Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I've mentioned this incredible lady in the Heavy Weather Sailing thread...but she belongs here as well since this thread gets a lot more traffic.

Jeanne Socrates - seriously gutsy sailor chick. She's on a solo-circ and was knocked down off Cape Horn sustaining some pretty heavy damage:

She's now in Ushuaia awaiting equipment to finish repairing her boat before continuing on.

She's keeping a great blog, and has been very generous in replying to emails. Check it out here:

Sailing Yacht Nereida - Ushuaia update 10

She's what it's all about. Go Jeanne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sailfow is predicting 15 to 20. Sun is shining. Upper 70s I'm outta here! Later suckas!
Old 03-17-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
hi smack...i am reading a book "Lake Superior Shipwrecks" by Dr. Julius F. Wolff Jr. over 3oo vessels lost, some with all hands in lake superior storms. over 1,000 persons lost their lives. gives you an idea how bad the weather can get.
Old 03-17-2011
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Not uncommon for straight line storms of 70 knots. Weather changes rapidly. Water is very cold even in June.
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

Okay, you guys, you win. The only boat that has ever been lost on Lake Travis was when some dude got wicked gacked at Carlos-n-Charlies and forgot which slip he'd left it in. We're no Gitchigumi.

However, it was kind of rockin' today. 15-20 with gusts to 25.

The only reason I'm putting this particular sail in this esteemed thread is that I actually tore the damn head sail again! And it's a Big Freakin' Sail! I had bungeed it down as we headed out and forgot about the bungee as we started to hoist. 2' of pain at the leech as one of the hooks grabbed. Thank goodness I had crew to sew it up...

Heh-heh.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

Okay - how about this bill and nichol? Tornado last summer that briefly touched down on the cliffs above the lake:

And me singing Gordon Lightfoot at the top of my lungs in the middle of it all...in my BFS cap of course...

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-17-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
mainsail halyard is a bit loose, or main is stretched, and you need to install a cunningham........

Nice day for a sail. When I went across Lk Washington on the floating bridges today, flat as a perverbial pancake, and Puget sound was pretty flat and little, some but very little wind when I walked Mr Winston and cleaned up the boat getting ready for the race sunday.

marty
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
mainsail halyard is a bit loose, or main is stretched, and you need to install a cunningham........

Nice day for a sail. When I went across Lk Washington on the floating bridges today, flat as a perverbial pancake, and Puget sound was pretty flat and little, some but very little wind when I walked Mr Winston and cleaned up the boat getting ready for the race sunday.

marty
I need a new main. Halyard is cranked - and I even have a cunningham (you can see the cringle about 6" above the boom), and IT'S cranked! She's just seriously bagged out and under a lot of pressure. I'll drop the dime on new sails at some point. I'm still saving for a coastal boat.

The good news is that the repaired bulkhead is as strong as ever.

Hope your wind is rockin' on Sunday. Bring home a pickle dish will ya?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Just a club race, so no pickle dishes to hand out. The next two weekends have pickle dish equals. This weekend, will be to see if I can beat dodenja in his 36' version of my boat, ie a CS, not a jeanneau, but same designer ie Castro. He does have about a minute on me.........maybe I can do something to the boat in the mean time......eheheheeheh....

But he knows where I am E52, and I know where he is E51........hmmmmmmm awful close by don't ya think?!?!?!???,
Old 03-18-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Smack, since when does going out in light breezes on a warm, sunny afternoon constitute as BFS? You’re setting the bar pretty low these days… What’s next? A BFS the next time you go over to the pump-out dock? To put it in context, Mrs B and I are sailing to San Francisco on Friday – only difference is our forecast is for rain in the morning turning to thunderstorms in the afternoon, winds from the south @ 20-30 kts and the afternoon high will be 60 degrees. And this doesn’t even elevate to a west coast BFS!