Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Heading out Thursday for another ocean race. It's relatively short - 100 miles round trip - and skirts the coast. It will be fun/scary dodging the unlit rigs again.

Weather looks perfect right now (10-15 knots with 2'-4' seas).

And, after the last couple of tragic events we've read about, I will work extra hard to be as safe and alert as I possibly can.

I'll report back soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Go for it Smack! Clip in and keep an eye out for freighters, and post a pic with some BFS gear! (I'll get one up soon myself)
Old 05-01-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

have fun - and win

Old 05-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Well, the race was really fun. And we won, and took third.

It was actually broken into two races over two days...from Galveston to Freeport, then the return the next day.

The first leg was a full-fleet race with a staggered start based on PHRF. We were second across the line and had a bit of a loose beat all the way to Freeport. We rolled the boat in front of us within 5 miles, doing 7+ knots in 15-20knot winds - and were out in front the rest of the day. We kept first overall until the last 5 miles when the wind started dying to 8-10 and clocking around to head us, killing our speed.

Being a Pearson 365 Ketch - she's a pig in light air. It was excruciating being so close yet so slow. So, we were passed by 2 Beneteau 40s who had a better line in the last couple of miles. But 3rd overall wasn't bad sailing considering there were several J-Boats and a MacGregor 65 in the fleet.

The race back was broken into 3 classes, PHRF-Spin, PHRF-Non-Spin and Pursuit (for us slow boats). We easily won our class (by almost an hour) and were only passed by the spin fleet. No other non-spin boats caught us.

The winds were between 15-22 knots the whole way back, with 4-6 seas. Just perfect. We were on a beam reach holding 6+ knots the whole way. Steering was pretty tiring with the rolly seas but it was a freakin' blast! Write-up and pics coming soon.

I like this whole winning ocean races thing.

(Please direct all sponsorship inquiries to my agent.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-07-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the win, Smack. Glad to hear that you guys didnít run into anything and that you guys finished up on top of the heap! Is there a website for the race? After a three year hiatus, the olí Cal 40 came out of retirement and we did the Vallejo-YRA season opener last weekend where we finished 1st in Saturdayís downwind race. And missed out on first by only 3 seconds on the uphill return leg on Sunday. We race PHRF 04 (boats between 102 and 117 PHRF). You got to get that Pearson owner to man-up and buy a kite. Out of the 250+ boats that did Vallejo, there were less than a dozen in the non-spin division.
Old 05-07-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Congratulations on the win, Smack. Glad to hear that you guys didn’t run into anything and that you guys finished up on top of the heap! Is there a website for the race? After a three year hiatus, the ol’ Cal 40 came out of retirement and we did the Vallejo-YRA season opener last weekend where we finished 1st in Saturday’s downwind race. And missed out on first by only 3 seconds on the uphill return leg on Sunday. We race PHRF 04 (boats between 102 and 117 PHRF). You got to get that Pearson owner to man-up and buy a kite. Out of the 250+ boats that did Vallejo, there were less than a dozen in the non-spin division.
Thanks dude! And congrats on your podiums. I bet that Cal 40 is fun.

Yes...here's a link to the site:

2012 HYC Offshore Regatta - Series Standing

We were on "Blame it on Buffet" in the pursuit class. There were actually 3 boats in our class, but only two are listed. I don't know why the 3rd dropped. The second-place boat is a Caliber 40.

Also, they don't have the first leg results (where we took third) - just the return results (where we took first). Here's a quick pic of the skip with the 3rd place plaque for the first leg:

Look at our corrected time versus the fleet! I'd say we sailed the hell out of that Pearson - kite or no. Even kept up with this monster:

Thanks for all the encouragement on this big sailing and racing stuff George (and others). It's absolutely amazing to be doing this.

I'm convinced that off-shore racing would do ALL boat owners good. It doesn't have to be competitive - but it's ALWAYS fun...ALWAYS educational...and ALWAYS...

(PS - I bet we'll start flying a kite soon now that the skip has the taste of trophy in his mouth.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2012
Last Man Standing

This trailer has been rated PG-13 by the Gnarly Sailor Board of America...

Old 05-09-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Mid-boom sheeting. Chart plotter at the helm instead of under the dodger. NO DODGER. We won't even talk about racing with a bimini up.

Fail.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-09-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Mid-boom sheeting. Chart plotter at the helm instead of under the dodger. NO DODGER. We won't even talk about racing with a bimini up.

Win.
Heh-heh. Fixed it for you.

Maybe you missed the part where we actually took FIRST IN CLASS, baby!

AND we had the second fastest corrected time for the entire fleet which included some very fast race boats...with spins (see linky above for results).

Look, don't blame me for being awesome and making a freakin' full-keeled cruising ketch run like a scalded dog. It's just what I do.

Old 05-09-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Smack, fun trailer, can’t wait for the movie. Like to see more of the Pearson action. I saw on the chart plotter that you were running at 6.7 kts. Not bad. What was the crew size, three or four? Being in the “Pursuit” class, did that mean you started early based on your PHRF number? Or does this have a different meaning in the Gulf. Nice to note that everybody (including the big Mac) sails with a bimini. We are even getting one when we head down to Mexico in a couple of years. Again, congrats on a race well sailed.