Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I felt bad that their Tuscan chef was unable to cook, and they had to settle for "basic foods."

Oh, the humanity!
No kidding. That just goes to show how solid these guys were. Freakin' epic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Here's a good BFS story from an Eastie from the "I got caught in a squall today" thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajhnsn View Post
Coming down the Chesapeake last year from the C & D canal found us in steady 30's out of the west for about 5 hours. Gusts were in the 40's and we had a max reading in the 50's. Luckily it was a beam reach so we could go with a single reefed main and 25% of the 135% jib. The problem was that if we sailed too low we were beam to the waves, and if we sailed too high we healed too much and the sails took a beating. We were able to find a happy medium, only taking an occasional wave over the side. We hand steered most of the time because we could not rely on the auto pilot. The boat handled it with some shuttering from time to time. I recommended after the first hour that we duck in and wait it out but the crew wanted to keep going, even after getting a few of those waves down the back. After a period of time the initial fears of the "what ifs" went away because the boat and crew were able to handle the situation. We made sure that there was a lot of communication before any changes were made. I don't know how I would have done this without crew. I'm not sure if my auto pilot would have handled it. For me single handing would only be in the best of conditions, even then I can't figure how to get this 35 Oday back into the slip without damaging my ego and perhaps other boats.

Old 05-12-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Had a BFS tonight, along with some red badges of honor....

nailed the start of a race, about a minute later, ran aground.....

got free with in a minute or so, retook my lead with in 3 minutes or so.....

Realize the rivets holding the vang link to the boom are busted.....no vang in 15-25 knot of wind.....hmmmmm......probably happened during the grounding.......

redid 110 sheets to a different set of leads, gained half a knot of boat speed!

First in fleet around the mark, decide to fly the chute......

Have some issues setting it, get knocked down, water (GREEN mind you) coming in cockpit, winches on the top of cabin top are buried, had no idea where the leeward life lines are, water 2" from going into cabin area......boat rights itself....

look around, everyone still on board, get spin in control, head off down wind at 8 something knots, hit 9.15 surfing the waves. not bad for a boat with a 24.5' WL hull speed of about 6.6-6.8! Manage to gybe the spin, main sail etc, few issues getting things up and running, but NO knock downs! finish before dark, 15 mile course in 2 hrs...... first in division.... not sure how we did with handicap as of yet.......oh yeah, beat deodenda/david with his new to him, faster than my boat.......

well any way, time to finish my henri's rb, eat some IC, hit the sack...

oh yeah, one crew I keep telling, put a wrap or two around the winch when letting a halyard loose.....

dinglesnort lets spin halyard loose in 15-20 knots, no wraps on winch......yep......blister on all finners! as the line went running out on him!

Oh well, if it could wrong, it did, go right, it did. major BFS tonight!

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 05-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2011
Last Man Standing

Very nice Bluto!!!! Coming back from a spin slap to win the division!?!?!? That's some sailing dude!

Did you smell bacon when dingle fried his hand?

Old 05-13-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
We smelled lots o bacon! I kept telling him to wrap the winch when letting a halyard down! what did he not do, learned the hardway!

The spin flop/knockdown was the halfway point of the race, we were in the lead, the grounding we went from first to 2nd, the back to first and never let up with out tooooo much issues, but we were stopeed for 30-60 secs or so before the wind blew us sideways along with bodies on the leeward side to get moving into deeper water. I found out From David, a boat on our dock also grounded in about the same spot, altho they sat there a bit longer.

Marty
Old 05-22-2011
Sailing fool!!!

headcaseracer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to headcaseracer
I have noticed that the BFS in Lake Michigan is a lot different than in salt. It's harder to get a big sail in Freshwater. When we first came here from North Carolina, we went out into Lake Michigan from South Haven. Winds were 15 kts and waves were 6 inches. It was perfect until we got about two miles out and the sky turned black with flashes. We turned around (as we do have at least two brain cells and know sailing and lightning isn't the best combination). Needless to say, we didn't beat the weather. So I donned my hurricane suit. It took us about an hour to get out and half hour to get back. 40 kt winds had us heeled over so the sails were brushing the water. People were jumping out of their cars to take pictures and running for cover after they took the pic. We were on the north side of the inlet with the wind gauge almost touching the other pier. We were having a great time even though the people taking pictures looked pretty shocked.
Old 05-22-2011
Last Man Standing

Welcome to SN headcase. And welcome to the BFS thread.

Now if you tell me you sailed her into the slip in those conditions with the paparazzi pluggin' away...I'll build a shrine in your honor.

Nice work on bringing her home, dude.

Old 05-23-2011
Sailing fool!!!

Unfortunately the channel in SH doesn't allow me to sail all the way in. It blocks the wind and there's an inconvenient drawbridge. The tender did open for us that day though when he saw us screaming back in, even though it wasn't time.
Old 05-23-2011
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
The problem with places like Grand Haven is that the harbor entry is protected by two long parallel sea walls. If the wind happen to be big for a long enough time and directly in line with the channel you will not get in or out. I have photos of 8 to 12 footers doing this at Grand Haven. The water spills over the top of the break water walls and forms a continuously breaking wave that may run up channel for over a hundred yards. Coast Guard won't even attempt it. You will be stuck in the lake seeking an alternate harbor if this happens.
Old 05-23-2011
Sailing fool!!!

Nicholson- you're right. It does that in South Haven too. The interesting thing is that the lake was super small (6" waves, yes inches) before this flash storm hit. After it hit, it got big. We had a blast. We'd love for it to be like that. High winds and low seas...but we know that doesn't happen very often. We've seen boats try to go out when the channel is big and watch the whole boat shake as it hits the bottom in the trough of the wave.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.