Remember you're a womble
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sidney, BC
Thanked 63 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Not much of a BFS by some of you guy's standards, but for a someone in their first full season with a boat, pretty big for me.
Anyway, took a work colleague sailing after work. Wind was fairly decent, had been around 9-10 knots all day, and at 4pm it had dropped down to about 6. Forecast was for a little over 5 going into the evening so thought it would be a fairly gentle wander around. Anyway, get out of the office there's definitely more than 5 or 6 knots happening. Called the Admiral on the way to boat to see if there was an updated reading, sure enough up around 10 knots again, with the forecast still for it to tail right off. Being the sort that never trusts a forecast round here, I put a reef in the main and hanked on the 135 genoa.
Get out of the harbour, turn us into wind and start getting the main sorted out. Reef point promptly drops off the rams horn, workmate goes forward to get that sorted. So far so good, get the main up, tell him to take the tiller and keep us to the wind so I can sort out the rest of the reef. Engine promptly splutters and dies. Anyway, get him to let it turn off the wind to get some speed up and we eventually get the main done.
By this time we were running just under main at 5 knots, which was pretty fun. Got the genoa up as well and then spent a good 90 minutes haring around, wind gusting and putting us on our ear at times, rode some of them, headed up for some and let the main for others, depending on how I felt but always under control. Great sail around, hit 6.65knots through the water, and 6.9 over land at one point, which isn't bad for a boat with a 20ft waterline!
Anyway, got back in with little trouble, checked the weather and turns out it had been a sustained 16 knots, with gusts to 20 (edit - actually 33kph sustained which is just shy of 18, so must have been gusting to early 20s!). Glad I put that first reef in or it would have been a bit of a handful.
So, not much of a BFS as far as it goes, but the highest winds I've had my boat out in, and considering I was the most experienced on board, that makes it a BFS in my book.
Oh and the motor quit just as we entered the slip too. I gotta get the idle speed upped a touch!
1974 C&C27 MkII
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by PaulinVictoria; 06-23-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Reason: Just rechecked wind speeds