Big Freakin' Sails - Page 208 - SailNet Community
 392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2071 of 3067 Old 11-10-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjenner View Post
Over at SA, they said this was "nothing but sheer, blind, luck" or some sort. I disagree.

Sure, the conditions are really awful. But that harbor entrance is much larger than the seems in this video. Remember, you are looking at the harbor entrance from almost a 45 degree angle.

The helmsman does know how to drive his boat and, want to bet he does this often?
I agree. Look at his set-up right before the wave carries him in. He's actively angling the boat to set up for the next wave. Then, he actively steers a clean run when he starts to surf. He knows what he's doing.

The biggest giveaway is that the bowman is hanging out at the forestay. He's either astronomically stupid - or this isn't their first rodeo.

Either way - freakin' impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3067 Old 11-10-2010
the pointy end is the bow

Quote:
The biggest giveaway is that the bowman is hanging out at the forestay. He's either astronomically stupid - or this isn't their first rodeo.
Have to survive the first rodeo to get good at it though.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #2073 of 3067 Old 11-10-2010
ancient mariner

smack---- today is the anniversary of the sinking of the edmund fitzgerald that inspired gordon lightfoot's song. did you see the vidio? anyone who sails on lake superior has to keep a watch on the weather. in 1982 i was on the silvania , about 600 ft long. we were heading west around the keweenaw peninsula into a stiff NW blow in december. the propeller was coming out of the water & the ship was twisting and bending in the middle

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
post #2074 of 3067 Old 11-10-2010
ancient mariner

i just checked the date i was on the silvania. it was 1952 not 1982

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
post #2075 of 3067 Old 11-10-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
smack---- today is the anniversary of the sinking of the edmund fitzgerald that inspired gordon lightfoot's song. did you see the vidio? anyone who sails on lake superior has to keep a watch on the weather. in 1982 i was on the silvania , about 600 ft long. we were heading west around the keweenaw peninsula into a stiff NW blow in december. the propeller was coming out of the water & the ship was twisting and bending in the middle
Holy crap bill. That is some seriously frightening power. What makes the lakes so much "worse" than the ocean (relatively)? Is it the depth vs. fetch?

post #2076 of 3067 Old 11-11-2010
1975 Newport 28

The average depths of the Great Lakes is not all that great. Superior has the largest average depth at 483' and Erie the least at 62'. You can image the boxy waves you'd get with Superior's fetch. And I don't even wanna think about Erie's 62' and hurricane winds blowing along its length.

Sounds like the Chesapeake multiplied a hundred times.

S/V Free Spirit

Monrovia, MD
post #2077 of 3067 Old 11-11-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Jeez - that is scary. 62 feet - and it can still stack up 20'+ waves?!?!

Anyone know the biggest waves recorded on the lakes?

post #2078 of 3067 Old 11-11-2010
1975 Newport 28

Forget waves on Erie -- think seiches.

From Wikipedia:

"Seiches are often imperceptible to the naked eye, and observers in boats on the surface may not notice that a seiche is occurring due to the extremely long wavelengths. The effect is caused by resonances in a body of water that has been disturbed by one or more of a number of factors, most often meteorological effects (wind and atmospheric pressure variations)... [emphasis mine]

"Lake Erie is particularly prone to wind-caused seiches because of its shallowness and elongation. These can lead to extreme seiches of up to 5 m (16 feet) between the ends of the lake.

"...on July 13, 1995, a big seiche on Lake Superior caused the water level to fall and then rise again by three feet (one meter) within fifteen minutes, leaving some boats hanging from the docks on their mooring lines when the water retreated. The same storm system that caused the 1995 seiche on Lake Superior produced a similar effect in Lake Huron, in which the water level at Port Huron changed by six feet (1.8 m) over two hours. On Lake Michigan, eight fishermen were swept away and drowned when a 10-foot seiche hit the Chicago waterfront on June 26, 1954."

Water wants to kill us. All the time.

S/V Free Spirit

Monrovia, MD
post #2079 of 3067 Old 11-21-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Seriously fun day! Sun was shining. About 80 degrees. Winds 18 knots gusting to 25. Pure loveliness:

The best part was that on the way back in I was "racing" a First 30. We were on parallel starboard tacks (close reach) about 60' apart - and he was upwind. The problem was that he kept pushing me down which was stalling the rudder a bit. At first I wasn't sure why he was doing it. Eventually he passed me about 20' off my bow (due to the rudder acting as a brake). I then pushed back up into the wind and left him quickly behind because I could point 6-8 degrees higher than he could.

When were back in the slip having a beer, that Bene's crew walked by and I mentioned how fast they looked as they were passing us and shook my fist at them. The skipper just said, "Well, we might have been faster but we couldn't point nearly as high as you, and you're here waiting on us."

C-27s are freakin' sweet!

We also took our 7 yo nephew out for his first sail. We was all about the v-berth:

Great day!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
post #2080 of 3067 Old 11-21-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

Looks exellent Smack !
A C-27 doing anything better than a First has to be rewarding .

Looks like nephew found the softest driest lowest part of the boat to ride lol....

There is no right way to do the wrong thing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.