Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Dammit, Smack! It's 34 degrees here on Brigadoon. I've really wanted to go out all weekend but, there has been so much to do after moving on last week. So, the best I've had is BFW (20 or so from the south, shoving us against our end dock).

I'm glad you had a good time but I want to strangle you anyway.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2010
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Forget waves on Erie -- think seiches.

Such an event is not uncommon on Lake Huron in the Saginaw Bay. A strong persistant SW wind will blow the bay (Shallow) out and a strong NE brings a flood. My father told me of people collecting stranded fish in the bay when he was a child. The boat I raced from the mouth of the Saginaw River was hanging from the dock lines one race day - cancelled because most could not get out. The largest waves I have sailed on were off Sleeping Bear point diring the 1981 Mac race. Winds built NE all day to a peak of 70 Knots and held there for 7-1/2 hours. We made less than 3 knots into it and lost sight of the mast lights of nearby boats in the troughs. Several boats lost masts. 1/4 of the fleet dropped out in safe harbors. We estimated crest heights of around 30 feet with about 120 feet crest to crest.

We saw 18 footers at Muskegon in October with W to NW winds of 45 to 55 and a shorter fetch than in 1981. Waves at the Grand Haven harbor were breaking over the North light (36 feet) and also over the light house on the South wall (42 feet). In these conditions, you can neither enter or exit the harbor channels in most boats. The bore traveling into the channel will both throw boats over the wall and ground their keels. Even the Coast Guard stays home unless there is need for assistance. The two cross-lake ferries will also not venture out. On much of the West Michigan coast there is no where to run or hide if you are trapped by this situation. Only a few harbor entries such as Muskegon or Luddington have outer harbors defined by extended arms. If you can pass into the safe zone past the outer lights it becomes peaceful by about 200 yards up-river. We tried to exit Luddington with 12 footers comming in and almost fell short on power to buck the bore.
Old 11-26-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sorry Black. What can I say? Except...."Aaaaagggghhhikkk...." as you strangle me for spanking Bene Firsts on a beautiful fall day.

Nich - 120 feet from crest to crest??!?!?!?!?!?!? Holy crap that's sick! Are you running in the next Mac?

Who else is still sailing?

PS - I hear Napolean's pouting again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-27-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2010
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
The last I checked, the race committee had raised the do-dad quotient so high as to prevent us from entering. Our boat has been around the planet twice and the junk required & redundant junk is a cost of about 10 kilobucks over our blue-water cruising gear. Its like a government bureau. I'd love to race it & we have several friends who would go but we might just pick a destination and cruise. I did it once - nothing to prove.
Old 11-28-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Maaybe sailing racing saturday......trying to decide, sail/race, or setup up boat with xmas lights after a late saturday evening or early sunday 30 mile motor back from the start area. May have to see how the winds/weather will be this weekend. If low winds, skip race, as 35 miles is tough in less than 10 knots of wind, even if one has 13 or so hrs to do it in.

Or ski this weekend teaching.........hmmmmm....... joys of living in a reasonably mild climate area. Today would be a good day for a sail or golf!

Marty
Old 11-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. Dude, I'm having a hard seeing the downside of any of those options.

Big Freakin' Sail? Big Freakin' Ski? Nice.

Old 11-29-2010

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Here in the Northeast, no choice, it's Big Freakin' Ski time!
Old 11-29-2010

At this time, looks like we will be decorating the boat with lights etc sat, probably skiing sunday, or vise versa! The days have not been too bad either, might be a good time to get a round of 18 in too! no more sailing until after the new years with this lighting issue. could be worst I suppose!

Will see how we do with the BFL prizes saturday eve the 11th at the YC xmas party!

Marty
Old 12-02-2010
Last Man Standing

Raise your glasses to BubbleheadMD/Ajax! He's definitely a very cool BFS Proponent (and leader of the SailC class in the Global Regatta BTW).

From a bit of spanking from the safety patrol back in the day to the front page of SA:

Sailing Anarchy Home Page

I'd say you've done okay. And you're not even dead yet!

Congrats dude. I like your style...you BFS Proponent you.

Old 12-02-2010

I liked the pic in the top article, with the snow storm last week here in PS. Had gale winds with snow coming down. I saw a few boats out during the thanksgiving week. I personally did not get out, the getting out of my marina would have been as hairy as I had seen it, with the northerly gale pushing waves right into the entry in the 4-6' range, any screw ups going in or out, and into the break water you go!

Congrats bubblehead!

Marty