Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, since when does going out in light breezes on a warm, sunny afternoon constitute as BFS? You’re setting the bar pretty low these days… What’s next? A BFS the next time you go over to the pump-out dock? To put it in context, Mrs B and I are sailing to San Francisco on Friday – only difference is our forecast is for rain in the morning turning to thunderstorms in the afternoon, winds from the south @ 20-30 kts and the afternoon high will be 60 degrees. And this doesn’t even elevate to a west coast BFS!
Hey you bastard! I DID go to the pump-out dock yesterday too. I just don't have the pics!

Actually, thank you (potentially) for saving the thread from a rapid decline in expectations. So let's see some pics from your little sub-BFS afternoon sail today...then we'll talk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Finally!!!! The season's first BFS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, has the BFS thread faded from the scene? Is this thread taking over? We are back from our very soggy trip to San Francisco’s South Beach last weekend. Two major storms rolled through in the span of three days. On Friday, we had to wait for a lull (15kts) to back out from our slip. Fortunately, we didn’t have a jib already bent on so we were able to run up our Dacron blade in the rain and we tucked in two reefs at the dock. We had sustained winds in the mid twenties with gusts to the mid thirties when crossing the South Bay and with the winds from the south and the 30+ NM fetch, needless to say, we had our share of nasty slop. The moon’s perigee this weekend contibuted for some nasty current action at the entrance to South Beach and plenty of surge action while we were docking. Saturday’s storm was even more intense with winds gusting into the upper forties and heavy rain (I have new found respect for those who sit out hurricanes.) If you read today’s ‘lectronic latitiude, you will see that there were multiple sinkings on the Bay. A few headsails and a lot of canvas work was shreaded in South Beach. Sunday was the best day of the weekend insomuch that it was a series of squalls that marched through and although we saw some build into anvils, no thunderstorms. We got real lucky that for the most part, squals went by us on either side allowing for our jib and main to dry out from Friday’s drenching. We were able to get everything down before Alameda got hit by a squall so we didn’t have to dry out sails in our garage. All-in-all a pretty nice trip – the folks at SBYC couldn’t have been nicer and we got to hear a lot about the preparations for the next America’s Cup. So, when I go to the pump-out dock next weekend, do I write about that here or in the BFS thread?
The rest of us just suck apparently.

Old 03-21-2011

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Just wait. The Northeast sailing season is coming shortly!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011
Last Man Standing

Another Westie rates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Well smack,

My sail yesterday was probably a BFS. Looked up wind speeds at the marina, they were in the 30-35 range from 11am to 3pm, 3-5 was 25-30. Being as the race started about 12:05, finished about 3:20..... I guess we were out when race specs say no racing with sustained winds over 22mh! eeps, I guess that is why the two most recent FC;s of club were out, no one else but the C&C that tried to sail with a full main, and a rollerreefed genoa. He had NO reefs in that thing! Could not believe it.

Oh well, not to go look at some tide charts to see if I can find a current at the buoy........We did 1st in division and 2nd overall, then again, the 2n OA was dead last too!LOLOL

marty
Twins - you Easties better hurry up and bring it!

Old 03-30-2011
Last Man Standing

I ran across this over at SA. It's just too cool to ignore...

BFS - Russian Winter Style...

Old 03-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Smack, ya wanna BFS, come with me to deliver Seasmoke to Sydney this coming Fall, if it goes through...

Old 03-30-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Smack, ya wanna BFS, come with me to deliver Seasmoke to Sydney this coming Fall, if it goes through...
Do you mean Sydney, BC? Or do you mean Sydney/Sydney? Since the BC version has an "i" - I'm thinking you mean AUS.

HOLY CRAP! Really??

Old 03-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yep, really...

Old 03-30-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Thought I was out there volunteering for that Greece to South of France gig.
Fell through as the skipper didn,t make a decision over 5 days so mi pulled out.
If your going make sure you have net access, otherwise who,s gona make the big calls.
Safe long haul sailing.

Last edited by centaursailor; 03-30-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Do you mean Sydney, BC? Or do you mean Sydney/Sydney? Since the BC version has an "i" - I'm thinking you mean AUS.

HOLY CRAP! Really??
Pack your seabag, Smack. It's time to walk the walk. Think of the street cred. you'l earn.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.