Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we managed to get hit north of cabo san lucas by 60+ kts winds in may, around may 15th---and got the brick up to 8+ kts under jib n jigger, both reefed----glad i thunk of that before we left isla cedros-- was a good call as winds pick up here suddenly ..boat handled it fine. also glad i was sailing in those danged storms in g.o.m--- the high winds inside em were a good learning experience.....was looking forward to having more of same after we left cabo --stopped for fuel before crossing sea of cortez-- zero wind less than 1 hour after the 60+ kts just north of us!!
if you have a teak taff rail-- do NOT prevent your mizzen to it--it WILL break....now i prevent to a hawse .....is strong.
I have a friend... On another board... That likes to prevent his main on the lifelines. He also likes to chain his boat to the dock. Yes. I'm serious. CRAZY! Chain for dock lines? It happens. I love the Internet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
preventing to lifelines is nutz... this woulda ripped em out, too....was FUN!!! the noise of the teak rail breaking was impressive!

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 09-23-2011
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
preventing to lifelines is nutz... this woulda ripped em out, too....was FUN!!! the noise of the teak rail breaking was impressive!
Youre a good man Zee! I was making a joke about a post on another site...

Nice story... BFS'rs love to see pics. But damn it's hard to have the nerve to pull out a camera at that time. Look at that wind in tjk vid! Crazy! I don't think I would have had the nerve to make a vid. He made sure everyone was safe first then took out his camera.... Cool.

I need to make BFS vids... Not just pics... Go TIM!

I love
Old 09-23-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i'm a gurlee.....didnt have time to get the camera--was asleep when it woke me up and was darkness--awesome sailing tho--i never did get back to sleep! had a really good crewman to help sail her the 1250 miles from ensenada to mazatlan. awesome trip. wish i did have pix of that good wind section-- woulda been awesome!

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 09-24-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Sorry Smacker, certainly not a BFS, but a nice quiet day heading to the sandhills.

http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ter2011073.mp4

Last edited by St Anna; 09-24-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Smack,
We were intending on heading up the coast this weekend but weather intervened. Spent Saturday evening/Sundy at anchor, bucketing down, miserable bloody weather, nothing to do but eat drink nap read. Maybe no BFS but it was not all that hard to take at all.
A

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's funny, I, my wife, and our two boys went to the boat today for a sail. The wind was absolutely perfect at 15 knots. From the northeast - so perfect for the GR course run. I was excited. I'd challenged the boys to turn the boat over to them to see if they could get it from point A to B. And they were ready.

But, we got there and were screwed. Our marina had been pushed out into the lake because the water level has dropped so much due to the drought. The result was that we were stuck in our slip. There were rocks literally 25 feet off our stern, with the wind pushing us right into them. No way to back out a 27 footer.

So, why am I posting in BFS? Simple, my wife and I sat in the cockpit, drinking D&S's while the boys swam, and talked seriously about springing for the "coastal boat" and spending some time in the islands. Big hurdle overcome.

Sailing has become a real part of our lives as a family. We all love it. And it doesn't get bigger than that.

I love this whole sailing thing. IMUSO, it's life's best privilege....bar none.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Sorry Smacker, certainly not a BFS, but a nice quiet day heading to the sandhills.

Rushcutter2011073.mp4 video by saintanna - Photobucket
Dude, that was beautiful. Video like that deserves it's own category. It's freakin' awesome.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
First iPhone post!

Heading west across the bay from love point to Magothy river!

SINGLEHANDING!!!

Reefed main! FULL JIB BABY!

20ish kts gusts

17 steady

More pics to follow!
Craig, my friend, you sail. Nuff said.

Old 09-25-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Not exactly bfs as,we were bare poles at the time.
I posted this video on the thunderstorm thread about a month ago.
Not sure I can embed it while posting from my phone.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Holy crap dude! I'd say that definitely rates.

SN! Pay attention! These are the guys that can throw down!

Old 09-25-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
we managed to get hit north of cabo san lucas by 60+ kts winds in may, around may 15th---and got the brick up to 8+ kts under jib n jigger, both reefed----glad i thunk of that before we left isla cedros-- was a good call as winds pick up here suddenly ..boat handled it fine. also glad i was sailing in those danged storms in g.o.m--- the high winds inside em were a good learning experience.....was looking forward to having more of same after we left cabo --stopped for fuel before crossing sea of cortez-- zero wind less than 1 hour after the 60+ kts just north of us!!
if you have a teak taff rail-- do NOT prevent your mizzen to it--it WILL break....now i prevent to a hawse .....is strong.
Zee - I'd love to see some pics when you get a chance. You are my hero.