl wouldn't have a father.

I never single-hand anymore, not until I my girl is 18+ yearsold and has gotten tired of her Dad.

Kacper
Old 11-04-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
Kacper--- i had a jibe in september ( labor day here in the USA) , but not half as bad as yours. it was blowing 30 NE down lake superior. i was sailing north in superior bay with reefed sails, toe rail in the water. my youngest daughter was with me (62) . i was heading back to the marina, up the st. louis river. when i turned west to go under the blatnick bridge i rolled in the genny and swung the main way out to port. several miles later i went under the bong bridge and headed for the grassy point swing bridge. i was right on the edge of a jibe. i know very well i should have rigged a preventer or turned around and rolled down the main, but i had only about a half mile to go before i would turn west to sail up the river. as i passed the swing bridge it blocked part of the wind, then the boom suddenly came across. i tried to stop it amidships but it hit me in the back of the neck. then i turned around and rolled down the main. i was not bleeding but i got a concussion and went to the hospital for a cat scan. i had some blood on the brain and headaches for two weeks, but i don't have them now. you would think at my age (88) i would know better than to take a chance like that.
Old 11-04-2010
Last Man Standing

Now those are two smackdowns! Great stories guys.

Kac - in reconstructing your boom slap with AutoCad I think I tracked down the thing that set off the "event cascade" which lead to your jibe-induce skull cracking. It was those damn fish burgers. Dude, everyone knows you don't eat fish burgers on a boat less than 28' in length!

And cap - at 88, you are simply THE MAN!!! Blowing off a subdural hematoma like it was a mosquito bite. Epic.

Old 11-06-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Kacper & Capbill,

great stories!! I'm glad you both lived to tell them!
I know you guys are topnotch sailors and snit happens.

I feel like chiming in with a "safety meeting." In other words - points that we all (newbie-ancient) might want to consider.
So....

1. (basic for newer guys) gettin hit by the boom while gybing can easily be deadly. Even in "little" boats.
Getting hit in the head - 20'+ boat, 15+ knots, uncontrolled gybe=death!

2. Single handing adds risk. Exactly like solo climbing, skiing backcounty alone, hiking alone, diving without a buddy, etc.
Injuries, or equipment problems, can be 100x worse when you're alone.
Thinking, planning, caution, understanding the risks, handling "emergencies", and not getting smacked in the head by the boom, can be 100x more important when your alone.

3. Solo - MOB (falling in)=death. Kinda like falling off a 100' cliff. I like to remind myself of that!
Same deal if no one else on the boat can save your (my) arse.

4. Consider emergency resources. What is available, Contacting them, getting the help you may need - on the water. Every little kid knows how to dial 911 from home(US). It's not simple on the water. Depends on where ya are.
When you're hurt bad, you know it's gettin worse, and you want help - using all your resources can save your arse.

5. Calling mayday: do it when you need to.

So... Kacpar - nice, you made it!
Van has great resources. Harbour CG w/EMTs, 50 knt fireboat/hovercraft, great VTS (ch12), small workboats everywhere. If you think you gonna die, help is close.
The seas can be nasty: current against wind.
Good story. Thanks again
Max

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.