Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Smacky- I'm surprised to see you posting quotes from someone that preaches reefing, hiking, and sailing properly. This kinda flies in the face of most of our posts. WTF????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Valiente-

Was that a Princess Bride reference???
Yes. I tend to call any vertical rock cliff I see that's over 300 feet/100 metres tall "cliffs of insanity". The coastline of Portugal has some high spots, and is frequently vertical, but is only about half the height of that part of Ireland, and is "brighter" in the sense of being made of lighter-coloured rock.

Both will grind your boat to fragments quite effectively, however, and both are usually lee shores. Ireland has more long, fjord-like inlets.
Old 10-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
T - a fine job of spotting the trees, dude! Now let's have a look at the forest.

I thought threadnapping this particular post was appropriate for a couple of reasons:

First, as mentioned, it was the Seamanship thread dedicated to measuring the threshold of when a sailor refuses to go out. And that question, as I'm sure you'll agree, is often very closely related to BFS. So it caught my eye.

Second, this outsider's opinion of US sailing being "rather bizarre" certainly rang true with me. Yes, in the paragraph you glommed onto, she did in fact discuss pointing. Which, even I believe is actually a good thing when sailing. As is reefing and hiking in heavy conditions where you're getting close to being overpowered as she states. No argument at all. Ah - but here is the actual forest, T...

Thanks to the fine repertoire we've got going in BFS - and especially thanks to JohnP - we now actually know what that Beaufort dude was bandying about. Here's the definition:

Force 3: Gentle Breeze of 7-10 knots, large wavelets.

Now, DDG was apparently seeing a Potomac littered with sailors struggling to maintain a point of sail in 7-10 knots while being attacked by raging wavelets. And she asked why we were teaching to such poor standards in our sailing schools. Maybe you like to reef and hike in 7-10 because you have trouble maintaining POS - and maybe you advocate that as well (I don't know), she just thought it bizarre - as do I. So, I certainly don't see her "preaching" what you point out.

Then her father, who I will assume is the one who has been taking DDG sailing her whole life, runs into the bureaucratic catch-22, and has to stay on the hard rolling his eyes and laughing because of the clubs concern over 8-10 knots - which DDG correctly points out, is NOTHING. And she asks "Why such ignorance?"

Before we get to her last paragraph, I think what she has hit on is the very core of this whole strange debate of BFS - and the very reason so many newbies are mystified with the general attitude around us. For whatever reason, it seems that many sailors in the US (or at least here on Sailnet) are hyper-conservative about sailing to the point that the fun of it all is just dying away. It's become an academic exercise - an empirical right or wrong scenario. In fact, it's to the point where BFS is the "heresy" around here. And that should really make you stop and think. Which brings us to her last paragraph, and most salient I believe...

The actual heresy is the teaching of fear, over-complication and technicality instead of the adventure of actually sailing a boat, with the sails God gave it, in a good stiff breeze. We do waaaaaayyyyyyy too much of the former - and make the latter heresy. She was SPOT ON.

Her post was up for two days - and no one responded to it. Which is something I would expect around here. Unfortunately, now that I pointed it out she's taking a shot or two. Are you going to pile on T? Or are you going to go for a BFS?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Shut up! And I mean it! Anybody want a peanut?
Old 10-01-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Shut up! And I mean it! Anybody want a peanut?
Ya know Smak-a-doodal...You sound like the racing section over at SA...Like sailing is all out or nothing or your a dweeb and/or if it aint all out your not a sailor..That just plain wrong thinking...Like saying if you dont push the limits of your airplane your not a pilot..I like the gist of your thread... but dont care for the bashing of how some people just want a mellow sail around the bay and nothing more...Nothing wrong with that...My boat would sail like crap with its rail buried cuss Id be at 50+ degrees..where my little o'l Mac would bury her rail at 20 and the J24 at 30.

Guess Im not a sailor now with my new chosen boat huh?

I know... I'll glue on a new rail at 18" above water line ...every time it gets buried that will be a BFS...
Old 10-01-2008
Last Man Standing

Still - BFS is about fun and exciting sailing. Sailing that I (and virtually everyone) like to hear/talk about for just those reasons. It's the kind of sailing I aspire to - but, clearly, not the only way it's done. And that's fine. Personally, I'm just not as interested in mellow sailing - even as a newbie. It's just not as fun or interesting to me - either in practice or in narrative form. Although conditions often times dictate it.

What I do have a problem with is the smackdowns around here on people in various threads that do like big sailing and want to talk about it. We're continually told to go to SA. Why? Is Sailnet ONLY about mellow sailing?

There does seem to be a "my-way-or-the-SA" mentality around here - but more often than not it ain't us, dude.

Your question about whether you're a sailor or not is leftovers from FightClub. That's not the point here in BFS - and is the reason I started over. That's off the table. If you sail - you're a sailor. If you only like to sail mellow, you're a mellow sailor. Fine. No slams on that. But that too is not the point here in BFS.

Just don't get so offended if someone challenges that way of sailing. It's not the only way. That's just wrong thinking - right?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2008
Last Man Standing

Farmboy - Great BFS. I've not yet flown a spinnaker. I'm rigged for it but don't own one yet. I'll get there. It looks both fun and scary. Which is all the justification I need!

I'm still working on practicing the wing-on-wing. Any advice from you guys on what I can do with this technique to prep for sailing with a chute? Or is it a whole different ballgame?

Valiente - dude, awesome photos! Sounds like you had a nice sail. And the Ireland photo - wow! Did you take it? And have you sailed there? Jeez, I bet picnics and raft-ups are a biatch!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
There does seem to be a "my-way-or-the-SA" mentality around here - but more often than not it ain't us, dude.

hmmm.. dont spend much time in fight club..so will take your word on that..

I personally do not see the "my-way-or-the-SA" mentality around here" as you put it..In non Fight club threads...Not till you brought it up.

I think most of us enjoy brisk sailing and some even to a greater degree as could be called extreme sailing... you self proclaim to enjoy...I just see you starting to get testy with some of your comments that all..

I enjoy the stories as much as any and if I had a memory worth 2 cents could share a few too..I just dont remember things in the details like most seem to be able to do... all my sailing was 30+ years ago..but I have not forgot how to sail or got nervous about nothing regarding sailing...Shoot I just took a 40 footer out with 4 first timers and it was only the third time I had ever been on the boat... or any blow boat over 24 feet for that matter...

Thats the only reason I posted my video to your BFS thread because it definitely was a BFS for me...

Carry on...
Old 10-01-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Breeze in the twenties, lee shore and a spinnaker wrap while single handing - not a good combination.

Old 10-01-2008
Last Man Standing

Thanks Still. The testiness is just a bite-when-bitten kind of thing. As for the extreme sailing, I just like big. It's fun. And as I've said I'm still far, far from anything anyone would consider extreme. It's ALL BFS for me.

I'm glad you have that beauty in the water. And keep those BFS stories coming - before you forget them again!