Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nicely done Paul...

a hint... take a piece of shock cord, tie it to your gooseneck area somehow and fashion an eye that just stretches over the 'rams horn'. You can make it double ended so you've got one for each hook. Then when you place the reef tack over the hook, loop the shock cord over it too, that will keep the cringle from falling off the hook before you get enough luff tension to keep it there.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look and figure something out. I think I've got a couple of the old shock cord sail ties that might do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
...So, not much of a BFS as far as it goes, but the highest winds I've had my boat out in, and considering I was the most experienced on board, that makes it a BFS in my book.
It is ABSOLUTELY A BFS!!!!! You just came through conditions that were harrier than you'd ever faced before. And you did a great job of it...and had fun!!! That's what BFS is all about baby!

As a matter of fact, go register on bfsshop.com and I'll set you up to get a free sticker. This one's on me.

Nice work Paul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-24-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Sweet, nice one Smack, all signed up. Some pretty nice gear on there too, when I've earned a few more BFS points, I'll direct the family to get me some crap off there

Old 06-30-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay Paul. After overcoming A FREAKIN' MAIL EMBARGO BETWEEN THE US AND CANADA!!!! (What the hell????)

...your coveted BFS stickers (yes two of them my friend) are on their merry way. Flaunt them proudly. You deserve them dude!

Now is big sailing the sh%& or what? Speaking of, I think I need to ship a stick to the Bumfuzzles. Those cats is hardcore!

Old 07-01-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Nice write up smack,

I just had to look up this write up to see how things went. Sounds like a great introduction to Mother Ocean! Now that you put your big toe in the water to test the pool. You just have to jump right in, and see the real pleasures. Lake sailing can be wicked, but nothing replaces Mother Ocean. It can be frustrating, exhilarating, and sometime just out right scary!

RTB completely understands not wanting to give up the helm. He kept a watch all night long with the influence of adreneline. Fortunately I woke up to get my sunrise shift, my favorite.

As far as meeting me? Well I am saving that 300ft. of teak rubrail for you. Along with another 90ft. of toerail.! BEST WISHES on getting another M.O. sail ride soon. Hopefully you will get some bigger wind next time, and the experience that goes with it.

I think we have finally found crew, and if not. I will be leaving without crew soon, except for my little brown love, aka Melanie! She's like my flea. She goes where ever this old dog goes..........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-bahamas.jpg  

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 07-01-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Smile Bfs

Ok so about 6 weeks ago we are on the East coast of Palawan Island, Philippines, the last frontier as they call it. We are nearing the end of a 1 year voyage around the top of Borneo and the Western part of the Philippines. Beautiful cruising, lazy days at anchor, blue skys, plenty of fish, cold beer, friendly natives. very, very few cruising boats here. We have not anchored with another boat for about 6 weeks. So any way, day sailing on and off the anchor to the next anchorage, easy cruising. Our departure down the So China sea coming up, no specific date, just gotta be ahead of the upcoming cyclone season and catch the last of the NE Monsoon. So one day were checking out our next anchorage and don't like what we see....time to move on South? Sure, we turn 90 degrees West, just like that and head off for the 1000 mile journey. First gotta get out of these coral infested waters into the Palawan Passage, about 60 miles, easy does it, slow and sure, picking our way through the shallows, charts off, max sea off, MKII eyeball, depth sounder spot on. Whew, out into the Palawan passage, light breezes, 10 knots or less, pleasant sailing, light ship traffic, No AIS, radar, or any electronic ********, MK II eyeballs working 100 %. Now have to parrelell the "dangerous ground", disputed area of China, Philippines, Malaysia, adds 120 miles to our passage, no worries, still gentel breezes, we sleep by day, drifting along, eating our fresh fruit, baking bread, making pizza's and a little whoopie too. Now at the bottom of the "dangerous ground" back on our rhumb line, have not started the engine for 7 days, winds getting lighter as we get closer to the equator, my gal saying this is really nice, don't start the engine...we drift along, 54 miles for the day. Now down to 1 knot or less, getting some rolling seas so we motor at night for a few days....sleep in the day, gentle sailing, no wind over 12 knots for 11 days. we arrive back in Tioman Island after a years voyage....

Not sure if that's what your after, but my BFS story for the day.
Cheers,

Matt
Old 07-01-2011
Last Man Standing

i2 - you're doing it right my man! And you've got a beauty of a wife to boot. Stay in touch on your travels. When you get back up to SF I'll bring my sander and some beers.

Matt - very nice story. Sounds like big freakin' sailing to me...especially this part:

Quote:
China, Philippines, Malaysia, adds 120 miles to our passage, no worries, still gentel breezes, we sleep by day, drifting along, eating our fresh fruit, baking bread, making pizza's and a little whoopie too.
Dude, what's not to like????

Old 07-22-2011

dub420sailor is on a distinguished road
not sure if BFS or boat handling...

Took out my friend's Hunter 25 a few weeks ago. Wind was between 15 and 20 kts, seas 5-6 feet with periods of 4 seconds. Both of us are new to keelboat sailing and weren't too sure as to the stability of the steering (felt like there was some play in the tiller) so we went out with a reef in the jib and a reef in the main. Went out a few miles but we were only making 3.5 knots... Didn't seem like enough power to get through the chop (alot of breaking waves) but taking a reef out seemed like it would provide too much power... We were no where near having the rail in the water, but I didn't want to get too close since the waves on our port tack were rolling the boat enough to put it in a few times due to the angle we were taking on the swells. The lack of power made tacking difficult as we kept getting blown into irons, but we played it safe and left the reef in, surfed her back into the inlet and shook the reef out for the return trip to the mooring.

Had a blast and learned a bit, especially that I wanted more solid steering in those conditions, but I'm curious what would you guys do? Power up and play the main and traveler or leave it be?
Old 07-22-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub420sailor View Post
Had a blast and learned a bit,
Definitely BFS dub. Nicely done!

As for feedback - 15 knots is just about the sweet spot on my C27 with a full 150 and full main. 20 starts to ask for a reef. I honestly don't know what that translates to on an H25. I've sailed an H30 a couple of times, but in pretty mild conditions. It didn't seem too tender...but again, I don't know.

It seems to me that if you were too slow to deal with the chop, you had some room for more sail. However, if those waves were breaking (instead of capping) - then that explains the difficulty.

A SN salt and hell of a guy, CharlieCobra, taught me how to deal with gusts using the traveler and main sheet...seeing and easing in the puffs. That lesson alone let me sail in bigger winds.

Apart from the squirrelly steering on that Hunter, you're not going to get blown over in 20 knots. You just need to work the main controls to keep your speed. And that speed will help you power through the chop.

That's my feedback - but remember, I'm still learning just like you. So take it for what it's worth.

And keep sailing dude!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-22-2011 at 07:36 PM.