Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
now for the BIG Freekin solutation question of the day.......see the BFS thread on SA has reappeared, should I sign in to see the links tuffie and smackie are hulring insults at ea other with.......or ngfw!
Old 03-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
now for the BIG Freekin solutation question of the day.......see the BFS thread on SA has reappeared, should I sign in to see the links tuffie and smackie are hulring insults at ea other with.......or ngfw!
Cones. Hundreds of cones. Not worth the login.

It's a little game Tuffie and I play in the BFS thread there. The dude has a serious fixation on cones - but it's actually pretty light-hearted.

At first it was his attempt to shut the thread down...like that's ever stopped me. Now it's just tradition.

I don't mind it. BFS threads are all very different on each forum. That's cool with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012

OK got it!

Went pretty good today, skipper thinks we got a 2nd in division, top 5-10 OA out of 60 some odd boats. Started windy, went to 0, got back up to the 20's down to 0 up, up and into mid 20s to finish. lots of sail changes, wind shift or two or three.......fun day on a Waiquiez centurion 40s. Quick boat for what it is!

Marty
Old 03-05-2012

Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Well, the OA scoring was nt correct, had us mid pack initially, club re looked at the scores, we came in 2nd in division, and 2nd OA! Not a bad day, dispite a port tack start, went thru all the SB starters just fine.......LOLOL

Marty
Old 03-11-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That was a bit of nasty flog on that jib. The skip was pretty laid back though.

I assume this is the point (45 knots) you go to storm sails and start running (in open water of course)?
No place to run to with San Juan close to port, about two miles away. Ya sure don't wanna try running Cattle Pass in that. Been there in that very same spot with the same winds more than once.

Old 03-11-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

That's me on the far left, on the cabin top, trying to wrestle the main down whilst we were heeled 50degrees, doing 7knots under jib whilst being whacked by 30knot squall winds. Does that count as a BFS?
smackdaddy and oysterman23 like this.

Old 03-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
That's me on the far left, on the cabin top, trying to wrestle the main down whilst we were heeled 50degrees, doing 7knots under jib whilst being whacked by 30knot squall winds. Does that count as a BFS?
Oh hell yeah!

Great pic Paul!!!

Old 03-12-2012

PCP777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Too true, dude.

Here they are in this past off-shore race we did:

Harvest Moon Regatta Throwdown

These chicks can sail.
Great read, I've always wanted to do the Harvest Moon. Looks like you guys had an awesome time. Those unlit rigs were scary.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 03-16-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
Great read, I've always wanted to do the Harvest Moon. Looks like you guys had an awesome time. Those unlit rigs were scary.
Thanks. It was really a fun race. And you're right - those rigs are freaky. I'd say it was scarier on the "Race to the Border" race last summer because we were much more "in them" and the stuff was smaller and less visible. But it's still something you really have to watch.

You really ought to watch the GBCA website for crew requests. You'll be able to find a ride on one of these.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2012
Last Man Standing

A fine BFS from luck66...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
Before going out on the Columbia River the other day , I checked the weather report and was informed that the wind would be 10 to 20 mph. This is good for meas the river runs East West, so it will be a reach or a beam reach up river. When the wind is South-ish there is little fech, and the wind waves are small, on the section of river I sail. On my way out, the wind was pushing 15 knots, so I reefed the main, which took tim wind increased to 25 knots and clocked e as I was solo sailing, which is what I often do during the week as most people who sail have day jobs. With reefed main and jib at 100% (a partley furled 110 jib) I was sailing up river at a good clip. The wind increased to 25 knots and clockedaround to the South some. All was fine until it gusted to 29 knots and the boat wanted to round up. I let the main out and corrected course to keep the boat running parallel to the shore. The ride up river was a heart pounding fast. Working the main and tiller as each gust came and went , was fun for me and a lot of work. There was onr other boat out on the river, but my Cascade 29 could not close the gap to the Hunter 40. We sailed about 10 miles up river. I was working the main and tiller constantly, even with the main all the way out I was still over powewed; So I furled several more turns on the jib. Now the wind was 29 knots and guesting to 34 knots. For a few minutes snow came with a fearless blast. I looked back down river and spied white caps dancing across the river. Spray was jumping over the bow of my boat, and I was having a real thrill ride. It became time to change tack. Coming about in high wind is a real rush. After getting the boat turned, to go down river, I only had a short time to consider options for taking down sail. I elected to power into the wind, to take down the main. Hove-to would not have worked as the North bank of the river limited my sea room. After arriving home, I searched through my ships log. Going back through several years of entries I have recorded on average three trips a year with like conditions. I love this place