Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Check this juicy BFS out from maui! A killer soundtrack with it as well...blame it on my ADD baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiboy86 View Post
We were bringing Fate back to Charleston March 3rd from Wrightsville Beach, and had to sail through the gale that produced the Tornado's and deaths on land... for about 5 hours during the middle of the night the winds were gusting up to 45 knots NW, heavy rains with temps in the 40s, we couldn't see the waves but the spray was blowing sideways and the noise was loud... in the morning the winds shifted SW starting out around 20kts and eventually steady 30 with higher gusts right on the nose. Half the crew had zero experience or was sick so I kept sails small and didnt try to push the boat hard but I still didn't get any sleep. The boat handled great with no problems, even after flooding the cockpit a few times during the night when we got overpowered by the strongest gusts. Just wish I had night vision cameras to catch the worst of it.

Video removed due to commercial content in violation of forum rules. Jeff_H SailNet Moderator
Just saw that Jeff removed the embed. Understandable. But it's a really good vid. Go check it out on YouTube by searching:

"Sailing from Wrightsville Beach NC to Charleston SC Beneteau 49 Sailboat"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-19-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Check this juicy BFS out from maui! A killer soundtrack with it as well...blame it on my ADD baby!

Just saw that Jeff removed the embed. Understandable. But it's a really good vid. Go check it out on YouTube by searching:

"Sailing from Wrightsville Beach NC to Charleston SC Beneteau 49 Sailboat"
Awesome video! $hit eating grin at 1:07 is priceless.

MedSalor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Swan 48 in some nasty stuff (TS Sean) in last year's NARC:

They were 80 miles from Bermuda, but couldn't make it in and sailed all the way back to Charleston.

Interesting use of the Galerider while hove-to.
peterchech likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-23-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Nice vid. Is that a torn to shreds jib I see starting about halfway up the mast?

I never saw the main out with the jib backed, isn't that what it means to heave to?

Why was the storm rider deployed off the rail?
Old 03-24-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Nice vid. Is that a torn to shreds jib I see starting about halfway up the mast?

I never saw the main out with the jib backed, isn't that what it means to heave to?

Why was the storm rider deployed off the rail?
I found these videos via Drake Paragon's channel where he interviewed the skipper. You should look it up. It's good.

2011 NARC Rally Nightmare, Part 1 - An interview with captain AJ Smith from Swan 48 Bella Luna - YouTube

As to your questions, from what I remember:

1. The headsail unwrapped a bit up top in the wind - then kept pulling out until they had a big bubble at the top catching wind. They thought they were going to lose the rig, as it was a kevlar sail and wouldn't rip to relieve the pressure. It finally let go into what you see in the vid - much to their relief. They then hanked on a storm sail on a baby stay the skipper had insisted the owner install for them. That baby stay saved them and the boat according to the skip.

2. They were hove to with the storm jib. You can see it backed in that shot with the galerider.

3. Drake asked the same question. Apparently the skip rigged it that way because they were surfing sideways down the waves. And he wanted to try to maintain a course toward Bermuda.

Another scary thing the skip mentioned was that they took on about 2000 gallons of water inside the boat (about 18" above the sole) when the speedo transducer was shot out of the thru-hull (blowing out the threads) from the water pressure after coming off a big wave. Basically blew a hole in the boat. They had plugs and were able to stop the leak and pump out, but they lost all electronics, the engine, etc.

These guys did a great job bringing that boat home.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-24-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
3. Drake asked the same question. Apparently the skip rigged it that way because they were surfing sideways down the waves. And he wanted to try to maintain a course toward Bermuda.
This technique has been tried (pioneered?) by Morgan's Cloud.
Galerider Drogue Launched Off Bow Stops Wave Strikes While Heaved-to

If you haven't heard of them, spend a while on their website. They're the real thing and they write very even-handed articles and reviews. They're like the Beth and Evans of the high-latitudes North instead of south.

MedSailor

Old 03-25-2012
Last Man Standing

The VOR guys are taking a beating in the Southern Ocean. Watch the crew to starboard clip in after hanging vertically for a moment...

jameswilson29 and peterchech like this.

Old 03-25-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I noticed the vor guys rarely clip in, at least in all th videos I've seen. Overconfidence? Or on a competitive racing boat like these boys, maybe clipping in gets in the way except in the most extreme conditions? Either way, seems to me the most preventable way to die is by simply not clipping in...
Old 03-25-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
The VOR guys are taking a beating in the Southern Ocean. Watch the crew to starboard clip in after hanging vertically for a moment...

You know it's going to hurt when the helmsman completely lets go of the wheel and dives to the deck in anticipation of the wave strike. Watch the helmsman on the first wave strike, looks like he tries to assume a flying version of the "duck and cover" position.

After he lets go of the wheel, he looses his grip on whatever he grabbed (off screen) to starboard, and starts sliding down the deck to leward. As he's sliding down the deck he hooks the wheel with his arm to keep him from sliding all the way down and possibly overboard.

I'd venture to guess that there might be a puddle or two of slightly warmer water in that cockpit after that wave.

MedSailor
peterchech likes this.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-25-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2012
Last Man Standing

Actually, if you look closely, the helmsman is held by his tether...not his grip on the wheel (look at 0:11). They look to all be wearing harnesses at least...and I bet they are tethered in.

It does show you how quickly and easily you can go over, though, eh?

Imagine what it was like down below (no warning) - especially for the dudes in the starboard bunks!!!

I think that was Iker poking his head out of the companion-way afterward yelling "Esta bien?"

(Man, I can't believe this thread has almost 200K views. That's freakin' cool.)