Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the multi messages... my minion had trouble sorting it out!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Capt Len;792334]Sorry for the multi messages... my minion had trouble sorting it out!

Old 11-13-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Definitely BFS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrinus View Post
So after nearly three months of "projecting" I finally got in my first ever sail.
although the PO offered to take me out to show me the basics, we (my son and I) decided to go and try our hand at this.

Wow what an awesome experience!
At first, it was like boooringgg - Wind was supposed to be about 10knts, but it didn't felt anything like it - then we got out from behind an island blocking the wind. She heeled over and picked up speed quickly.
OK! this was more like it.

Lots of fun - a few chicken gibes , a few "oh crap" moments when she heeled over more than a first-time-ever sailor felt comfortable with, but oh I'm sooo hooked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-21-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
I agree. Niiiiiice.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 11-21-2011

mightyhorton is on a distinguished road
Is this Bluewater Sailing, or What?!

I helped this friend get his boat, named Shanti, a 2007 Catalina 42, from the San Juans to Santa Barbara a year ago September, and then from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas last April and May. We had some good times on our voyages. I flew home from Tahiti, he carried on to Tonga, Samoa and bunch of other islands, and then with cyclone season approaching he chose to go back to Hawaii rather to NZ. He left Pago Pago and made it to Hawaii. He's not much of a writer, but what I got from him was pretty compelling so thought I'd share it. He's safely tucked in at Ko Olina marina on Oahu now.

I think this counts as a BFS. He was a complete rooky when we left the San Juans. He pulled into Ko Olina about a week ago. I know some of you would have done it differently, or might want to pick apart something, but, hey, step back and respect what he did. Here's what he sent me:

Mes Amis,
After 24 days from Pago Pago, Amer. Samoa via Penrhyn, Northern Cooks I arrived in Honolulu yesterday - 3,100nm. To Penrhyn beating on the nose with squalls like nothing I ever seen-up to 40 sustained at times-yes we reduced and got knocked around-it seemed like ITCZ corridor moved south to 9* and not a equator. At Penrhyn, Debbie M_______ my crew got off-couldn't take pounding and heeling. Ok with me, so went alone the last 2,000nm to Hono averaging 166nm daily with jenny last 7 days-got up to 11knots with full main and partially reefed jenny ALL on starboard tack the whole way! Learned a lot going thru the swells-needed more speed at times to keep wave from breaking THRU the cockpit and other times slowing down in confused seastate after being tossed around! Never saw another vessel and at 3*N45'' found equatorial countercurrent at 1-2knots going up as far as 8*N45''all on current out of west. Friend D_____ met me at marina with flower leis and champagne-what a voyage-Missed you guys but hey sometimes you gota go solo. In April I head from Kauai to Sitka, Alaska going down inside passage all next summer returning to Brown Island next Sept. after 2 years-hope we can meet somewhere along the way.
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhorton View Post
I helped this friend get his boat, named Shanti, a 2007 Catalina 42, from the San Juans to Santa Barbara a year ago September, and then from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas last April and May. We had some good times on our voyages. I flew home from Tahiti, he carried on to Tonga, Samoa and bunch of other islands, and then with cyclone season approaching he chose to go back to Hawaii rather to NZ. He left Pago Pago and made it to Hawaii. He's not much of a writer, but what I got from him was pretty compelling so thought I'd share it. He's safely tucked in at Ko Olina marina on Oahu now.

I think this counts as a BFS. He was a complete rooky when we left the San Juans. He pulled into Ko Olina about a week ago. I know some of you would have done it differently, or might want to pick apart something, but, hey, step back and respect what he did. Here's what he sent me:

Mes Amis,
After 24 days from Pago Pago, Amer. Samoa via Penrhyn, Northern Cooks I arrived in Honolulu yesterday - 3,100nm. To Penrhyn beating on the nose with squalls like nothing I ever seen-up to 40 sustained at times-yes we reduced and got knocked around-it seemed like ITCZ corridor moved south to 9* and not a equator. At Penrhyn, Debbie M_______ my crew got off-couldn't take pounding and heeling. Ok with me, so went alone the last 2,000nm to Hono averaging 166nm daily with jenny last 7 days-got up to 11knots with full main and partially reefed jenny ALL on starboard tack the whole way! Learned a lot going thru the swells-needed more speed at times to keep wave from breaking THRU the cockpit and other times slowing down in confused seastate after being tossed around! Never saw another vessel and at 3*N45'' found equatorial countercurrent at 1-2knots going up as far as 8*N45''all on current out of west. Friend D_____ met me at marina with flower leis and champagne-what a voyage-Missed you guys but hey sometimes you gota go solo. In April I head from Kauai to Sitka, Alaska going down inside passage all next summer returning to Brown Island next Sept. after 2 years-hope we can meet somewhere along the way.
Oh hell yes!!! Any pics? I'd love to put that in the Featured Throwdowns on the site!

Old 12-05-2011
Last Man Standing

Yo, Horton, could you check with your friend about me adding his story with a couple of the pics to the "Featured Throwdowns" section of the BFS site?

Just have him contact me here or via email: smackdaddy at (the site address in my sig).

I'd love to add it! And I'll send him some free BFS swag for his contribution!

Old 12-28-2011
Last Man Standing

Here's another great one - stolen from the Knockdowns thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdersegler View Post
Hi one and all,
I'm new here, and have just come accross this thread "Knockdowns", and thought that maybe my experience of an "Eskimo Roll" in the N.Atlantic would fit in.
Sailing in a 30ft, Murena from Bermuda to the Azores. We had 300 miles to go when we got cought in a cross sea and 9Bft, a very angry, frothing white wave (15 ft ) sounding like an express freight train hit us broadside and the world turned upside down. I was underdeck as it happened, the hinged hatch (stupid design ) opened up, the boards were washed into the boat with an awfull lot of cold, green sea water. " Oh ****, and now."
Nothing to do but wait and see. After some minutes I heard the freight train heading down on us once again, it hit us with full force and the world was the right way up, only the mast was now pointing in the wrong direction. To cut along story short, we were picked up by a container ship and taken to Canada.
bobdersegler.To the women of our land and the ships of our sea's, may the latter be well Capt'ned and the first well manned,
And the sig quote - classic.

Old 12-28-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Hey Smack,
Just got back from helping a friend deliver his Leopard 47 from Las Plamas, Gran Canaria to St. Georges, Grenada (specifically St. Davidís Bay). Rhumb line course was 2,760NM and we made it in just under 18 days. Not much in the mid-Atlantic but sky and lots of water. Winds were mostly in the 30ís with the occasional gale condition. Had the usual wear and tear on the boat such as chaffed lines, galled shackles and a snatch block that exploded. Blew the fuse in the wind generator when it over sped. Got the boat up to 15.7kts surfing some really big waves and three times averaged over 9kts for my two hour watch period. Not bad for sailing a boat the size of a condo!
Old 12-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Has the BFS region or whatever been picked yet? or are nominations up? or?!?!?!?!?

Mr Winston is lying down waiting for the suspense of seeing if he won this year!LOL