Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow! I go racing for a few days and come back to see some great BFSs! Very nice!

Let's see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
I have a dinghy capsize story where I could have died of hypothermia induced drowning... does this count?

It was 70 degrees one day in March. I had to get out on the water. I got to the harbor at Liberty State Park, where I often launched my dinghy, and it really blowing, prob 20 knots....
Oh yeah!

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyGurl View Post
The day I went to sea trial my current boat the wind was in the low 20's and the fella I was buying from never sailed in this weather. So I went alone and tested her out, while out the wind was still on the rise so I was able to also test out the roller furl boom (which did not work due to lazy Jacks) and managed a sail change in 6+ foot rollers from the 135 to the working jib.
Soon the wind was really howling and I made my way in on just the working jib and doused main. Come to find out wind was gusting upwards of 50 mph and still rising...
Oh hell yeah! Wow!

It's so cool to read others' stories of their big sails. Thanks fellas. And keep them coming!

I'm working on my race write-up - complete with pics. I'll have it soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-18-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Here's the throwdown for my recent off-shore race: the "2011 Harvest Moon Regatta"...

Hot sailing chicks, killer starts, downwind agonies, oil rig crashes, shrimp boat disasters, Titmouse Tartar, huge freakin' fish flying all over the place, failing electrical systems, free booze, incredible food, hookers, and much more...

2011 HMR Throwdown

I'm am seriously hooked on this off-shore stuff!!!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Hey Steve, nice report and fun to read. I'm glad you lucked out and found a spot on Blame it on Buffett. Nice boat...and a skipper that cooks real food. NICE!

If you haven't seen Morning Light, the Disney movie anout the TransPac, I believe you'd enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Hey Steve, nice report and fun to read. I'm glad you lucked out and found a spot on Blame it on Buffett. Nice boat...and a skipper that cooks real food. NICE!

If you haven't seen Morning Light, the Disney movie anout the TransPac, I believe you'd enjoy it.
Thanks Ralph. It was a blast. I can't wait to do more.

I've seen Morning Light. It was pretty well done. I wish there was more content of that type out there. I'll see what I can do about that.

So who else had a BFS this season? I need to add another throwdown soon!

Old 10-24-2011
Last Man Standing

You don't have to go far to find a BFS. Just ask CapnBill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
Some of the blue water debate centers around the assumtion that you will run into worse conditions "out there".

I can attest that is not neccessarily so. I have run into some serious sh(*& just 10 miles away from land. I sincerely hope it doesn't get worse further out.

I have rarely gone out past the continental shelf, and have encountered deep stacked seas, high winds, horizontal hailstones the size of pebbles, etc...

The second assumption is that if it gets bad you can always go back in, that not a safe assumption either. Often in Texas the storms form in a line hugging the coast. If your more than 10 miles out you might as well stay there, because you have to cross the line to get back in, and the size of the breaking waves I have seen at the mouth of the jetties would make any attempt to enter, pure suicide, and docking in high winds is no picnic either even if you did somehow manage to enter the bay.

SO that coastal cruiser had better be able to take at least a moderate storm on short notice. And best be able to ride out a period of bad weather in open water, or it would never be safe to leave the bay.

I have left in the morning with a clear day no clouds in sight, a high pressure system and the last cold front passed over, ...suddenly reversed and came back bringing a line of severe thunderstorms along the coast, a few hours later it is pitch dark, just before noon, and huge rolling waves followed by scattered lightening strikes some less than a boat length away, followed by a deluge of rain, and hailstones the size of pebbles hitting my face propelled by 60+ mile an hour winds, the waves are breaking in sheets, deluging the boat, I don't know what will sink the boat first the pouring waves, or the piles of hailstones on deck. Or if it will simply break into pieces as it is repeatedly picked up, tossed, then a sickening drop, crashing into the face of the next wave followed by another wall of water crashing over the boat.

And that is just 10-20 miles from "safety". a few hours of that, and I seriously thought of moving to Kansas and becoming a farmer.

Well the boat made it, even though it was only a production coastal cruiser, and I lived through it also, although with a new found heathy respect for the pounding a little thunderstorm can give you only a "stones throw" from land.

Old 10-26-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Great writeup Smack! I love that you caught some fish on the way home.

"It was about this time that we noticed a gaggle of 4-5 seductively dressed, silicone laden, high-heeled ladies starting to work their way through the crowd."

Lol where are the pics of this?
Old 10-26-2011
Last Man Standing

Heh-heh. You know, the typical...

I coulda used those stockings for my mackerel.

Old 10-26-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
lol I'd eat anything I caught in those stockings...
Old 10-26-2011

steveg353 is on a distinguished road
Great story Smackman.
The whole derelict, non-illuminated, offshore rig thing gives me the shivers...even more than the blonde in the red top above (I hope she is not someones sister on here). Standpipes sticking out just above (or below) the surface is scary stuff. It is hard to believe companies get away with that. I guess you move forward as in a small aircraft with B.S.T. in mind. That's "Big Sky Theory" or Big Sea Theory in this application.
Any how, thanks for the write-up and pics. We hope to make the H.M.R. as we get our boat and ourselves better prepared in the future.
Old 10-26-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg353 View Post
Great story Smackman.
The whole derelict, non-illuminated, offshore rig thing gives me the shivers...even more than the blonde in the red top above (I hope she is not someones sister on here). Standpipes sticking out just above (or below) the surface is scary stuff. It is hard to believe companies get away with that. I guess you move forward as in a small aircraft with B.S.T. in mind. That's "Big Sky Theory" or Big Sea Theory in this application.
Any how, thanks for the write-up and pics. We hope to make the H.M.R. as we get our boat and ourselves better prepared in the future.
Thanks dude. As for the rigs, they definitely made a believer out of me on the whole radar thing. And again, they're worse closer in (10-15 miles) than they are farther out. In any case BST is right on. But the other thing is....you're moving very slowly relative to any vehicle on earth (it is a sailboat after all) - so you just have to be vigilant.

As for doing the HMR...if I can find a ride, anyone can find a ride. Just start poking around a few months before the races and stay with it. Doing it in your own boat will require a great deal of prep and cash. If I recall both the HMR and the RTB are ISAF/ORC Cat 2 races (which makes me an official ORC racer you know, heh-heh) - so the boats have to be fully equipped and ready to rock. The crew thing gets you out there in just about the cheapest way possible.

Like I said, this off-shore race thing is just about the most fun thing I've ever done. You gotta get some!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-29-2011 at 08:11 PM.