Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS The Gaffer in the photo is the Royal yacht belonging to King GoergeVII Great stuff BFS or what ? And only a anchor winch. Go Safe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Well, he wasn't really ready but he got it done. kudos for that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Well, he wasn't really ready but he got it done. kudos for that...
You said it.

Hey, CC, we upheld the annual tradition that started with you, dude! We had a great sail on New Year's Day. Some of the same conditions as our inaugural BFS together (cool, sunny, 20-25 knots, etc.) - but we skipped the jib busting this time. I've now shredded a 110 AND a 150!

Of course, as dirty as this replacement genny is - maybe I should try harder! Heh-heh.

Wish you could have been here dude!

Me and my buddy...

2 of the 3 ladies (my wife is the hot blonde)...

I love the spray blowing sideways.

Cue the Wagner music...

Hey - get me a pic of you in your BFS Hoodie dude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-10-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice. Way to uphold a new tradition. I froze my ass off in that hoodie on that Mariner 31 delivery but don't have a pic in it.

Old 01-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nice. Way to uphold a new tradition. I froze my ass off in that hoodie on that Mariner 31 delivery but don't have a pic in it.
WTH? You're supposed to wear layers knucklehead - not just the hoodie and flip-flops!

Old 01-10-2012
On the hard

I did, just not enough nor were they waterproof...

Old 01-13-2012
Last Man Standing

Look at this INSANE three-part BFS from sneuman!! Holy crap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
It looks like it's still online. Mind you, this was for a general audience, so a lot of the sailor details are left out.:

http://asap.ap.org/stories/510321.s
http://asap.ap.org/stories/512278.s
http://asap.ap.org/stories/514506.s

Quote:
The only photograph of that moment is the one forever fixed in my brain: Looking forward, I saw the cresting water curl over, burying the cabin and foredeck in a blur of foam.

My boat, Eroica, rolled a good 90 degrees, pitching John over the side, his safety harness straining to keep him from being washed to certain death. He managed to clamor aboard, we both glanced up at the cabin, and then at each other: "There goes the mast."
sneuman - you really need to snag that and post it here on SN so it doesn't get sucked into some archive. Great story. Great writing.

Old 01-15-2012
Last Man Standing

Have you practiced your MOB drill lately?

Global Ocean Race 2011-12 : Home

And do you think you'd never make a stupid move in heavy weather? From the MOB:
Quote:
Sam has learnt a valuable lesson: “It was a harsh lesson and one I will never forget,” he confirms. “You hear these stories and think, well that’s a bit stupid, but that’s not going to be me, which is a bit arrogant. It only takes a second for something to turn into a big disaster and I’ll be clipping on in future,” he adds.
For 28 year-old Conrad Colman, the rescue is a landmark moment: “My father was killed in an accident on a boat when I was 11 months-old when not wearing the appropriate safety equipment and, of course, that came rushing back,” he explains. “When I first tacked the boat back round I made a very conscious promise that I wasn’t going to let Sam be alone out there.”
Sail big...and stay safe.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2012
Last Man Standing

Another one joins the BFS Hall of Fame (dig that awesome hat, baby!):

James is another one of the coolest/best skippers I've sailed with. We had a blast in last year's "Race To The Border" racing his Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 "Rhapsody". Now he's doing a circumnavigation with his son...and growing a seriously gnarly beard...while hanging out in Montserrat.

That's about as big as it gets!

Follow him here: http://www.facebook.com/Rhapsody.PSC37

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
I posted this video on a thread about home built boats a week ago. It got me thinking that, dam, that day was def a bfs for me (although it doesn't compare to some of the big offshore sails shared here).

fast wa'apa outrigger canoe sailing - YouTube

I built the boat, a 24' open outrigger canoe, with my girlfriends father last winter. Every bit is home made, from rudder to sails. We stored it on the beach at the sandy hook Catamaran club. Every year they hold a 19 mile race from sandy hook, nj to the statue of liberty and back. Most of the boats are small beach cats, and we were the first home built to get into the race. The day started out with little wind. A few lucky racers found an area of wind, and made it to the statue. We got about halfway in all light airs, but after 4 hours we realized there wasn't enough time in the day to finish. So we circumnavigated one of the light houses before heading back. On the way back, the light wind totally died and we began getting pulled out by a 3 knot current into the ocean. Helplessly and motorless, we drifted further and further out as the swells built to 6'. We paddled frantically to avoid being swept into huge channel markers. 6' swells aren't scary unless ur on an open boat with about 9 inches fretboard, hoping the bow doesn't dig in and swamp you, with about 3 hours of sun left and a strong tide pulling you into the open ocean.

We played the winds and current a bit, paddling a little to try and get somewhere with some wind. Some of the other beach cat racers were in trouble too, and followed us as best as they could. Eventually we found some wind, and as the sun got lower in the sky the sea breeze picked up. Soon we were doing 7 knots beating across the bay back to the club, trying not to bury the ama into the choo. That's what we were doing in the video. An exhilarating sail after what seemed like it would be a neverending paddle in the dark. That's sailing at its best.