Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, fun trailer, can’t wait for the movie. Like to see more of the Pearson action. I saw on the chart plotter that you were running at 6.7 kts. Not bad. What was the crew size, three or four? Being in the “Pursuit” class, did that mean you started early based on your PHRF number? Or does this have a different meaning in the Gulf. Nice to note that everybody (including the big Mac) sails with a bimini. We are even getting one when we head down to Mexico in a couple of years. Again, congrats on a race well sailed.
We hit 7.3 at the start, with 18-22 knots of wind (perfect conditions). I think that was our top speed. Things lightened a bit during the day, but we maintained 6+ for most of the race.

We had a crew of 3 - but Kat is a bit of newb and was along to learn (although she was very enthusiastic and a hell of a lot of fun). So the steering, trimming, grinding, bow, etc. was left to Jim and myself.

You're right about the Pursuit class. We started early based on PHRF. What was great though was that only the spin boats caught us. As long as we've got 15+ knots of wind that Pearson will really move. But, man, she's a 20,000lb pig in light air.

And I'm with you on the bimini. I actually prefer this kind of "fast cruising" to the hardcore racing. I just like getting out there and sailing - seeing how much we can get out of the boat - but still having great food, comfy seats, some shade, very little screaming, and lots of fun.

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Big seas and Hugh winds today!

Heading out into 20kt winds and 5-7' seas. This is big for me!!

Double reefing and eating light.

Wish me luck! I'll report back later.
smackdaddy likes this.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 05-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakAwayFL View Post
Big seas and Hugh winds today!

Heading out into 20kt winds and 5-7' seas. This is big for me!!

Double reefing and eating light.

Wish me luck! I'll report back later.
Sail big, stay safe, and have fun Break. And take a couple of pics if you can!

Old 05-14-2012

Forgot the camera on shore, but what a magnificent day! Seas were light at 2-4 and the wind was blowing at around 18. The sails were straining as I sailed under perhaps a bit too much sail (single reef only with the full 130 out in front).

The sea was frothing along the sides as Serenity tore through the water like a bat out of hell. I've never seen her go so fast before.

Definitely not how I would prefer to sail all the time, but this was definitely awesome!
MedSailor and smackdaddy like this.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 05-14-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Forgot the camera on shore, but what a magnificent day! Seas were light at 2-4 and the wind was blowing at around 18. The sails were straining as I sailed under perhaps a bit too much sail (single reef only with the full 130 out in front).

The sea was frothing along the sides as Serenity tore through the water like a bat out of hell. I've never seen her go so fast before.

Definitely not how I would prefer to sail all the time, but this was definitely awesome!
Congrats break. When you use words like "magnificent", "bat out of hell", "definitely awesome" - you know you've just BFSed.

Old 05-15-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:

BFS certification questionnaire:

Did anyone die?
Anyone go go overboard?
Did you break anything that you can't afford to replace?
After the sail do you have a distant look in your eye and a $hit-eating grin on your face?

If you answered:
No.
No.
No.
and Yes

Then you did NOT have too much sail up, and you DID have a BFS!

Now go do it again, before the feeling wears off!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-15-2012

no
no
no
YES!!!

I'm out again this weekend!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 05-15-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
BFS certification questionnaire:

Did anyone die?
Anyone go go overboard?
Did you break anything that you can't afford to replace?
After the sail do you have a distant look in your eye and a $hit-eating grin on your face?

If you answered:
No.
No.
No.
and Yes

Then you did NOT have too much sail up, and you DID have a BFS!

Now go do it again, before the feeling wears off!

MedSailor
Bingo.

Old 05-25-2012
Last Man Standing

Sailing a Hunter 25 170 miles on a rudder made from a 2X12 from Home Depot? Why the hell not?

Here's a crazy cool, Hall-of-Fame-Worthy BFS by dub, nc and scott...

Shoestring Hunter Adventure

Nc_Sailor and sailorscott like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-25-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Round here (Tasmania) as I've mentioned before, big freakin' winds are fairly common. So big freakin' sails tend to be fairly dangerous. The heaviest weather I've been in involved a storm jib and huge seas. Although preferably, a triple reefed main is my weapon of choice for these conditions, with no headsail. Been way out in the deep blue (actually it's more grey-green) southern ocean in a small boat in respectable winds and even more respectable seas. I don't like it. I prefer to get along in 15-25k with maybe a single reef and a number three. Fast and comfortable. Forty years of experience has taught me how to handle heavy weather. But I still view it as something you get caught in, rather than something you sail into deliberately. I like to slip along nicely, rather than having the bejesus punched out of me and freezing cold at the same time. Sometimes while heavy weather sailing, I've asked myself why the @@@###!! I'm doing this. But there you go, I've always gone out again.