Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Round here (Tasmania) as I've mentioned before, big freakin' winds are fairly common. So big freakin' sails tend to be fairly dangerous. The heaviest weather I've been in involved a storm jib and huge seas. Although preferably, a triple reefed main is my weapon of choice for these conditions, with no headsail. Been way out in the deep blue (actually it's more grey-green) southern ocean in a small boat in respectable winds and even more respectable seas. I don't like it. I prefer to get along in 15-25k with maybe a single reef and a number three. Fast and comfortable. Forty years of experience has taught me how to handle heavy weather. But I still view it as something you get caught in, rather than something you sail into deliberately. I like to slip along nicely, rather than having the bejesus punched out of me and freezing cold at the same time. Sometimes while heavy weather sailing, I've asked myself why the @@@###!! I'm doing this. But there you go, I've always gone out again.
Cherp, I think you nailed it. There is a not-so-fine line between having a blast sailing in big conditions and working too hard or struggling in bad conditions. I have no clue what the Southern Ocean is like to sail. I can say that after following the VOR and Vendee so closely - it is a very sobering place. And you freakin' live there!!!!

There are lots of incredible storm stories in this thread. And, as everyone knows, those are the best sailing yarns around. But your're right, no one wants to go out looking for a serious storm...well except the VOR guys who actually do exactly that and sail right into them. Go figure.

I have a huge respect for your 40 years sailing around Hobart. That's real deal sailing. And I can totally understand how you grow much more wise after enduring some nasty weather over those years. So your perspective means a lot.

But that's the strange thing about BFS isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Sometimes while heavy weather sailing, I've asked myself why the @@@###!! I'm doing this. But there you go, I've always gone out again.
I'd love to see some pics of you sailing in those waters. It must be an incredible place. Hopefully I can sail down there one day. My dream is to do the Sydney-Hobart. Gotta make that happen somehow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-26-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Just promoted The Shoestring Hunter Posse to the coveted "Featured Throwdown" on the site:

Featured Throwdown : BFSshop.com

Thanks for the great adventure Andy, Scott and Jesse! That's what BFS is all about.

Old 08-05-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

My first BFS.

After a successful night of nerdowelling in Victoria, I procured a ride back to my boat anchored in Tod Inlet on Van. Island for my bike and I. Was quite happy and a little shocked to find the Folly almost exactly where I left her (It was the first time I've ever anchored overnight, as well as leaving her unattended at anchor. The night in town had definitely been with the risk). After spending the morning layzing around on the hook recuperating, I decided to motor over to Blue's Bayou Cafe for a late brunch before heading back to my mooring in Cowichan Bay, 15nm away.

Heading down to the dock after a very delicious meal, I was very heartened to feel the breeze picking up out of the west, it would be a nice beam reach all the way home. In the distance I could see several sailboats out on Brentwood Bay but only one had a sail up, a 50 foot ketch flying a single jib. With my five months of sailing experice I mentally mocked these sailors for not taking advantage of the sunny skies and stiff breeze. Casting off I motored past all the moored boats thinking to myself that the wind felt a little stronger then normal. I reasoned that it must just be the apparent wind because I was motoring, to be on the safe side I decided to start out with just my genoa. Pointing my bow into the wind I quickly lashed the tiller, hopped on deck, raised the foresail, hopped back in the cockpit, and changed course to north, promptly finding myself standing on the sides of the starboard seats hanging on to a port side stanchion with one hand and the tiller with the other watching the water zoom by just below my feet as my (pFolly heeled over to 35+ degrees. I now realized why no one else was sailing, the winds were significantly stronger then the 10 to 15 knots I was used to.
After several tense moments I realized I wasn't going to capsize, my book was right Cal 25s are a forgiving boat. Not sure what to do I started the motor as the wind blew me back and forth between a port and starboard tack. The best course of action seemed to be to drop the sail so next time I was on the starboard tack with the sail backwinding I tied off the tiller , went foreward and wrestled down the genoa.

With the sail down and stowed I settled in for a long noisy motor home, my engine being a 25hp 2stroke. After about a half hour of motoring my heart started to calm down, the adrenaline slacked off and my eyes returned to their normal size. under barepoles I was still heeled over 10 to 15 degrees. Realizing that if I want to sail around the Pacific I was going to have to learn how to handle these kind of conditions, so I decided to raise my normal jib. Pointing the bow into the wind I banked on the foresail as fast as possible, put myself back on a beam reach and felt my heart start racing again as I watched the gauge go back to 20 degrees of heel. Each gust pushed to 25 making me grip the tiller that much harder. After a while I came to the conclusion that despite my book saying that you should try to keep your boat under 15 degrees of heel 25 wasn't going to capsize her and I was able to sit back and enjoy the very exhilerating ride.

On getting back to my mooring I found my radio turned it on and found out that winds were 25-30 knots gusting to 40.

That's my first BFS. I admit that there were some errors in judgment made by me, but I survived, the boat survived, I learned some stuff and consider myself a better sailor for it.

Last edited by Agri; 08-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2012
Last Man Standing

Oh hell yeah!!

Nice go Agri! Any sail that starts off with "nerdowelling" has got BFS written all over it!

I love your attitude.

Old 08-06-2012

harryparker59 is on a distinguished road

Bfs is fine until you break equipment and break bones because you went out in it on purpose instead of caught in it ,,,, O maybe 500 miles offshore where you can't run and can't hide. I've been sailing for 55 years and think it might be the greatest pastime humans are allowed. If you ever think about taking a reef,it is probably too late for people with little experience. Heavy weather sailing can be quite exciting if you have the boat, equipment and mostly the experience and skills for it. Otherwise you would be well advised to stay with the "beer can regatta" Forget setting a spinnaker in 50 knots of breeze, let me know when you have had a successful take down in 60 knots.
Old 08-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryparker59 View Post
Bfs is fine until you break equipment and break bones because you went out in it on purpose instead of caught in it ,,,, O maybe 500 miles offshore where you can't run and can't hide. I've been sailing for 55 years and think it might be the greatest pastime humans are allowed. If you ever think about taking a reef,it is probably too late for people with little experience. Heavy weather sailing can be quite exciting if you have the boat, equipment and mostly the experience and skills for it. Otherwise you would be well advised to stay with the "beer can regatta" Forget setting a spinnaker in 50 knots of breeze, let me know when you have had a successful take down in 60 knots.
Yeah - not everyone gets it.

Old 08-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Holy crap! The Pacific Seacraft dudes are ripping it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
I took Emerald out in winds gusting to 30-35 knots apparent last spring to shake her down and find out what a PSC34 could do... it was a lot of fun. The winds were out of the west and up here in New England that means lots of wind, but no waves. Here's a link to the trailer that my crew made after the sail:

pushing her hard

Old 08-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
lots of wind, but no waves
Now does it really get better than that ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-16-2012
Last Man Standing

Although whoever is driving this boat is absolutely insane...I've love this shot:

Old 08-17-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

I can answer that in a pm smacker. I know the fellow rather well and actually helped him tie up 2 days after the crossing of the Wide Bay Bar.

Incidently, he said the trip was 'uneventful!'