Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjenner View Post
Over at SA, they said this was "nothing but sheer, blind, luck" or some sort. I disagree.

Sure, the conditions are really awful. But that harbor entrance is much larger than the seems in this video. Remember, you are looking at the harbor entrance from almost a 45 degree angle.

The helmsman does know how to drive his boat and, want to bet he does this often?
I agree. Look at his set-up right before the wave carries him in. He's actively angling the boat to set up for the next wave. Then, he actively steers a clean run when he starts to surf. He knows what he's doing.

The biggest giveaway is that the bowman is hanging out at the forestay. He's either astronomically stupid - or this isn't their first rodeo.

Either way - freakin' impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The biggest giveaway is that the bowman is hanging out at the forestay. He's either astronomically stupid - or this isn't their first rodeo.
Have to survive the first rodeo to get good at it though.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-10-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
smack---- today is the anniversary of the sinking of the edmund fitzgerald that inspired gordon lightfoot's song. did you see the vidio? anyone who sails on lake superior has to keep a watch on the weather. in 1982 i was on the silvania , about 600 ft long. we were heading west around the keweenaw peninsula into a stiff NW blow in december. the propeller was coming out of the water & the ship was twisting and bending in the middle
Old 11-10-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i just checked the date i was on the silvania. it was 1952 not 1982
Old 11-10-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
smack---- today is the anniversary of the sinking of the edmund fitzgerald that inspired gordon lightfoot's song. did you see the vidio? anyone who sails on lake superior has to keep a watch on the weather. in 1982 i was on the silvania , about 600 ft long. we were heading west around the keweenaw peninsula into a stiff NW blow in december. the propeller was coming out of the water & the ship was twisting and bending in the middle
Holy crap bill. That is some seriously frightening power. What makes the lakes so much "worse" than the ocean (relatively)? Is it the depth vs. fetch?

Old 11-11-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
The average depths of the Great Lakes is not all that great. Superior has the largest average depth at 483' and Erie the least at 62'. You can image the boxy waves you'd get with Superior's fetch. And I don't even wanna think about Erie's 62' and hurricane winds blowing along its length.

Sounds like the Chesapeake multiplied a hundred times.

Monrovia, MD
Old 11-11-2010
Last Man Standing

Jeez - that is scary. 62 feet - and it can still stack up 20'+ waves?!?!

Anyone know the biggest waves recorded on the lakes?

Old 11-11-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Forget waves on Erie -- think seiches.

From Wikipedia:

"Seiches are often imperceptible to the naked eye, and observers in boats on the surface may not notice that a seiche is occurring due to the extremely long wavelengths. The effect is caused by resonances in a body of water that has been disturbed by one or more of a number of factors, most often meteorological effects (wind and atmospheric pressure variations)... [emphasis mine]

"Lake Erie is particularly prone to wind-caused seiches because of its shallowness and elongation. These can lead to extreme seiches of up to 5 m (16 feet) between the ends of the lake.

"...on July 13, 1995, a big seiche on Lake Superior caused the water level to fall and then rise again by three feet (one meter) within fifteen minutes, leaving some boats hanging from the docks on their mooring lines when the water retreated. The same storm system that caused the 1995 seiche on Lake Superior produced a similar effect in Lake Huron, in which the water level at Port Huron changed by six feet (1.8 m) over two hours. On Lake Michigan, eight fishermen were swept away and drowned when a 10-foot seiche hit the Chicago waterfront on June 26, 1954."

Water wants to kill us. All the time.

Monrovia, MD
Old 11-21-2010
Last Man Standing

Seriously fun day! Sun was shining. About 80 degrees. Winds 18 knots gusting to 25. Pure loveliness:

The best part was that on the way back in I was "racing" a First 30. We were on parallel starboard tacks (close reach) about 60' apart - and he was upwind. The problem was that he kept pushing me down which was stalling the rudder a bit. At first I wasn't sure why he was doing it. Eventually he passed me about 20' off my bow (due to the rudder acting as a brake). I then pushed back up into the wind and left him quickly behind because I could point 6-8 degrees higher than he could.

When were back in the slip having a beer, that Bene's crew walked by and I mentioned how fast they looked as they were passing us and shook my fist at them. The skipper just said, "Well, we might have been faster but we couldn't point nearly as high as you, and you're here waiting on us."

C-27s are freakin' sweet!

We also took our 7 yo nephew out for his first sail. We was all about the v-berth:

Great day!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Looks exellent Smack !
A C-27 doing anything better than a First has to be rewarding .

Looks like nephew found the softest driest lowest part of the boat to ride lol....