Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg353 View Post
It is hard to believe companies get away with that.
Well the problem is, Steve, we have too much job killing regulation in this country. If we just let the private market regulate itself...

You know offhand of any good beginner accessible offshore races up by me in New Jersey smack? You're becoming a little bit of an inspiration, maybe I'll be a biter and try and crew one this spring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Pete - there's a really cool guy around here named Tommays. Look him up and send him a pm. He races quite a bit in your general area. He could probably point you in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-30-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Nice writing smack! You must be a real kick in the pants? I don't get the racing thing, been there & done that. I do get the ocean thing. It's like being in the arms of Mother Nature. Sometimes she's in a foul mood, and other times she's all lovey dovey.

Your writing makes me wish my batten will get here, so I can go for a sail. BEST WISHES on getting in some more ocean time........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 10-30-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
One always remember their first one, eh ! Here's my BFS.
TALL SHIP THANE'S FIRST VOYAGE

It's a a dark and stormy night. The kind of night where you are glad to be in a snug anchorage, feet before a glowing fireplace, Appleton's in hand, with time enough to reminisce about past adventures. This particular reminiscence goes back to the summer of 1977 when the ketch 'THANE' departed Victoria harbor on her first voyage to Desolation Sound. Five years previously, I'd found a 40 foot modified Spray hull under an apple tree in Saanich. This strongly constructed but unfinished project had been idle for some ten years, but the yellow cedar had weathered it well. I traded my Chevy station wagon and with limited budget and lots of energy built what became my home for the next thirty years. As THANE cast off from Fisherman's Wharf, she was well canvassed with new tan bark sails and well rigged with stout spars and homemade teak blocks. Her anchor gear consisted of one forty pound Forfiord, 4 fathoms of Ĺ chain and sixty fathoms of ĺ nylon braid. The electrics were a 60/60 flashing sounder, a hand held spotlight and a light in the galley. Oil compass and running lights completed the equipment list. Twenty tons of hopes and dreams towed by a 10ft lap strake dingy with oars past Shoal Point at 6:30 in the morning of July 19. I pulled strongly while Elaine, my partner, took the helm. We soon caught a bit of westerly and worked our way out of the harbour. Two tacks and we're past the breakwater. Ha! Think I, not bad for a gaffer. As long as there is wind we can go anywhere. We cleared Discovery Island in good form and then passed it again going west on the ebbing tide. The third pass was good as the wind picked up. Apart from falling asleep in the sunshine, the only event was finding my fishing line had caught a C.P.R.(Canadaian Pacific Railway) coffee mug by the handle. As the sun set, we drifted into Open Bay on Henry Island and set anchor for the first night away from the dock. At daybreak I rowed out into Haro Straight to catch the westerly, which didn't show. The big drift again but with freighters and tug and barges thrown in. Finally back at Discovery Island the wind materialized and we had the best sail yet. Turn Point at seven knots and on up Boundry Pass only to be becalmed again. I jumped into the dingy to tow THANE to the west end of Java Islets where we anchored in about 10 fathoms, lots of current and a constant roll from big traffic in the Straights.

The next morning we weighed anchor and headed east. Finally at Bedwell Harbor, the wind came up in earnest and allowed us some headway. After an uneventful day of dodging freighters and rowing to avoid Plumper Sound, sunset found us somewhere past Saturna Island in the lower Straights of Georgia. It's hard to say where for sure because of the mist which accompanied the very light southeasterly.

Using the smoke from the compass light gave me an idea of wind direction and a mop held over the side determined if we were making headway. It was a long night, frequently flashing my spotlight on the masthead to alert passing traffic. If nervous tension could be harnessed we would have boxed the compass much more quickly. However, all things pass and by dawn we had a nice 10-15 knot SE, and a fix on Entrance Island light. It was satisfying to allow Thane to steer herself on a quartering breeze and romp across to Gibson's where we rounded up and anchored near the Government dock that afternoon. Both Elaine and I grew up on the Sunshine Coast. I'd gone to school and taught high school at Elphinstone so we spent a few days relaxing and meeting friends before heading out again through the pass in a couple of tacks and into Straights of Georgia. Only a light westerly, so we short tacked up the coast, coming close to shore each time; Gospel Rock, Gower Point, Chaster Creek, Camp Byng , Davis Bay and finally the breeze failed at nightfall and we made our way into Thormanby Island and dropped anchor near Pirate Rock. Not your ideal anchorage to say the least, but we held there until dawn. Into the dingy again at first light to gain some sea room and just in time too. We cleared Bertha Island with a light SE that rapidly built to 20 knots. Thane, self-steering wing and wing, sailed past Thormanby and into Malispina Straight. This was great sailing. THANE showed her SPRAY heritage, running before a good breeze, steady on course with helm centered and untouched.

A fine day: dozing, reading, wandering about on deck, designing and redesigning. Lying on the bowsprit, planning topmast spars and genoas, I noticed we'd picked up a 2-meter long plank across the bobstay fitting. Talk about a bone in her teeth. THANE was doing at least six knots in spite of pushing the plank and still self-steering. After futile prodding with boat hook, we rounded up and cleared the flotsam. Back on course, we ran past Grief Point and West View. By 2 PM we were becalmed at Emond's Beach just north of Sliamon. While I read and drifted in the sun, Elaine rowed ashore to phone her father in Lund and to beg some ice for the gin and tonics. Now resupplied and with a favorable drift we carried on past Dinner Rock to the iron mines just south of Lund . About 7 PM, Jens, Elaine's father, showed up with his tugboat, the OBI and took us alongside. By 8:30PM, we were dockside at Lund Marine. So ended THANE's first voyage as a pure sailor. Lund Marine became our home for six weeks while I installed a 4 cylinder Ford diesel and transformed THANE into an auxiliary or motor sailor depending on one's point of view.

For all the safety and convenience the motor gave us in cruising further north, we gave up a certain pureness and pride of self-reliance that is almost unknown today. Now heading out has as much kick as driving to Costco, but the sailing has never lost its appeal.
HDChopper likes this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 10-31-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Add photo bucket
Old 10-30-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Nice writing smack! You must be a real kick in the pants? I don't get the racing thing, been there & done that. I do get the ocean thing. It's like being in the arms of Mother Nature. Sometimes she's in a foul mood, and other times she's all lovey dovey.

Your writing makes me wish my batten will get here, so I can go for a sail. BEST WISHES on getting in some more ocean time........i2f
Thanks i2. I know that thus far I've only seen the lovey dovey side of the ocean. And I know that it's only a matter of time before I see her other side.

But I love being out there. No doubt.

Old 10-30-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
One always remember their first one, eh ! Here's my BFS.
TALL SHIP THANE'S FIRST VOYAGE
Now THAT'S a great story! Thanks Cap!!

Do you have any pics from back in the day?

Old 10-31-2011

Ok .So I think I've got a handle on photo bucket so her goes with Thane's pictures

Taking on water

Last edited by Capt Len; 10-31-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Ok .So I think I've got a handle on photo bucket so her goes with Thane's pictures [IMG]-http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff376/CaptLen/[/IMG-]
Cap, your link above just goes to the page with the pics. To link the actual pics here, roll over the pic and click in the IMG Code space to copy that code...then paste it here for each image. You should get this...

Old 10-31-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Wow.. cool...
Old 10-31-2011

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.