Smack, since when does going out in light breezes on a warm, sunny afternoon constitute as BFS? You’re setting the bar pretty low these days… What’s next? A BFS the next time you go over to the pump-out dock? To put it in context, Mrs B and I are sailing to San Francisco on Friday – only difference is our forecast is for rain in the morning turning to thunderstorms in the afternoon, winds from the south @ 20-30 kts and the afternoon high will be 60 degrees. And this doesn’t even elevate to a west coast BFS!
Hey you bastard! I DID go to the pump-out dock yesterday too. I just don't have the pics!
Actually, thank you (potentially) for saving the thread from a rapid decline in expectations. So let's see some pics from your little sub-BFS afternoon sail today...then we'll talk.
Smack, has the BFS thread faded from the scene? Is this thread taking over? We are back from our very soggy trip to San Francisco’s South Beach last weekend. Two major storms rolled through in the span of three days. On Friday, we had to wait for a lull (15kts) to back out from our slip. Fortunately, we didn’t have a jib already bent on so we were able to run up our Dacron blade in the rain and we tucked in two reefs at the dock. We had sustained winds in the mid twenties with gusts to the mid thirties when crossing the South Bay and with the winds from the south and the 30+ NM fetch, needless to say, we had our share of nasty slop. The moon’s perigee this weekend contibuted for some nasty current action at the entrance to South Beach and plenty of surge action while we were docking. Saturday’s storm was even more intense with winds gusting into the upper forties and heavy rain (I have new found respect for those who sit out hurricanes.) If you read today’s ‘lectronic latitiude, you will see that there were multiple sinkings on the Bay. A few headsails and a lot of canvas work was shreaded in South Beach. Sunday was the best day of the weekend insomuch that it was a series of squalls that marched through and although we saw some build into anvils, no thunderstorms. We got real lucky that for the most part, squals went by us on either side allowing for our jib and main to dry out from Friday’s drenching. We were able to get everything down before Alameda got hit by a squall so we didn’t have to dry out sails in our garage. All-in-all a pretty nice trip – the folks at SBYC couldn’t have been nicer and we got to hear a lot about the preparations for the next America’s Cup. So, when I go to the pump-out dock next weekend, do I write about that here or in the BFS thread?
My sail yesterday was probably a BFS. Looked up wind speeds at the marina, they were in the 30-35 range from 11am to 3pm, 3-5 was 25-30. Being as the race started about 12:05, finished about 3:20..... I guess we were out when race specs say no racing with sustained winds over 22mh! eeps, I guess that is why the two most recent FC;s of club were out, no one else but the C&C that tried to sail with a full main, and a rollerreefed genoa. He had NO reefs in that thing! Could not believe it.
Oh well, not to go look at some tide charts to see if I can find a current at the buoy........We did 1st in division and 2nd overall, then again, the 2n OA was dead last too!LOLOL
Thought I was out there volunteering for that Greece to South of France gig.
Fell through as the skipper didn,t make a decision over 5 days so mi pulled out.
If your going make sure you have net access, otherwise who,s gona make the big calls.
Safe long haul sailing.